Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rmbr4thamnd
I heard some good news today...I don't know if this is a trend or not but a good friend of mine flew out of JAX today. This individual said that while at the checkpoint, more people were opting out than were agreeing to go through the NOS. Is anyone else seeing an increase in opt outs?
Not my experience, unfortunately. Watched about fifty sheeple go through the NoS last weekend at SFO. Not a single opt-out
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rmbr4thamnd
I heard some good news today...I don't know if this is a trend or not but a good friend of mine flew out of JAX today. This individual said that while at the checkpoint, more people were opting out than were agreeing to go through the NOS. Is anyone else seeing an increase in opt outs?
I'm almost always the only one to opt out of the NoS in my travels. Most people are sheep and go on thru.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
Has Logan already swapped out the backscatters for MMWs? I knew they were planning on it, but I didn't know the timeline.
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I've heard of several airports doing this. Clever ploy to get the sheeple to accept the naked scanners. No radiation here, sir- come on in!

I always opt out.

Not a fan of those things at all, no matter what form they take.

I'll give an update on the state of opt outs in CLT on Friday.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Went through BOS Term C tonight.

All of the blue boxes are gone now and replaced with MMW's. The (pregnant) dragon kept saying, "Our new scanners don't use radiation." etc etc etc

I opted out and it didn't take long for the groper to show up. He also wanted to tell me how the new MMW's were "safe" and "nobody sees your picture".

I said "that's not what my problem is." He kind of took offense a little bit and said, "I didn't say you had a problem" and then started talking about his "service" and how he "served long ago" so that I would have the "freedom of choice." blah blah blah

All in all the grope was typical and actually kind of light and the wait was nothing from start to finish. The only disappointing part was that used to it was pretty easy to SDOO going through here and now they've got a MMW in every lane.

And FWIW, I don't care if there are health BENEFITS to going through the machines, I won't do it. I find them to be demeaning and humiliating and beneath the dignity of a free man (to paraphrase Rand Paul), but the groper was kind of harmless and I didn't feel the need to have another confrontation after my last adventure a week ago so I just let it go.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
I opt out every single time, and unless my husband is tagging along with me to get groped as well - I never see anyone else opt out either.

Anyway, I opted out at HOU early Tuesday morning and encountered one very surly groper. Has anyone else noticed that screeners stuck with pat-down duty are especially unpleasant early in the morning? It made me oddly happy that I ruined her whole day!

Now we'll see who's day I get to ruin on Friday when I fly home from SDF.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
And FWIW, I don't care if there are health BENEFITS to going through the machines, I won't do it. I find them to be demeaning and humiliating and beneath the dignity of a free man (to paraphrase Rand Paul), but the groper was kind of harmless and I didn't feel the need to have another confrontation after my last adventure a week ago so I just let it go.
Curious - don't you feel that being sexually assaulted it MORE humiliating than being forced through the machine? I personally do, which is the only reason I don't opt out, but I never hear of people making my choice. Maybe I'm overly modest or something. (Thankfully though, I've never encounter "backscatter or else")
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lovely15
Curious - don't you feel that being sexually assaulted it MORE humiliating than being forced through the machine? I personally do, which is the only reason I don't opt out, but I never hear of people making my choice. Maybe I'm overly modest or something. (Thankfully though, I've never encounter "backscatter or else")
You're a woman, I think it's worse for a woman. For a man, I think there's some sense that it's the groper who's being sexually assaulted.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
You're a woman, I think it's worse for a woman. For a man, I think there's some sense that it's the groper who's being sexually assaulted.
Fair enough.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:54 pm

Curious - don't you feel that being sexually assaulted it MORE humiliating than being forced through the machine?...
I opt out because (1) the radiation risk is of more concern to me, (2) I don't trust TSA to delete the scanner data, (3) the scanners represent government waste and security theater like nothing else, and (4) groping is surely a more unpleasant job than running the scanner.

That is not to say I don't think the groping is evil. It's the lesser of two evils. IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:55 pm

Opted out last week at DFW terminal E. I asked for new gloves after he touched the dirty tote as he brought my things over to me. He said he just put new gloves on and it was my tote as I informed him it was his tote. He stormed off and bumped a coworker as he threw his 'sterile' gloves away. The pat down was surprisingly courteous and not retaliatory.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by cottonmather0

All of the blue boxes are gone now and replaced with MMW's. The (pregnant) dragon kept saying, "Our new scanners don't use radiation." etc etc etc

I opted out and it didn't take long for the groper to show up. He also wanted to tell me how the new MMW's were "safe" and "nobody sees your picture".

Funny, I could've sworn that not that long ago, they were telling Congress and the media and everyone that the old (BSKX) scanners were "safe." Hmmm.

And I'm sure I remember them saying that somebody could see your picture but it didn't matter because it was just a fuzzy chalk outline and not at all revealing and tame enough for kindergarten kids and ...

Did I sleep through the part where they recanted on those claims?

Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
I've thought about this, yes. And you are correct that both are humiliating.

The way I see it, I'm not a criminal and I don't like being automatically presumed to be one. So if TSA insists on making the security process invasive, then someone is going to look me in the eye and treat me as an individual and "earn" that suspicion. By opting out, I'm forcing TSA to acknowledge that I don't approve of the system. They can't ignore me and act like I'm some nameless faceless animal passing through a plastic box.

That's why.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:11 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
My last 6 times through PWM, I've been able to get the WTMD opened up since I have a PWM SIDA badge.

No luck with an airline badge at any other airports, which gives me the sharpest pain in my right shoulder...

Honestly, I've gone through the same background check as TSA...why can't all airline employees just use WTMD?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: QFF
I think I just had the best TSA "experience" that I've ever had at JFK.
T8, Priority lane. No dumb questions from the TDC. After the TDC, the line spilt in two, one to a WTMD next to the precheck lane, one to a BKSX (which was mostly fed by the normal lane next to priority). No barkers. No TSA related problems at all.
The person behind me in the line told the TDC he had a pace maker and was asked if he wanted a pat down or the machine. He opted into the WBI.
I was all ready to opt out too.

Also had a CBP experience last night about 10000 times better then the last time I went though JFK T7 CBP. Two questions (reason/length of visit), entry into USVISIT system, welcome. Took longer waiting for my bag then it took to get through either CBP station. Compared to last time when I had to answer about 30 questions and they refused to believe I could afford my own holiday.

Has something happened in New York during the last 13 months, or did I just get lucky?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
My last 6 times through PWM, I've been able to get the WTMD opened up since I have a PWM SIDA badge.

No luck with an airline badge at any other airports, which gives me the sharpest pain in my right shoulder...

Honestly, I've gone through the same background check as TSA...why can't all airline employees just use WTMD?

Why can't all travelers use the WTMD?

People who think they are special give me a sharp pain right in the AS_!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.