Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:08 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Pre-groping testing of gloves and "swiping" pad

Opted out as usual in FNT today. Per my requests, the groper changed gloves, tested the gloves in ETD machine, set the pad aside so that we could reuse it after the groping (because we now knew it was not giving a false positive), did the groping, used the same pad, and tested his gloves again.

Negative results all around (as if they were really going to find a terrorist, ha!).

But, I was gratified to note that I did not get any pushback to my attempt to try to introduce a little scientific method into the groping/testing process today. Have others tried this process at other airports?

Oh, and I was witness to the confiscat---- wait, it was "voluntarily" given --- by the TSA of a six-inch crescent wrench. Apparently, they're not allowed on planes. It'll probably be one of the "artfully concealed" objects in TSA's next report.

What in the world would be so dangerous about a crescent wrench? Sheesh...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
Why, you could pass it to an accomplice gremlin on the wing and disassemble the jet in flight!

Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by KDS
It's prob the one tool I can't do without in my job. I've attempted to fly with one waaaayyy back in the day, but was told I could 'take apart the plane' with one, so it was voluntarily surrendered.

Now I either ship my work box or have a PA go to the dollar store and buy $10 worth.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I have had more than 5 different 3 stripers, and now MANAGEMENT in suits tell me that there is no difference between an opt-out and medically unable to go through the AIT. Without any actual rules to point to, there is no way to claim any different.
Which airports? Whenever I've been medically unable to enter the AIT, I've never encountered any resistance. (Ha! See what I did there?)
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KDS
Opted out as usual in FNT today. Per my requests, the groper changed gloves, tested the gloves in ETD machine, set the pad aside so that we could reuse it after the groping (because we now knew it was not giving a false positive), did the groping, used the same pad, and tested his gloves again.

Negative results all around (as if they were really going to find a terrorist, ha!).

But, I was gratified to note that I did not get any pushback to my attempt to try to introduce a little scientific method into the groping/testing process today. Have others tried this process at other airports?

Oh, and I was witness to the confiscat---- wait, it was "voluntarily" given --- by the TSA of a six-inch crescent wrench. Apparently, they're not allowed on planes. It'll probably be one of the "artfully concealed" objects in TSA's next report.

Not true. Tools under 7" without blades are permitted.

See here. Scroll down to tools.

Here is a photo of the contents of my carry on. Notice the adjustable wrench and locking pliers. I have sockets and screwdrivers. I get checked nearly every time through and they get a look but are cleared.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Nov 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Here is a photo of the contents of my carry on. Notice the adjustable wrench and locking pliers. I have sockets and screwdrivers. I get checked nearly every time through and they get a look but are cleared.
Ha! A least I'll know who to look for next time the AVOD craps out.

Far more pointy things in my work box I can't do without, so I'll continue to ship it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Just went through DTW.
No line to TDC premium line. Got carry ons together on the belt and told the TSO wondering around between the xray belts that I was opting out just before I pushed my things into the xray. Called for an assist on the radio, which was repeated a moment later by the other TSO blocking the WTMD. The first TSO then asked if I knew what the opt out was, etc. Said yes, no additional speech.
Stood beside the WTMD for a minute while they worked out who was going to do it, then let through the gate between WTMD and MMW.

TSO picked up my things from the belt and moved them beside the ETD. Was asked about "sensitive areas", no speech about the pat down itself or any mention of "resistance". I asked for gloves to be changed, which was done without issue.
No lifting of shirt or aiming for my waist band. Pat down stopped an inch or so below 'personal' areas.
Gloves were swapped, and free to go.

LAX:
Got to the checkpoint (First/Precheck AA lane) shortly after opening in the morning. Opted out as soon as I was able to. Waited about 30 seconds for the assist.
After pointing out my things on the belt, the TSO made a comment about having 4 items (backpack, laptop bag, laptop, shoes) my stuff was collected and moved over to the ETD. Another TSO picked up my laptop and put it back in the bag (while I was watching).

The pat down was much like the one in DTW, only this time they did go for the waist band.

Last edited by Himeno; Nov 5, 2012 at 6:39 am
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
As of late I've encountered many unapproving looks when I explain the problem with my left arm. ATL F yesterday the screener seemed to openly doubt me... Seems this must be a common medical issue.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:13 pm

Love it! Please, please, please, one day, preferably Thanksgiving Week, use a different tray for each individual piece!

Last edited by Ysitincoach; Nov 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Love it! Please, please, please, one day, preferably Thanksgiving Week, use a different tray for each individual piece!
That is not funny.

I have been told by the TSA on more than one occasion that I could clear a lot quicker if I would take everything out and separate it in the bins.

So far, I have not, but who knows when it may become mandatory.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:59 am

You are presuming that every TSA personnel knows and/or follows the rules/procedures of the TSA.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak
I have had more than 5 different 3 stripers, and now MANAGEMENT in suits tell me that there is no difference between an opt-out and medically unable to go through the AIT. Without any actual rules to point to, there is no way to claim any different.
And TSA wonders why people think TSA is a Agency of incompetence.

What Airport(s)?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by FatherAbraham
You are presuming that every TSA personnel knows and/or follows the rules/procedures of the TSA.
Actually, no, I do not. I presume with good accuracy that they do not know the rules or pretend to not know the rules. But, I know the rules, at least the published ones. I have found that when I start to quote their own rules in their own bureaucratic language, they take on a look of recognition that they are no longer dealing with someone that can be buffaloed into submission and compliance.

When dealing with officious martinets, it is to ones advantage to enter the fight better armed and with weapons that are of greater effectiveness than the weapons they will bring to the skirmish. Knowledge and intelligence is a good start as they do not often have these tools in abundance.

And please, before one reads this and accuses me of suggesting violence, it is metaphorical. That I would even have to say that sort of proves my point.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:36 am

That is not funny.

I have been told by the TSA on more than one occasion that I could clear a lot quicker if I would take everything out and separate it in the bins.

So far, I have not, but who knows when it may become mandatory.
Here's the thing...if you did as some of them suggest, and put every piece into a different bin, you'd have another screening clerk suggest you could put it all together in one bin. So, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's why, with my camera equipment, I remove none of it. They're all permitted items, and I'm about 80/20 with getting through unscathed. It all packs the same exact way. Some days they tell me I have to remove it all, other days I hear nothing and I'm on my way.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Here's the thing...if you did as some of them suggest, and put every piece into a different bin, you'd have another screening clerk suggest you could put it all together in one bin. So, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's why, with my camera equipment, I remove none of it. They're all permitted items, and I'm about 80/20 with getting through unscathed. It all packs the same exact way. Some days they tell me I have to remove it all, other days I hear nothing and I'm on my way.
And therein lies a great mystery as I get the same. My stuff fits in the Pelican case just one way. Anything out of place and it is instantly noticeable by me. It is always packed the exact same way with everything in the exact same place.

I put the case in the x-ray, and then the comedy begins. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Turn up the intensity. Turn down the intensity. Call others over to look at it. They may or may not call some more. All this time the person in front of me has their stuff stuck in the tunnel waiting for the operator to decide whether to pull my bag or not. On occasion, it miraculously comes flying out of the tunnel with no additional checks needed. Not most of the time.

They take it to the stainless table. I get everything from a quick outside swab and sent on my way to a complete disassemble and rerun in multiple bins or anything in between. I never know. I drives me a bit insane. The inconsistency is incredible.

Then they insist on repacking everything. I watch them with a bemused indifferent look as they try to get it back right. Eventually they ask me if I mind packing it as they can not remember how it came apart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.