Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Criminal activity allegations and charges against TSA employees [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Criminal activity allegations and charges against TSA employees [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
I think it's time to figure out a way to rig a camera, so that when your luggage is opened it immediately starts filming and streams the images to a secure website... Time, location, sound, images, the whole works as well as a GPS locator in the device to locate where it is at all times.

You could even place a sticker on the bag, "be advised, this bag visually records all openings, legal or otherwise"
^
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
I think it's time to figure out a way to rig a camera, so that when your luggage is opened it immediately starts filming and streams the images to a secure website... Time, location, sound, images, the whole works as well as a GPS locator in the device to locate where it is at all times.

You could even place a sticker on the bag, "be advised, this bag visually records all openings, legal or otherwise"
Hmmm....luggage that kicks on an a/v recorder and streams offsite when opened. That's a product *I* would buy. I wonder if anyone else would.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Light or Motion Activated Cameras

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Hmmm....luggage that kicks on an a/v recorder and streams offsite when opened. That's a product *I* would buy. I wonder if anyone else would.
=================================================
Cameras like these are available from sporting/hunting catalogues/locations.
Cabelas comes to mind, also Outdoor Outfitters.
Though the question is: What stops someoneone from taking the camera if your luggage is opened? Unless it is mechanically attached to suitcase perhaps?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by bajajoes
=================================================
Though the question is: What stops someoneone from taking the camera if your luggage is opened? Unless it is mechanically attached to suitcase perhaps?
Nothing stops them from taking it... But when they do you will know who, when, where they took it... And if it contains a gps locator? You'll know where it is.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bajajoes
I've seen "game cameras" available at such locations, which use motion detectors to take images.

I've never seen a "game camera" that automatically uploads its images or video to the network, though.

It wouldn't be hard to do with a Canon running the CHDK firmware with an Eye-Fi card in it. An external battery pack and a GPS unit and you'd be good to go.

IF such a package were detected in checked baggage, I'd be disappointed if the TSA didn't open it up to look. It'd look an awful lot like an IED on the X-ray.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:48 pm

I was thinking of something integrated into the luggage, something that hasn't been done yet. That's why I wondered whether it was marketable.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'm posting this here as the consolidated DHS/TSA criminal activity thread.

Ex-Federal Officer Smuggled Cash, Guns At Atlanta Airport

June 2, 2011
ATLANTA -- A former federal officer is headed to federal prison for eight years after admitting he misused his badge to smuggle cash and guns.

Devon Samuels worked as a Customs and Border Protection officer at Atlanta’s Hartsfield Jackson International Airport until his arrest in December.
<>

In one instance, Samuels carried five guns and $20,000 in cash through the airport. He scanned his badge at a secure door to avoid airport screening and then handed off the carry-on bag.

“He gave the guns and the money to an undercover agent who was posing as a drug trafficker, who was supposed to be headed to Arizona to use those guns in a meeting with a Mexican drug cartel,” explained Davis.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Do we need another thread for convictions?

Ex-TSA supervisor Michael Arato convicted, sentenced to 30 months for thefts.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Oops! He could sentenced for 2.5 years in prison. He can't accept work at federal government for the life. He would be punishable for what he did to those passengers' traveler money. This must stop accusing to steal money and etc. He will never, ever work for TSA again.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
TSA is made up of pretty much high school/college drop outs... $8/hour jobs, all they do is mess around at the screening areas.

TSA is a joke
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
http://news.yahoo.com/video/phoenixk...-26539714.html
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
By my count, this is the 23rd TSO arrested or convicted since December 2010. My guess is that there will be between 35 and 40 by the end of the year.

Great employees screening program they have. What are those "high standards" again? Looks like they're getting screeners fresh out of general population as part of some criminal rehabilitation program.
Here's three more for the "bad apple" pie.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44502230.../#.Tm-yxdSuSuI
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi111
^
You mean something like this? http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1...ra.aspx#tabtop
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:48 pm

Does anyone mind if I add thefts by CATSA screeners to the thread? I don't know if it deserves a thread of its own.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
CBS12.com: Neighbors shocked TSA officer arrested for moving drugs (PBI)

Here's the link to an article posted on CBS12.com, about the arrest of 45-year-old Chirstopher Allen, a Transportation Security Administration Officer at PBIA:

CBS12.com: Neighbors shocked TSA officer arrested for moving drugs (September 14, 2011 7:24 PM)

A short quote from the article:
CBS 12 spoke with one of Christopher Allen's neighbors, he did not want to go on camera, but he tells us that he and others in the neighborhood are stunned by Allen's arrest.

"He was proud of his badge, proud of what he was doing. He was a pillar of the development here. If anyone's in trouble they go to Chris," said the neighbor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.