Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tdfxman
Can I ask how those help ensure some degree of non-craziness on behalf of the gov't? I would get them if I knew how they helped.

Thanks
YMMV, but the style I have has the inseam stop well below "the point of resistance". When I've been wearing dress pants or shorts, the material on the pants hasn't been as forgiving in response to a karate chop motion.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
so you found the grope non invasive? many would be hesitant to go there for the rub down...
Have not noticed any difference between private room pat down and the one in the open. None have been a problem for me. These two were just going through the motions in a rather perfunctory way while carrying on a detailed conversation about drug smuggling as if I were not there.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
Popped my NOS opt-out cherry on Sunday. BTR recently supplanted their one WTMD with one of the new software equipped MMW machines. The WTMD is still in place, with the MMW to its left, and the bag x-ray to its right. After placing your bag on the belt, 2 TSOs blocking the entrance to the WTMD point you to the MMW. I told the first one that I was opting out, and he directed me through the WTMD, and called for a male assist. I should also mention that there was no signage informing passengers of the ability to opt-out, and I was the only person during the approx. ten minutes I was in the screening area that did.

After stepping through the WTMD (no alarm) I waited maybe 30 seconds for the male assist TSO. I've never had a problem with the agents at BTR, and this guy was no exception. He first asked me to identify my belongings on the belt so that he could bring them along and ensure that they were always in my sight. Explained everything he was doing, didn't run his finger all the way around my waistband (not that I'm complaining), and no armbar to "resistance" either. Whole thing took maybe five minutes. Certainly a hassle, but much better than all the horror stories.

Interesting sidenote on my return. In MHT, which is on the list of this round of MMW installations, but didn't have them installed, the TSOs are clearly getting people ready for the new "everything out of pockets" mode. After traversing the WTMD, the TSO gave folks a quick visual once over, asked them to show any pocketed items, and gave some folks a quick patdown.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Smailtronic
<snip> After traversing the WTMD, the TSO gave folks a quick visual once over, asked them to show any pocketed items, and gave some folks a quick patdown.
These were same-sex 'pat" downs, correct?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Smailtronic
Interesting sidenote on my return. In MHT, which is on the list of this round of MMW installations, but didn't have them installed, the TSOs are clearly getting people ready for the new "everything out of pockets" mode. After traversing the WTMD, the TSO gave folks a quick visual once over, asked them to show any pocketed items, and gave some folks a quick patdown.
MHT has been playing that game off and on since long before the NoS was a consideration. I've been made to lift my shirt up to my waistline and twirl for the WTMD moat dragon to show my pockets were empty, and they were hand searching any wallet that passengers dared to be carrying.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by chollie
It's going to be interesting to see how they screen the pilots when the WTMDs go away. Most recently (SEA and LAX), I saw a TSO blocking the WTMD except for pilots and airport workers.
I think WTMDs will never fully go away because of the time advantage over NOSs.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by stifle
I think WTMDs will never fully go away because of the time advantage over NOSs.
(not picking on you) I hope 5 years from now, there won't be a post: "I think NOSs will never fully go away because of the time advantage over body cavity searches."

Once there was no WTMD either, and things were faster, but time does not seem to be a variable taken into consideration here.

The time passengers are told to arrive at the airport before a commercial flight, is not getting any shorter. If the current "Chatdowns" or some near-future security mechanism takes an extra 15 minutes, 15 minutes will be added to the passenger's check in time, not someone else.

If they moved a WTMD to the street side of the terminal, and people self-checked themselves there, perhaps the lines at the CP would move faster because keys and other forgotten items would already be removed from pockets. If someone honestly forgot something the weren't supposed to have, it would allow them to leave the airport before they committed a further offense by trying to go through the CP with it. If some wannabe criminal is testing how the WTMD is being set, it doesn't really help them, because they still have to pass the CP.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by reft
(not picking on you) I hope 5 years from now, there won't be a post: "I think NOSs will never fully go away because of the time advantage over body cavity searches."

Once there was no WTMD either, and things were faster, but time does not seem to be a variable taken into consideration here.

The time passengers are told to arrive at the airport before a commercial flight, is not getting any shorter. If the current "Chatdowns" or some near-future security mechanism takes an extra 15 minutes, 15 minutes will be added to the passenger's check in time, not someone else.

If they moved a WTMD to the street side of the terminal, and people self-checked themselves there, perhaps the lines at the CP would move faster because keys and other forgotten items would already be removed from pockets. If someone honestly forgot something the weren't supposed to have, it would allow them to leave the airport before they committed a further offense by trying to go through the CP with it. If some wannabe criminal is testing how the WTMD is being set, it doesn't really help them, because they still have to pass the CP.
I think there will be a time when we have to walk through security with our pockets turned out. Can't turn them out? Automatic secondary.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I think there will be a time when we have to walk through security with our pockets turned out. Can't turn them out? Automatic secondary.
Plus a wedgie to check for underwear bombs.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:26 pm

brings to mind the old joke about kissing rabbits
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Nah, a better idea is to prohibit pockets.

What is the purpose of pockets? 'Artful concealment'. If you have nothing to hide, why would you need pockets anyway?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:13 am

My First Opt Out

On 12/12/2011 at ORD, terminal 3, elite lane. After DH and I had been in line for 30 seconds, the WTMDs were shut down and only NoS (Backscatter/X-Ray type) machines being used. When I got near the TSA person directing traffic from the hand luggage X-rays to the NoS, I said, "I need to Opt Out".

Surprisingly, all went well: "Female opt out" was shouted; DH took care to watch my hand luggage on both ends; and in approx. 30 seconds the female TSA person came. She asked if I wanted a private screening (I said no). She asked if I could see my belongings from the "search mat" (I said my DH had already taken care of them). She put on fresh gloves from the pack right in front of me, did the spiel about what she was going to do, and asked about "tender areas".

I was wearing running tights, and it was clear that I could not be hiding anything on my legs...I also shrugged them "lower"; the result being "resistance" was met below my crotch. Kind of - the TSA person started the groping of my legs from the top and mostly worked down - I don't recall the possibility of a karate chop to my crotch. I hope it was the choice of leggings? Something the ladies who prefer the comfort of dresses for flying might consider wearing underneath?

As far as touching my breasts? Also didn't really occur - I'm not well endowed, so the back of the hand in between doesn't touch them, and the back of the hand grazing my underwire was no big deal...

Well, the entire search *IS* a big deal, but I feel like I got off lucky. No X-ray exposure (I was easily able to walk around the machine and not too close to it), and I don't have a horrific tale to tell about the "pat down". I only heard one other shout of "female out opt" while I was in that area of the airport; no "male opt out" cries at all. Sadly, DH would rather expose himself to radiation than "make a fuss", but that's his decision.

- LTFTLurker
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by LTFTLurker
On 12/12/2011 at ORD, terminal 3, elite lane. After DH and I had been in line for 30 seconds, the WTMDs were shut down and only NoS (Backscatter/X-Ray type) machines being used. When I got near the TSA person directing traffic from the hand luggage X-rays to the NoS, I said, "I need to Opt Out".

Surprisingly, all went well: "Female opt out" was shouted; DH took care to watch my hand luggage on both ends; and in approx. 30 seconds the female TSA person came. She asked if I wanted a private screening (I said no). She asked if I could see my belongings from the "search mat" (I said my DH had already taken care of them). She put on fresh gloves from the pack right in front of me, did the spiel about what she was going to do, and asked about "tender areas".

I was wearing running tights, and it was clear that I could not be hiding anything on my legs...I also shrugged them "lower"; the result being "resistance" was met below my crotch. Kind of - the TSA person started the groping of my legs from the top and mostly worked down - I don't recall the possibility of a karate chop to my crotch. I hope it was the choice of leggings? Something the ladies who prefer the comfort of dresses for flying might consider wearing underneath?

As far as touching my breasts? Also didn't really occur - I'm not well endowed, so the back of the hand in between doesn't touch them, and the back of the hand grazing my underwire was no big deal...

Well, the entire search *IS* a big deal, but I feel like I got off lucky. No X-ray exposure (I was easily able to walk around the machine and not too close to it), and I don't have a horrific tale to tell about the "pat down". I only heard one other shout of "female out opt" while I was in that area of the airport; no "male opt out" cries at all. Sadly, DH would rather expose himself to radiation than "make a fuss", but that's his decision.

- LTFTLurker
Thanks for that description, Lurker. I often wear leggings or yogga pants in airports, since tight clothing seems to help avoid secondaries. Did they stick their hands into your waistband? This part of the opt-out pat really is pushing the line for me, and I would like to know if elastic leggings renders an exemption.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:41 pm

Hmmm...

IIRC, The TSA person touched the outside of the waistband - I'm pretty certain there was no touching of my skin, thank God!

The worst part was the hair pat down -- I have very fine/thin hair, so "luckily" there were no fingers run through it. However, I did not care for my head/hair to be touched. There's no way to hide anything in my hair! Forgot about that creepy part of the "search". Sucks that I need to consider my air travel requirements when considering extensions; I do NOT want someone (other than my DH) to run their fingers through my hair!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by LTFTLurker
IIRC, The TSA person touched the outside of the waistband - I'm pretty certain there was no touching of my skin, thank God!

The worst part was the hair pat down -- I have very fine/thin hair, so "luckily" there were no fingers run through it. However, I did not care for my head/hair to be touched. There's no way to hide anything in my hair! Forgot about that creepy part of the "search". Sucks that I need to consider my air travel requirements when considering extensions; I do NOT want someone (other than my DH) to run their fingers through my hair!
Hair touching is beyond creepy. I have very curly hair, so now I have to tie it down or something before I fly? I´ve already changes my clothing pattern - this is insane! But thanks for the answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.