Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:24 pm

Wishing you the best of luck.
One question, in your blog you state "Next step is a reply from me, and the judge may rule at any time.", but in your complaint filed with the court, you requested a jury.
Is the judge ruling on some aspect of the trial, or do you feel this will actually go to trial and you will demand that it be heard by a jury?

Just my gut feeling, but I think you are going to have an uphill battle with the DOJ. But I hope I am wrong and you get what you are seeking.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Juries only decide questions of fact, while the judge decides any questions of law. Everything that goes on before the trial starts deals with the law and logistics of proceeding. Once all of the preliminaries are taken care of, a jury will be formed to deal with any remaining questions of fact.

Interestingly, a restraining order is sort of an exception to that rule, as one of the things you must show to get a restraining order is a likelyhood of succeeding on the merits of the case, which potentially asks a judge to review questions of fact.

A pro se plaintiff against the entire DoJ is always going to be an uphill battle. I've got my running shoes on.

Originally Posted by Pluma
One question, in your blog you state "Next step is a reply from me, and the judge may rule at any time.", but in your complaint filed with the court, you requested a jury.
Is the judge ruling on some aspect of the trial, or do you feel this will actually go to trial and you will demand that it be heard by a jury?

--Jon
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Go Jon, go!

Many if not most of us are behind you and applaud your efforts! Thanks for taking the stand for those of us who can't or won't. You are a true American Hero!

JB
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:15 am
Suspended

Just an update for anyone following the thread that the gov't has replied to my suit --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ssurances.html

--Jon
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:41 am

The DoJ implicitly affirms that they understand that we all have a constitutional right to travel.
Isn't it a tactical error to admit that? Actually, having read some of the pdf file I can't find any indication of such an admission.

I did find this however:

There is no constitutional right to travel by a specific mode of transportation; Plaintiff has the option of traveling by car, bus, or train.
My god. I cannot imagine what the founders of our country would have made of a statement like this. It is a deep constitutional challenge. It cuts to the very core of our most basic freedoms. This claim really needs to be focused upon. It is the essence of the whole "don't like it don't fly" argument. You should respond that the TSA has not ruled out such searches for buses, trains, or even cars and, have already started random searches at bus and train stations.

I really wish you had a lawyer to at least advise you. Such an important case in the history of our country and so lop-sided.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:49 am

i checked and saw no highway going to Hawaii, or many of the US Territories. Didn't look for rail service, but I'd bet the farm there ain't no train either. Guess you'd just have to swim in order to exercise your right to travel there...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
So that means the only transportation method I have left of going home will be by ship if I don't want to be subjected to all the TSA's practices?

I may not be a citizen of this country, but the statement is really appalling..
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It's really sad. Everything they said is total fear mongering but the sad probability is that the judge will rule in their favor because they make it sound so good. What a crock of BS. I am hoping against hope for ya but I just don't see it happening. We are all in serious trouble. I fear our only chance is years from now with the Supreme Court.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:53 am
Suspended

The Supreme Court has long recognized a constitutional right to travel, so there's no use in them denying that. Of issue may be whether or not in 2010 the right to travel is denied by denying air transporation. Previous courts (long ago) have held that one's right to travel is not denied simply because the most convenient mode of transportation was denied. However, I expect that it will be apparent to today's courts that modern day travel cannot be conducted without air transportation. Long distance business trips, for example, quite simply would not be possible by train, and obviously overseas doesn't work.

Originally Posted by gojirasan
Isn't it a tactical error to admit that? Actually, having read some of the pdf file I can't find any indication of such an admission.
--Jon
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:40 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Win or lose, the replies from the DoJ are going to be discussion-worthy for quite a while, and I applaud the efforts to bring transparency to this discussion.

Ironic that our own justice department states that we have no expectation of privacy, in varying degrees, in varying situations. The sterile area just might as well be accepted as a no-privacy zone.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Initial thoughts on the introduction

This challenge should therefore be dismissed or transferred to the court of
appeals under 28 U.S.C. § 1406(a).
So we all need to file challenges with the appeals court?

There is no constitutional right to travel by a specific mode of transportation;
Plaintiff has the option of traveling by car, bus, or train.
One should argue that there is no common carrier option* to travel to Hawaii. Same to Alaska. Also that travel to Alaska by train/car/bus requires international travel and thus a passport. So it is not travel between the states. Also there is no scheduled common carrier service* to territories (Puerto Rico, US virgin islands, all the pacific island territories)

* Except airlines

Indeed, Congress has required the Secretary of DHS to “give a high priority to developing, testing, improving and deploying, at airport screening checkpoints, equipment that detects nonmetallic, chemical, biological, and radiological weapons, and explosives, in all forms, on individuals and in their personal property.” 49 U.S.C. § 44925(a).
This is a pet peeve of mine. AIT machines are NOT detecting "nonmetallic, chemical, biological, and radiological weapons, and explosives, in all forms, on individuals and in their personal property.” They are taking a picture and showing the picture to an agent of the government to notice abnormalities : This is a broad based strip search not a specific search for weapons, explosives, etc.

Only 68 airports around the country have the AIT machines, the majority of security lanes still have metal detectors, and only three percent of the traveling public ultimately receive a pat-down.
Hasn't Pissy been quoted as saying 1% opt out? So 2/3rds of the patdowns are from people who go through the NoS?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
It is critically important for you to have an attorney. Maybe the ACLU would be able to assist you in finding one who would take your case pro bono. Even if you are a lawyer, it helps for you to have another brain to pick, and it takes away some of the pro se "stigma". In any event, this case sets a precedent, and you need to do everything in your power to come out on top, including finding legal counsel, because if you lose, essentially everyone else loses, too.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eturowski
It is critically important for you to have an attorney. Maybe the ACLU would be able to assist you in finding one who would take your case pro bono. In any event, this case sets a precedent, and you need to do everything in your power to come out on top, including finding legal counsel, because if you lose, essentially everyone else loses, too.
Actually I was thinking the same thing too but wasn't sure if I was right so I didn't say anything. My thought would be that losing a case like this could begin setting precedents. Lawyers - your thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:14 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Affection
The Supreme Court has long recognized a constitutional right to travel

--Jon
Shapiro v Thompson (1969): “‘The constitutional right to travel from one State to another . . . has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized.’ … This constitutional right, which, of course, includes the right of ‘entering and abiding in any State in the Union,’ is not a mere conditional liberty subject to regulation and control under conventional due process or equal protection standards. ‘[T]he right to travel freely from State to State finds constitutional protection that is quite independent of the Fourteenth Amendment.’ As we made clear in Guest, it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, NAACP v. Alabama, 357 U.S. 449, it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all.”
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by eturowski
It is critically important for you to have an attorney. Maybe the ACLU would be able to assist you in finding one who would take your case pro bono. Even if you are a lawyer, it helps for you to have another brain to pick, and it takes away some of the pro se "stigma". In any event, this case sets a precedent, and you need to do everything in your power to come out on top, including finding legal counsel, because if you lose, essentially everyone else loses, too.
Particularly because the state actually views pro se in the same light as the argumentative guy at the checkpoint. "Oh he thinks he knows the legal system? We'll show him what for", and they'll pull out all the stops to trip you up. So unless you actually have experience navigating the federal court system as a litigant, please, get help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.