Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Fair enough Boggie. Do you also see racism, sexism, religious discrimination, or any other form of discrimination under every rock and bush?

I am annoyed and mad over just about every asinine thing that TSA does but I don't see it rising to the level of the trampling of civil rights.
A strip search, even electronic, or a pat down when one is not being arrested is a clear violation of civil rights.

Having to show ID to the Federal Government just to travel is a civil rights violation.

The government collecting your travel information each and every time you travel is a civil rights violation.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Pure racism, ... I think is more an example of racism than deliberate trampling of civil rights.
ummm, racism is a deliberate trampling of civil rights...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
ummm, racism is a deliberate trampling of civil rights...
Agreed, however, the example of Tulia TX is apples and oranges compared to the perceived "trampling of civil rights" at a Border Patrol checkpoint.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
That station has been in place since 1983 when I started working in ELP. There also is one north of Las Cruces on I-25 with the same setup. Always with a few questions and on one or two instances a ream of them. No rhyme or reason other than to aggravate the drivers.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
A Border Patrol checkpoint is a violation of your privacy worth getting this worked up over as some other posters are, seriously?
Very, very seriously.

Pure racism, absolutely disgusting. I find it ridiculous that any prosecutor would take a case to court based solely on the testimony of the officer with such scant evidence. I find it ridiculous that any jury of 12 people would convict on such scant evidence. I think is more an example of racism than deliberate trampling of civil rights.
No only are the convictions troubling, this piece of scum got a "law enforcement officer of the year award" from his fellow law enforcement slime. They try to present such incidents as "one bad apple" occurrences, but in fact they their standard MO.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Every time I hit one of these checkpoints my accent gets me in trouble. If someone else is driving, I keep very quiet.

My accent doesn't match my address. Don't they know that people move?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:22 am
Suspended

This in today's New York Times:

border patrol
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
What would happen in this scenario?

CBP: "How are you today, sir?"

N965VJ: "I'm one fine US citizen!"

CBP: "Where are you heading?"

N965VJ: "I'd rather not say because I value my privacy"

CBP: "Do you have ID?"

N965VJ: "Yes."

CBP: "Can I see it?"

N965VJ: "No, because I value my privacy."

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Meanwhile, the dog doesn't alert to any drugs, aliens, or some other Threat To Security after wandering around my vehicle.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by red456
This in today's New York Times:

border patrol
Every time they say 'homeland', I want to vomit.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And as troubling as that may be, what percentage of those people were career criminals to begin with? I'll submit that most of those instances involve career criminals who had been through the system several times before. I'm not losing much sleep over them.
Tulia is in Texas. Right below you say what happened was disgusting but right above you say that you don't leave sleep over in the "several people imprisoned for years have been released after learning that evidence had been withheld or false testimony was given by Law Enforcement" in Texas. Which is it?

Pure racism, absolutely disgusting. I find it ridiculous that any prosecutor would take a case to court based solely on the testimony of the officer with such scant evidence. I find it ridiculous that any jury of 12 people would convict on such scant evidence. I think is more an example of racism than deliberate trampling of civil rights.
Had you been on the jury, based on your posts here, it is almost clear to me that you would have convicted as well.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What would happen in this scenario?

CBP: "How are you today, sir?"

N965VJ: "I'm one fine US citizen!"

CBP: "Where are you heading?"

N965VJ: "I'd rather not say because I value my privacy"

CBP: "Do you have ID?"

N965VJ: "Yes."

CBP: "Can I see it?"

N965VJ: "No, because I value my privacy."

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Meanwhile, the dog doesn't alert to any drugs, aliens, or some other Threat To Security after wandering around my vehicle.
I am not sure if this was directed at me but I missed it either way. Taking for granted the officer doesn't see anything associated with the vehicle. You are cool as a cucumber (not nervous etc) you are free to go. The officer may still ask the question concerning your citizenship even if you offered it in the greeting without being asked.

FB
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Taking for granted the officer doesn't see anything associated with the vehicle. You are cool as a cucumber (not nervous etc) you are free to go.
Thanks! That's what I figured, but I just wanted a little clarification for anyone else that may come across this.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Ari
Had you been on the jury, based on your posts here, it is almost clear to me that you would have convicted as well.
Oh I would have absolutely voted not guilty. No way would I accept the only evidence of a drug sale as being the handwritten scrawl on the officer's leg. Investigations are just not run that way.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I would have absolutely voted not guilty. No way would I accept the only evidence of a drug sale as being the handwritten scrawl on the officer's leg. Investigations are just not run that way.
I'd hope so-- perhaps I was unfair; you are more educated than the jurors there were.

Even after being told all of the things that that Coleman character did, the jurors interviewed still believed that the people they convicted were guilty.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 30, 2010 at 6:55 pm
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4
Taking for granted the officer doesn't see anything associated with the vehicle. You are cool as a cucumber (not nervous etc) you are free to go.

FB
What do you mean about "doesn't see anything associated with the vehicle"? Something in plain view?

And I've heard before that being "cool as a cucumber" can be considered suspicious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.