Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by doober
Wow, I certainly am powerful, aren't I? Actually, I think it was VH-RMD who made this person look completely foolish and for that I thank him/her.
him....

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Yes, foolish to have a different point if view that those on this site.
no, I just pointed out the extremely parochial view held, strangely it was not responded to...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cityboi
Then why are you still living here?? Move over there and start helping them! You people are so diluted with the government solving world problems when we need to be protecting our OWN children here in the US.
I believe the word you want is "deluded" ... as in "sheeple like me who have swallowed the nonsense peddled by TSA have been deluded into thinking that we are really safe as a result of the security theater circus."

Your point is almost funny, albeit shot full of ignorance ... how are your OWN children protected by this absurd pantomime that still allows explosives to be secreted in rectal cavities and carried onto planes by any terrorist who is truly committed and has more than a room temp IQ?

As they used to say in the 60s (paraphrased), if you want to live in a repressive fascist state, why don't you move to Russia/China ... (fill in the blank)?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Is it possible to get a word copy of the flyer? I'd like to edit it a little to make it geared toward airline employees as lately these machines and the new pat downs have been a very popular topic in the break rooms with many not liking either. The ones that are indifferent don't seem to understand what the machines really do.
Adobe Acrobat might be helpful for editing the flyer as it was not created in Word.

An editable version, equivalent to the previous version is available in LaTeX format at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post14690229 . LaTeX is a free typesetting program.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Meanwhile; back on the original topic

Just opted out of the NOS at LAX T5 (DL). It was ~19:00 local time, so checkpoint traffic was very light, and all perps were being funnelled through the single operating NOS. The hissing clerk told me to walk through it anyway to get to the post NOS pat-down penalty box, "it (the NOS) isn't on."
I told her I had no way to validate that, and that an opt out where you're still made to walk through this pathetic display of authoritarian malice isn't really much of an opt-out.
Took a 2 stripe to figure out that I needed to walk around, not through, the WTMD and around, not through the NOS.
Not that I've ever been so blessed. but the patdown was about what I'd expect to enter a maximum security wing at the state prison (At least I'd expect that type of pat-down there to ensure everyone's safety). I guess that equates, in some-one's logic, to attempting to travel by commercial aircraft in 2010.
The annoyance trade-off distance radius, inside of which, flying is less attractive than air travel to us perps, continues to widen. Wonder when the airline executives will start to realize that this latest TSA offensive (pun intended) must be business damaging.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Just opted out of the NOS at LAX T5 (DL).
The annoyance trade-off distance radius, inside of which, flying is less attractive than air travel to us perps, continues to widen.
That radius may not be too bad if you're flying out of LA often—consider BUR, SNA, or LGB, which we believe are NoS-free.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Cityboi
You people seriously need to get a grip on what you are expecting from this country.

I find it very hard to believe so many of you have forgotten the horrors of Sept 11. For me, do everything and anything that is necessary to prevent that from ever happening again.

But yet, here you are complaining of a security scan that doesn't even have enough detail to warrant anyone's concern. Get a grip people, don't let Sept 11 happen again.
Cityboi, I haven't forgotten anything about 11 September but you've obviously forgotten, if you ever really understood in the first place, what freedom and liberty are all about. You sound like you are so concerned about your safety and security that you are willing to give up my freedom and constitutional rights along with your own in the quest to feel more secure. What was it Ben Franklin said, let me see.....Ah yes, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I wear a uniform every day and am in a dry, sandy place right now, away from my family. I've been in almost 20 years and I didn't join the military and come all the way over here to turn around and be treated like a criminal when I fly in my own country. Too many US military personnel have died over the past 235 years establishing and defending the freedom and rights you can freely enjoy to just throw them away like you are proposing. I know people who have died in service to our nation and you dare to throw that freedom away like so much garbage? How dare you!

You need to wake up, pull your head out of your fourth point of contact and see what's going on. Stop feeling, and think! Look what's happening all around you. This is NOT what America is all about. These virtual strip search machines and gropes are an outrage and if people like you go along with it, things will continue to get worse.

Oh and by the way, what I expect from my country is freedom. Nothing more, nothing less. What's going on with the TSA, the strip search machines and the gropes does not belong in a nation established because of the desire for personal freedom. I don't expect the government to take care of all of my needs. I take care of myself and my family, with God's help of course. I am responsible for me and mine, not the government.

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Eagle90 - Welcome to FT! Semper Fi and Godspeed for a safe journey home when your tour is done!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Welcome to Flyertalk, Eagle90 ^. Great (n.b. great) first post ^ and as the son and brother of a veteran, I say thank you and salute you on behalf of my father, sister and all those that have gone before you, are with you now and will be there after you.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Eagle90
Cityboi, I haven't forgotten anything about 11 September but you've obviously forgotten, if you ever really understood in the first place, what freedom and liberty are all about. You sound like you are so concerned about your safety and security that you are willing to give up my freedom and constitutional rights along with your own in the quest to feel more secure. What was it Ben Franklin said, let me see.....Ah yes, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I wear a uniform every day and am in a dry, sandy place right now, away from my family. I've been in almost 20 years and I didn't join the military and come all the way over here to turn around and be treated like a criminal when I fly in my own country. Too many US military personnel have died over the past 235 years establishing and defending the freedom and rights you can freely enjoy to just throw them away like you are proposing. I know people who have died in service to our nation and you dare to throw that freedom away like so much garbage? How dare you!

You need to wake up, pull your head out of your fourth point of contact and see what's going on. Stop feeling, and think! Look what's happening all around you. This is NOT what America is all about. These virtual strip search machines and gropes are an outrage and if people like you go along with it, things will continue to get worse.

Oh and by the way, what I expect from my country is freedom. Nothing more, nothing less. What's going on with the TSA, the strip search machines and the gropes does not belong in a nation established because of the desire for personal freedom. I don't expect the government to take care of all of my needs. I take care of myself and my family, with God's help of course. I am responsible for me and mine, not the government.

Welcome to FT and Amen.^^^
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:15 am

Post of the year Eagle90...Welcome to Flyertalk and most importantly, thank you for your service. Stay safe and always remember there are still a lot of us who will never give up the freedom this country was founded upon willingly.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Eagle 90, welcome to Flyertalk and thank you. Thank you for your service to our country. And thank you for taking the time to share the perspective of you and so many others have fought to establish and defend our freedom what those who tell us to meekly submit are in danger of throwing away. We hope you are able to return to this forum often and help with the "reality check" necessary to dial back these egregious violations of our Fourth amendment rights.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:58 am

Thanks for the comments. I just get a bit annoyed (putting it mildly!) when I see stuff like that guy wrote. It infuriates me to see what my country is becoming.

I discovered the forum and have been reading over the past several days specifically because of the strip search machines and the groping now going on at the airports. I'm taking my family on a trip when I get home and I guess now we're going to have to deal with this. My folks are going with us as well and they have to be back home in time to depart for another trip. Otherwise, we would have canceled our tickets and would drive even though it would be a 16 hour drive.

I will not put my wife and kids (9, 6 and 4) through the machine and it's going to be all I can do to restrain myself during the groping session I imagine is coming. I can only hope we get the metal detectors instead.

Anyone know if STL has the nude o' scopes in the east terminal where Southwest fly's from? If so, is there a way to avoid the infernal machines?

Awaiting a reply from Cityboi, but I don't imagine he's got the guts to reply.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
According to the list, Lambert-St. Louis International Airport has NoS machines at terminal 1A; Southwest uses 2E. Should be safe (although please report back if you spot any of the machines so we can update).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by stifle
According to the list, Lambert-St. Louis International Airport has NoS machines at terminal 1A; Southwest uses 2E. Should be safe (although please report back if you spot any of the machines so we can update).
There is a backscatter machine for the middle two lanes of STL Terminal 2. I posted this in the stickied thread but apparently it hasn't been updated.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:07 am
Suspended

Thanks for the comments. I just get a bit annoyed (putting it mildly!) when I see stuff like that guy wrote. It infuriates me to see what my country is becoming.

I discovered the forum and have been reading over the past several days specifically because of the strip search machines and the groping now going on at the airports. I'm taking my family on a trip when I get home and I guess now we're going to have to deal with this. My folks are going with us as well and they have to be back home in time to depart for another trip. Otherwise, we would have canceled our tickets and would drive even though it would be a 16 hour drive.

I will not put my wife and kids (9, 6 and 4) through the machine and it's going to be all I can do to restrain myself during the groping session I imagine is coming. I can only hope we get the metal detectors instead.

Anyone know if STL has the nude o' scopes in the east terminal where Southwest fly's from? If so, is there a way to avoid the infernal machines?

Awaiting a reply from Cityboi, but I don't imagine he's got the guts to reply.
Welcome, Eagle90. Let me add my thanks to you for your service as well as for a well-written first post. Hopefully, both Citiboi and SATTSO will read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.