Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
ORD T2, TSASS got a very thorough grope from a trainee in a white shirt. CLT TSASS got WTMD x2 (delay, smoke break).
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
Slightly OT, but IIRC, pilots were given a pass on the NoS because the radiation from the BSX + the radiation from flight exposure might cause health issues. But AFAIK, pilots still get a pass on the MMW, which supposedly poses no risk. I wonder why?
Damn good union reps? Damn good lawyers?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
JFK Terminal 2 (Delta), Sky Priority line, 2 pm today. Refused to play name game, was allowed past the TDC, anyway. Passengers being directed 100% to NOS machine. I attempted to follow a small group of crew members through WTMD. Was stopped by older TSO who directed me to NOS. I told him about my shoulder injury, and he said, "Come on through" (the WTMD). I did and was on my way. No muss, no fuss.

Bruce
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Define "Fail PreCheck"? Does this mean that you're selected for a random full screening?
Originally Posted by bdschobel
No, they just send you to the regular line. Hasn't happened to me yet.
Drat, I can't say this any more! Today, I failed Pre-check for the first time since I enrolled in Global Entry about a year ago! I mentioned it to the Delta SkyClub attendant, and she said that Pre-check doesn't work on international itineraries. I am flying internationally tonight, so maybe that's the problem. I really couldn't believe that I missed, but the crowds were small at FLL today, and I was able to SDOO to a WTMD. No big deal. But I'm not batting 1.000 any more; now it's more like .970.

Bruce
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Noticed on the news reports that SEA still is using Rapiscans.

People: Please post notice when the "blue walls of cancerous death" are removed from any airports you frequent.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I was treated with the upmost disrespect by the TSA in DTW today. The lady (if you can call her that) who was "helping" everyone get all their stuff ready for the belt was obviously in a terrible mood, yelling and all around just unpleasant. I opted out, just like I always do. My parents did not, just like they always do. We have a system. It has worked the number of times we have flown in the past year.

Here is what happened today:

The lady out front gave me a hard time, trying to convince me to go through the MMW. I of course did not, as is my right. I did not say anything other than my age however. The head honcho came over, asking why I didn't go through the metal detector (children under 12 go through with family); the lady with anger problems explained I was 15. He asked where my parents were, I told him on the other side. He proceeded to take my passport and runs off, saying something about needing my parents. I tried to yell after him that TSA rules don't need that and I wanted my pat down, but he just ran off.

The lady with anger problems asked why I opted out. I started to tell her that I don't like waves passing through my body. She said this isn't the Backscatter. (I will admit it is not as bad as the Backscatter) I confirmed that I knew that, that it is the MMW, but that I am still concerned for my health. She said, "You know you're flying, right?" I started to tell her that I knew, but that I like to prevent any waves or radiation that I can. Before I finished, she cut me off with a "whatever". I then stood up straight and in a stern voice told her "It is my right to opt out, and I am doing so." She snapped around and says "I was just asking a question." And I responded with "And I was answering." I never wavered in my speech. She turned around and never looked at me again (thank god).

I could see the head honcho speaking with my parents, my dad obviously upset at him. I later learned that the head honcho said I was being "agitated", my father answering that "we had been through this process a number of times, that it is routine, I'm not sure why there's any question about it." My father was also thinking that if I was being difficult, I had a good reason.

I was finally called over, my parents and I joking around, the head hancho saying "You must not have any contact with him". That ended that, I was patted down. The pat down was quick, and the head honcho tried to make things friendly again, but we were beyond help. I am going to get a customer service card and the lady's name soon, and fill it out or talk to a supervisor.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm Reason: derogatory reference
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I was treated with the upmost disrespect by the TSA in DTW today.
Here is what happened today:
explained I was 15.
I am going to get a customer service card and the lady's name soon, and fill it out or talk to a supervisor.
15. Impressive. Good job.^^

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:19 pm Reason: derogatory reference in quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I spoke with a supervisor and filled out a card, the supervisor promised something will be done.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
My thoughts, too. ^

I spoke with a supervisor and filled out a card, the supervisor promised something will be done.
Good!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=dinoscool3;20480311]I spoke with a supervisor and filled out a card, the supervisor promised something will be done.

QUOTE]

They will all high five each other for a job well done! While you walk away thinking you may have accomplished something! Hey the supervisor did NOT lie, they did "something"!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
Slightly OT, but IIRC, pilots were given a pass on the NoS because the radiation from the BSX + the radiation from flight exposure might cause health issues. But AFAIK, pilots still get a pass on the MMW, which supposedly poses no risk. I wonder why?
Not just pilots, but flight attendants now too.

It's official: Known Crewmember or KCM. http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...-begin-testing

Flight crew in uniform with a valid airline issued ID card and a government issued ID now avoid all security screening and are admitted airside through a door bypassing all security.

For further info see http://www.knowncrewmember.org/
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Not just pilots, but flight attendants now too.

It's official: Known Crewmember or KCM. http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...-begin-testing

Flight crew in uniform with a valid airline issued ID card and a government issued ID now avoid all security screening and are admitted airside through a door bypassing all security.

For further info see http://www.knowncrewmember.org/
What a joke. If I were a terrorist I'd know whose family to threaten.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fredd
What a joke. If I were a terrorist I'd know whose family to threaten.
Or just get a job as a flight attendant with an express carrier . . .

I'm sure the background check they do on all flight attendants will weed out all domestic terrorists.

"Trust us. We're the government!"
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I was treated with the upmost disrespect by the TSA in DTW today. The lady (if you can call her that) who was "helping" everyone get all their stuff ready for the belt was obviously in a terrible mood, yelling and all around just unpleasant. I opted out, just like I always do. My parents did not, just like they always do. We have a system. It has worked the number of times we have flown in the past year...
That's really cool. I hope you keep exercising your rights and keeping your cool.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reason: derogatory reference in quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
dinoscool3 - OMG, I'm speechless. Well done and also kudos to your parents for supporting you!

RE: the KCM. Again, I'm speechless, but for vastly different reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.