Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
Interesting, not entirely factual but interesting.
Hmm, I'm also curious why you say that since every fact I read in the article has also been stated by senior TSA officials in the last week. Exactly which fact do you believe is inaccurate?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by VonS
What part do you find to not be factual? Kindly enlighten us.
1. There is no such thing as an enhanced pat down. The proper term is "standard pat down."
2. The term nude body scanner. If it was nude why would you scan it?
3. Number 13 says that the enhanced pat down involves touching the buttocks and breasts. That is not new nor is the method used when it is done.
4. Number 14 starts the hearsay.
5. Number 15 states the standard patdown. Before this it was "bulk item" full body or limited patdown.
6. The heresay stops at item 24.
7. 26 is without basis.
8. In respect to number 30 If those things were known, TSA would be without a grounds to exist.

I know that there are some here that are going to say that I am nit picking. I am not, you have to have your act together to file something like this. There is an old saying about the devil in the details.

I dont have any idea how this is going to work out. I would not have the where with all to file something like this in Federal Court. IT takes some pelotas to do this. I will give him that. I hope that it turns out good for him but in the mean time he is seeking relief for himself. That would turn out to be interesting in itself because there are a lot of issues if he gets it granted.
I can see this taking a long time to get through.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
1. There is no such thing as an enhanced pat down. The proper term is "standard pat down."
Is there not also an "Alarm Resolution Pat Down"?

Originally Posted by Affection
I've been registered since '04 under a different username (can't remember password and changed e-mail ) and '07 under this username, reading moreso than posting, although for some reason it didn't cross my mind to read FlyerTalk before filing suit.

I'm glad (though not suprised!) to see that most of you are quite opposed to the new screening methods, and I hope my suit has some positive impact for all of us.
Welcome back! ^
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:57 pm
Suspended

I hope so. I think I may be the first person to argue pro se in the Supreme Court.

Originally Posted by JSFox
Excellent on pushing it to reasonable suspicion!

It'll be interesting to see which of the suits gets accepted by SCOTUS. This one seems well balanced (on 1 minute review) and could do well.
--Jon
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:58 pm

And we have always been at war with Eurasia, double plus good!

Seriously though just because the TSA has redefined the 'enhanced' pat down as the new standard pat down doesn't' mean referring to it as enhanced is untrue. I think a jury of the plaintiff's peers would agree with me too.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. The term nude body scanner. If it was nude why would you scan it?
3. Number 13 says that the enhanced pat down involves touching the buttocks and breasts. That is not new nor is the method used when it is done.
5. Number 15 states the standard patdown. Before this it was "bulk item" full body or limited patdown.
7. 26 is without basis.
8. In respect to number 30 If those things were known, TSA would be without a grounds to exist.

I know that there are some here that are going to say that I am nit picking. I am not, you have to have your act together to file something like this. There is an old saying about the devil in the details.

I dont have any idea how this is going to work out. I would not have the where with all to file something like this in Federal Court. IT takes some pelotas to do this. I will give him that. I hope that it turns out good for him but in the mean time he is seeking relief for himself. That would turn out to be interesting in itself because there are a lot of issues if he gets it granted.
I can see this taking a long time to get through.
Lets start with #1. TSA used the term Enhanced Pat Down on the TSA Blog.

It was the title to a post made by Bob Burns, TSA employee and TSA blogger.

Enhanced Pat-downs

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/enhanced-pat-downs.html

I'll let others deal with the rest of your comments.

edit to add: Be sure to call TSA's Curtis Bob Burns as a witness, he will be easy to impeach.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:12 pm

Thank you, Jon, for stepping up againest these unreasonable searches. Keep us updated on how it goes.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
EXCELLENT JOB!

Just one question: on the first age it notes that that plaintiff is Jonathan Corbett. Further down the same page (item #6) it notes that the plaintiff is the United States of America through its agency DHS and TSA. I thought USA (DHS/TSA) is the defendant.

Is this a discrepancy? Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Thank you for taking this important step!

It seems as though the courts are all too often the only bulwark we have against this nonsense.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:37 pm
Suspended

You indeed caught a typo -- thank you. I'm sure an amended complaint will be filed at some point, but in the meantime, I don't think the court (or anyone else) will be too confused as to the intent.

Regarding our TSA agent's notes of "hearsay," that doesn't make it any less true. There is nothing that prevents me from describing the circumstances that have happened to others as long as I can prove it at trial or through discovery (which I easily can -- all I'd have to do is call the people mentioned as witnesses or deposition them). There are SO many people that have been abused by the TSA, though, that I doubt the defendant will even challenge these facts.

Originally Posted by TXagogo
EXCELLENT JOB!

Just one question: on the first age it notes that that plaintiff is Jonathan Corbett. Further down the same page (item #6) it notes that the plaintiff is the United States of America through its agency DHS and TSA. I thought USA (DHS/TSA) is the defendant.

Is this a discrepancy? Thanks!
--Jon
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Dear Mr. Affection,
I'm glad I could do my part even if it is as minor as catching a typo. I want to applaud you for your bravery and thank you for taking the time and energy to stand up for yourself and all Americans. I am not a fanatic or a radical in any way. I just believe that the atrocities that are being perpetrated against us are unfathomable. Please do not back down. Take this as far as you can. I wish I had the time and resources to do this myself but in the meanwhile I will support you as much as I can by fighting along on the sidelines.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
----
----
Your post was in response to this quotation (in its entirety):
Originally Posted by VonS
What part do you find to not be factual? Kindly enlighten us.
Normally I would take your response as an attempt to enlighten us as to what allegations are not factual, yet several of those Allegations of Fact can be easily verified.

How does the fact that a statement is hearsay (it seems some of those, by definition, either cannot be hearsay or would fall under an exemption; any lawyers here?) make it false?

If you were not responding to the post you quoted, then could you please tell us whether the hearsay is correct?

Last edited by ralfp; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:55 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:08 pm

Jon, thank you & good luck.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by doober
Good for him and thanks for passing it on!
Good job!!! Let me know if you hear anything more news from TSA lately.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
thanks & good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.