Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 22, 12, 8:07 pm   #3031

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
InkUnderNails,

FYI, Connecticut is not a must show ID state.

Mr. Elliott
Mr. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 12, 4:56 am   #3032

Programs: WN A+ w/CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott View Post
InkUnderNails,

FYI, Connecticut is not a must show ID state.

Mr. Elliott
Good to know. When I asked why he needed it, he did not demand it or say I had to show it. That fits. It also fits the professionalism of the officer to not exceed his authority when he easily could.
Old Sep 23, 12, 7:37 am   #3033

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Good to know. When I asked why he needed it, he did not demand it or say I had to show it. That fits. It also fits the professionalism of the officer to not exceed his authority when he easily could.
And that type of professionalism that the Connecticut State Police, who are the law enforcement agency at BDL will probably be ending within the next year or so.

Last year Connecticut created the Connecticut Airport Authority to operate all the state owned airports, and they have just hired their first director and from what I have read they will eventuality form their own law enforcement agency to replace the CT. State Police, which presently are understaffed because of budget problems and freeing up troopers to go back to their highway patrol duties.

I doubt the BDL airport assignment is high on the list of choice assignments for a State Trooper, probably the reason why he never smiled.

Mr. Elliott
Mr. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 12, 1:15 pm   #3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott View Post
And that type of professionalism that the Connecticut State Police, who are the law enforcement agency at BDL will probably be ending within the next year or so.

Last year Connecticut created the Connecticut Airport Authority to operate all the state owned airports, and they have just hired their first director and from what I have read they will eventuality form their own law enforcement agency to replace the CT. State Police, which presently are understaffed because of budget problems and freeing up troopers to go back to their highway patrol duties.

I doubt the BDL airport assignment is high on the list of choice assignments for a State Trooper, probably the reason why he never smiled.

Mr. Elliott
I understand that.

I had an uncle that was a Ky. State Policeman and he was often called upon to work University of Kentucky basketball games. He absolutely hated it, even though UK tickets are one of the hardest to get in college sports. He had to watch the crowd and not the game. If he was caught watching the game too much he was reprimanded. It was torture.

He was serious as well. After retiring from KSP, he went back regular army and became CSM of the Kentucky National Guard. There is nothing more serious than a CSM.
Old Sep 23, 12, 8:07 pm   #3035
Talkboard Vice President; Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Platinum Premier Hertz President's Club
OK, I'll be the one who looks stupid. What is a "CSM"? I tried to guess but didn't get past "Commanding...."

Bruce
bdschobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 12, 8:38 pm   #3036

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
OK, I'll be the one who looks stupid. What is a "CSM"? I tried to guess but didn't get past "Commanding...."

Bruce
Command Sergeant Major.

There is one per command. He was the highest ranked NCO in the KY National Guard and as such he was regular army and not National Guard.
Old Sep 25, 12, 6:44 am   #3037

There are no nude-o-scopes on the B side of Terminal 1 at FLL. Yay! TSA staff were professional and pleasant, too. I think I will fly Southwest henceforth.
Schmurrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:41 pm   #3038
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmurrr View Post
There are no nude-o-scopes on the B side of Terminal 1 at FLL. Yay! TSA staff were professional and pleasant, too. I think I will fly Southwest henceforth.
Don't worry. They'll get there soon. I loved MKE for the same reason until they ruined it a few months ago.
Old Sep 26, 12, 7:23 am   #3039

Programs: United 1K, Continental Platium, AF Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, VS Silver, SPG Gold
The following is an account of what just occurred to my partner and I at JFK:
As a type 1 diabetic, I use an insulin pump at all times. The manufacturer of that pump has advised me NEVER to go through any of the advanced screening methods, as it can adversely effect the reliability of my device. When presenting myself to security at JFK Terminal 7 on 9/26, agents refused to allow me to be screened by the magnetometer as other passengers with disabilities and small children are allowed to do, and said that I would be treated as an Opt-Out, even though I did not Opt-Out, I was medically unable to pass through the AIT. I was told that I would be forced to undergo a secondary pat-down even though I had done nothing that would show reason why I would require such a screening. Upon notification of my objection, the supervisor came over and told me that "if you want to fly today, you will be getting a pat-down." When I requested that he call a law enforcement officer to take a report and witness this discrimination, I was told that no LEO would be called. I had to call 911 in order to get police to respond, which took about 30 minutes. I was told that ANYONE who could not go through the AIT MUST get a secondary pat-down, no matter if they are disabled. During my pat-down, which took more than 15 minutes to complete, two officers went through EVERY item I had, including taking EACH of my credit cards out, and inspecting each side closely, and separating every dollar bill I had from the others. I clearly was not only discriminated against for being a diabetic, but also for complaining about the TSA.
Old Sep 26, 12, 10:23 am   #3040

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfreak View Post
As a type 1 diabetic, I use an insulin pump at all times. The manufacturer of that pump has advised me NEVER to go through any of the advanced screening methods, as it can adversely effect the reliability of my device. When presenting myself to security at JFK Terminal 7 on 9/26, agents refused to allow me to be screened by the magnetometer as other passengers with disabilities and small children are allowed to do, and said that I would be treated as an Opt-Out, even though I did not Opt-Out, I was medically unable to pass through the AIT. I was told that I would be forced to undergo a secondary pat-down even though I had done nothing that would show reason why I would require such a screening. Upon notification of my objection, the supervisor came over and told me that "if you want to fly today, you will be getting a pat-down." When I requested that he call a law enforcement officer to take a report and witness this discrimination, I was told that no LEO would be called. I had to call 911 in order to get police to respond, which took about 30 minutes. I was told that ANYONE who could not go through the AIT MUST get a secondary pat-down, no matter if they are disabled. During my pat-down, which took more than 15 minutes to complete, two officers went through EVERY item I had, including taking EACH of my credit cards out, and inspecting each side closely, and separating every dollar bill I had from the others. I clearly was not only discriminated against for being a diabetic, but also for complaining about the TSA.
Sub-human pieces of scum, the entire lot of them.
MusicManSamwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 12, 1:03 pm   #3041

@joelfreak - sorry about your experience. Where are the American Disability Act supporters? It makes me mad that people with various medical conditions are singled out. Take comfort in knowing that people without diabetes sometimes face the same treatment as you. I guess they all see us as cattle that need to be herded through the checkpoint. They expect us to happily "moo" along.

Several people that I know that have flown recently in the US have said that the scanners are now the norm and the WTMD is a rare thing. Funny that in Canada, this isn't even a big deal like it is in the States. They don't use the scanners are often and they don't see opt-outs as a "threat". Also, they don't use the backscatter machines.
average_passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 12, 1:38 pm   #3042

Quote:
As a pump user myself, I have experienced this myself. Sometimes the patdown is ok but yet I still feel like it's excessive. Other times, I get a patdown that I feel is more suitable for going to prison. Some of them definitely feel retaliatory for daring to opt out of the scanner. I hate getting the lecture from the TSA drone about how safe the scanners are and how it's equivalent to a couple of minutes at 35,000 feet. I don't care how safe it is. My pump manufacturer says not to go thorugh the scanner and that's all I need to know. I'm not risking my pump. Even if I was able to go through the scanner, I have a feeling my pump and infusion set will alarm the scanner and I'll still get a patdown.

My plan for the future is to make the groper uncomfortable. I'm going to make him clarify that my resistance is really my penis and scrotum. I want him to think about what he is doing. It may not make a difference. Since I have to get groped to get on a plane, I may as well make them feel as miserable as I'm feeling about it.

How does the TSA really know that it is an insulin pump? They swab it for explosives, but wouldn't I clean it really well if I packed it full of C-4? They never make me turn it on or examine it.

On the flip side, I hope it never does give a false positive on explosives. I don't know how that would be cleared. I don't think they would want me pressing buttons on it at that time.
spd476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 12, 3:56 am   #3043

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post
My plan for the future is to make the groper uncomfortable. I'm going to make him clarify that my resistance is really my penis and scrotum. I want him to think about what he is doing. It may not make a difference. Since I have to get groped to get on a plane, I may as well make them feel as miserable as I'm feeling about it.
I have found that a very effective way to make them uncomfortable is to ask them if the pat down involves sticking their hands into your pants. Although their procedure involves this, they are incapable of admitting it. If they are doing it, they must at least live up to it.
BubbaLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 12, 9:09 pm   #3044

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
San Diego

Went through the UA/Alaska elite line at San Diego today. A TSA clerk was directing people from that line and the one to the left--one person into the NOS, the next to the X-ray. I dawdled enough to be the next one for the X-ray but was directed to wait for the NOS instead.

Had to do the usual assertion to see my belongings while waiting--and waiting--for a female groper. By then I was in a bad mood; several other things had already gone wrong and this was the last straw. So when the groper asked me if I had any sensitive areas, I said what I've been wanting to say for months: wherever a stranger touches me. Her retort was, "Then you shouldn't be flying." There were so many things I wanted to respond with but held my tongue since I did want to fly today.

Since it's unlikely the TSA's theater productions will ever close, the dissemination of PreCheck can't come too soon. (I've been enjoying it at ORD but haven't been in another airport that has it for United yet.)
linsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 12, 5:46 pm   #3045

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Quote:
How did you phrase the assertion that you should not go through the machine? Was it "this will damage my insulin pump" or "this will cause my insulin pump to send me into insulin shock and kill me"? While I see them as the same (because I am capable of thinking above a second grade level) the actual wording may make a difference. To the TSO, one sounds like going through the AIT will harm a thing while the other suggests it will harm a person. Next time try explaining that the AIT has the ability to send you into insulin shock and could kill you since it will interfere with a device that keeps you alive.
Upgraded! is offline   Reply With Quote