Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:35 am

[QUOTE=Schmurrr;23826225]I really don't understand why TSA is doubling down on the NOSs when they still haven't responded to the NPRM about NOSs--unless TSA intends to ignore the 5,000+ comments submitted on the NPRM.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! TSA ignores all rules, regulations and laws that don't suit them. Why should this one be any different?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jackonferry
That's the first time I've gotten the WBI instead of the hand swab (at least at first). Thankfully, most airports with Pre-Check are not set up this way.
Sadly this is being expanded to more and more checkpoints so you wont stay away from it very long.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by mikew99
Happened to me for the first time last week at HNL. After the Pre-Check WTMD, I was told that I was "randomly" selected and was directed to enter the nude-o-scope. Had to opt-out and get a full-body pat-down. Leave it to the TSA to ruin a Good Thing.
I went through HNL last night. As you face the checkpoint, Pre-check was on the left, main entrance in the middle and priority line for first class to the right. I entered in the middle. It fed into the priority line. However, we had the WTMD and the Pre-check line funneled to the NOS. Maybe I was just tired but it seems that was my experience. I did have to take my shoes/belt off.

At DEN the week prior, I got to the NOS, I told the screener my shoulder issue. I went through the WTMD and was told to wait for a hand swab. Not too bad of a wait at 5am on a weekday.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:56 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
MKE TSOs not happy today

Flew from MKE on second part of three-part trip. First part I got PreCheck. Today I didn't. Don't know why TSA thinks I was less of a danger on Friday, and today am a likely terrorist, but that's the way the agency doesn't work.

Anyway, I opt out at MKE. TSO guarding WTMD tries to tell me about no X-rays, patdown will touch my private parts, etc. I told him I didn't care, I was not going into their machine. He got testy with me because I didn't want to hear his "spiel."

TSO comes to get me within one minute. He tells me not touch anything; I replied, "yeah, I know, I'm a dangerous person today according to the TSA." He didn't like that comment, but a fellow pax snickered near us. He gathered my things (missed one item that I'd told him was mine, and tried to take someone else's as mine).

Walked over to "examination" table. Asks me if I have things in my pockets. I show him that I'm holding my ID and BP; he says they have to go into a bin. By this point, a 2-striper is already watching us. I refuse; she (2-striper) says I have to do it. Again, I refuse, saying I will not relinquish them. She says the TSO has to see my hands; I show them to her and him. She says to show the TSO the ID and BP; I did, while telling them that this had already been done at the front checkin.

Then asked if I have sensitive/painful areas; I say "genitals." 2-striper then gets on radio -- I figure this is going to get interesting. She calls another 2-striper (male) over and tells him to watch and then she walks away.

Patdown was mild compared to bad ones I have had. Test comes back negative (good thing the machines don't always fail). I then shake my head and mutter, "what a joke." The new male 2-striper leans toward me and asks if I'm alright. I replied, "no". He says, is there anything they can do. I paused for a second, looked at him, and said, "What I want you to do, you can't do." He freezes for a few seconds, then walks away.

Another day in the life of stupidity and unconstitutionality.

Two interesting sidenotes. One female pax opted out just before me. And two passengers asked the TSO who did my patdown what had happened; apparently, they've never seen such a thing before. He told them that I'd opted out; I heard one of them say, "oh, I didn't know you could do that."
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:16 am

Haven't had a chance to post this one from a couple of weeks ago. Flew out of MSP at 5 am on 11/19. There was no Pre Check at the checkpoint but some people were getting directed to the WTMD. I got selected for the MMW so I opted out. A screener immediately led me away for the patdown and it was quick and not very invasive compared to others I've received. The screener standing in front of the WTMD and MMW was another story. He was loud and was berating passengers.

On 11/25 I came back into the country at DFW. After leaving customs I ended up at terminal D. They had two x-ray belts feeding into a MMW and WTMD. I tried to slip into the WTMD but the screener standing behind the WTMD rudely told me to go to the MMW, which had about 10 people in line for it. My stuff had already gone into the x-ray machine so I wasn't happy about it. I told him I couldn't go through the scanner due to my insulin pump. He objected and told me it was safe and told me I would get a full body patdown if I didn't go through the scanner. I smiled and told him "That's ok. I get the patdown all the time." That seemed to irritate him.

The patdown screener arrived quickly and whisked me off to the back of the checkpoint. He was courteous and other than checking my waistband, it was another minimally invasive patdown. It was mostly non-eventful except for the music. Just past the checkpoint, there was a Bose kiosk. During the patdown, the song Temperature by Sean Paul is playing. The screener said "That is a strange song to be playing during a patdown." We all had a good laugh and I was on my way. If you ever opt out there, you might get musical accompaniment for your patdown.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:04 pm

Unfortunately getting the hand swab comes with its own hazards. I was hand swabbed and got a false positive (I had lotion on my hands). Because I refused further screening (what amounted to a strip search in a back room with a bunch of strangers), I was not allowed to fly, and my pre-check was revoked. I would strongly suggest washing your hands thoroughly with very hot water prior to going through security.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Lotion may or may not be the cause. Sometimes the machines just don't work. I went through RIC one day and three quarters of the pax they swabbed came back with an alarm. Even the TSOs were frustrated by it, and I got into a battle with the FSD over the RPD procedures not being followed. He was already being an irritated jerk because one of the passengers in front of me had some sort of exchange with the TSO screening her that caused the TSO to break down in tears. Since that day in 2012 I won't fly out of RIC anymore.

Also, whenever a TSO wants to swab you or your belongings, insist they change their gloves first. Make sure they get fresh ones from the box and not from their pocket. You don't want everything else they've touched that day going on a swab they'll hold you accountable for. They're likely to grumble something about how they just changed them, or some other reason why they don't want to accommodate your request, but don't relent.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Unfortunately getting the hand swab comes with its own hazards. I was hand swabbed and got a false positive (I had lotion on my hands). Because I refused further screening (what amounted to a strip search in a back room with a bunch of strangers), I was not allowed to fly, and my pre-check was revoked. I would strongly suggest washing your hands thoroughly with very hot water prior to going through security.
can you expand on the "further screening" they would have required you to fly that day?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
can you expand on the "further screening" they would have required you to fly that day?
Perhaps you missed:

"...a strip search in a back room with a bunch of strangers"

Esentially, the forced private enhanced patdown. Tragic to hear it causes Pre√ to be revoked. What piques my curiosity is, how did they know who the OP was? I'd never willingly give up my personal info once it gets that far. Walk away. Walk away.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Revoked that day or permanently? Are you a GE member? PreCheck member?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
Perhaps you missed:

Esentially, the forced private enhanced patdown. Tragic to hear it causes Pre√ to be revoked. What piques my curiosity is, how did they know who the OP was? I'd never willingly give up my personal info once it gets that far. Walk away. Walk away.
Among other things, a clerk runs the front of his/her hands over your crotch three times. This is why the demand you go to the private room out of sight of the public. They don't want the American people to see what they are doing to us.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
There was a thread about the incident, back in August. It's full of spite, from multiple posters. Not worth reading.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
Perhaps you missed:

Yes, and I had a skirt on. There would have been very little between the TSO's hand and my private parts. It would have been very ugly. It was a police officer who asked for my ID. I didn't think I had the option to refuse.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
From what I understand, the revocation lasts a year. I haven't gotten pre-check since that day. I am a GE member. I have not tried to use my GE since the incident, so I don't know whether that has been affected. Once a year is up, if my pre-check has not been re-established, I will take some action. I have retained an attorney for whatever needs pop up in relation to this incident.

Originally Posted by BSBD
There was a thread about the incident, back in August. It's full of spite, from multiple posters. Not worth reading.
Agreed. The thing I hate most about this website.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Yes, and I had a skirt on. There would have been very little between the TSO's hand and my private parts. It would have been very ugly. It was a police officer who asked for my ID. I didn't think I had the option to refuse.
Depends on the circumstances.

In a stop-and-identify state, you're required to provide ID to a cop if he has reasonable suspicion that you may have committed a crime. Cops can easily push this, though; the standard of what constitutes "reasonable" suspicion is ludicrously low. In a non-stop-and-identify state, you may or may not get away with refusing to provide ID to a cop.

However, if an officer subsequently shared your ID information with third parties like TSA, without your permission, he exceeded his authority and may be guilty violating the US Privacy Act of 1974.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Depends on the circumstances.

In a stop-and-identify state, you're required to provide ID to a cop if he has reasonable suspicion that you may have committed a crime. Cops can easily push this, though; the standard of what constitutes "reasonable" suspicion is ludicrously low. In a non-stop-and-identify state, you may or may not get away with refusing to provide ID to a cop.

However, if an officer subsequently shared your ID information with third parties like TSA, without your permission, he exceeded his authority and may be guilty violating the US Privacy Act of 1974.
Of course, in practice, the cop is going to get your ID just about every time, legally or illegally. Your only recourse will be to fight it in court, but by then, the damage is done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.