FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1149275-flyertalker-files-suit-against-tsa-merged-threads.html)

barbell Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Sorry if this has been posted, but I've looked around and don't see it mentioned.

A businessman in MIA has apparently filed suit to stop both the NoS and the sexual assault. He isn't seeking monetary damages, but here's what he wants (in part):

Permanent injunctive relief requiring the Defendant to discontinue the requirement that "ordinary air passengers" submit to searches that involve nude body scanners or pat downs that touch genital, buttock, or breast areas, except that nothing herein shall be interpreted as preventing the Defendant from using these methods as optional screening methods or as methods of screening when probable cause or other reasonable suspicion would make it prudent.
He apparently has started a blog, tsaoutofourpants.wordpress.com

FetePerfection Nov 17, 2010 3:01 pm

I haven't seen it anywhere so thanks for posting...btw, yet another opportunity to post some retorts to the idiots.

doober Nov 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Good for him and thanks for passing it on!

Affection Nov 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Your FL businessman happens to be a FlyerTalk member. :)

I've been registered since '04 under a different username (can't remember password and changed e-mail :() and '07 under this username, reading moreso than posting, although for some reason it didn't cross my mind to read FlyerTalk before filing suit.

I'm glad (though not suprised!) to see that most of you are quite opposed to the new screening methods, and I hope my suit has some positive impact for all of us.

Thanks for the link!

--Jon

dagowolf Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

One of the liberties that they haven't taken away from us that we can use to push the issue. If people can sue for spilling hot coffee on themselves I think we can flood the courts with suits to stop this madness.

FetePerfection Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm

So cool Jon! Welcome back and thanks for standing up for pax everywhere.

NotaCriminal Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Affection (Post 15176673)
I'm glad (though not suprised!) to see that most of you are quite opposed to the new screening methods, and I hope my suit has some positive impact for all of us.

Thanks for the link!

--Jon

Thank you for filing!

eyecue Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Interesting, not entirely factual but interesting.

VonS Nov 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 15177326)

What part do you find to not be factual? Kindly enlighten us.

firespirit Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Excellent!

makfan Nov 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Affection (Post 15176673)
Your FL businessman happens to be a FlyerTalk member. :)

I've been registered since '04 under a different username (can't remember password and changed e-mail :() and '07 under this username, reading moreso than posting, although for some reason it didn't cross my mind to read FlyerTalk before filing suit.

Thanks for the link!

--Jon

Thanks for filing. This has got to stop.

Fredd Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Welcome (back) to FT. ^ Good on you and please keep us posted. ^ ^

jordanmills Nov 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Awesome! Thanks!

Affection Nov 17, 2010 4:19 pm

lol according to his profile, he works for the TSA, which would explain his comment. ;) But, I'd be interested in hearing what he thinks is inaccurate, if he does legitimately think so. I actually don't expect the government to challenge the facts of my case at all, but rather to try and find a technicality or try to persuade a jury that it's reasonable for them to be in our pants.

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 15177326)

--Jon

JSFox Nov 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Excellent on pushing it to reasonable suspicion!

It'll be interesting to see which of the suits gets accepted by SCOTUS. This one seems well balanced (on 1 minute review) and could do well.