Wiki Posts
Search

Inflated pricing via Ultimate Rewards Mall

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Inflated pricing via Ultimate Rewards Mall

Noticed that booking a hotel on Expedia via the Ultimate Rewards Mall adds 2.5% compared to shopping via Kayak or directly to Expedia. So much for getting those extra UR points.
No thanks
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Noticed that booking a hotel on Expedia via the Ultimate Rewards Mall adds 2.5% compared to shopping via Kayak or directly to Expedia. So much for getting those extra UR points.
No thanks
That is surprising but I don't think UR ever promised to have the lowest price on travel. The discount with UR will sometimes be the lowest price but, as always, it pays shop around.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:29 pm

No thanks
Do you have CSP or Ink+? It gives 20% discount when booking travel. So that 2.5% increase should not be too much of an increase.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
Do you have CSP or Ink+? It gives 20% discount when booking travel. So that 2.5% increase should not be too much of an increase.
The discount is 25% but still doesn't always give you the lowest price. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...red-kayak.html for more data.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
That is surprising but I don't think UR ever promised to have the lowest price on travel. The discount with UR will sometimes be the lowest price but, as always, it pays shop around.
I am not talking about shopping at the Chase UR Mall, I am talking about shopping at Expedia arriving via the Chase UR Mall.

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
That's not the topic of this thread.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:02 am

No thanks
It is probably Expedia who is doing it... something like if you are using a referral link to get to us, we are going to pass the cost to you.

I never really check the price closely when I use a shopping portal, but I guess I should. Maybe getting the extra points would not be worth it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Need

I never really check the price closely when I use a shopping portal, but I guess I should. Maybe getting the extra points would not be worth it.
You use two different browsers, one for using the referral link, one without. That way any price difference will be caught red-handed. I do this for shopping on NewEgg via the UR mall.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:39 am

I've seen this before not just with UR mall, but with other cashback portals like befrugal and Mr. Rebates. Sneaky.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I've seen this before not just with UR mall, but with other cashback portals like befrugal and Mr. Rebates. Sneaky.
I never even thought about websites would do it. It is kind of like the stores doing if you pay by credit card, we will charge extra 3%...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.