Chase Sapphire Credit Card

Old May 11, 2009, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Chase Sapphire Credit Card

Just received this post card:

" Dear Tahkuct,

Thank you for being one of our most valuable customers. We're recognizing your loyalty with an exclusive invitation to upgrade your card to the new Chase Sapphire - at no cost.

Chase Sapphire provides you with a higher level of services and benefits including dedicated service professionals available 24/7. You'll enjoy a breadth of redemtion options and rewards through Chase's new Ultimate Rewards with no earning caps, no expirations, no travel restrictions, and no blackout dates.

It's our way of saying thank you. If you continue to meet our credit criteria, you will receive your exclusive Chase Sapphire upgrade invitation in the mail in the upcoming weeks.

Sincerely,

Deb Walden
Executive Vice President
Customer Service
Chase Card Services?

Is this a new product they are launching? The postcard does not even have a phone number to call for more information.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:23 pm

Never heard of it. I wonder what the qualifying criteria are.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Since they seem to be going the Pokemon route, I'd hold out for Ruby or Emerald.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hur88
Never heard of it. I wonder what the qualifying criteria are.
That card does not say much. It looks like a teaser.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Found this thread on Fatwallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/923798 The op there even posted an image of this postcard online.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't received the invitation, but received a letter informing me the 3% rebate will be gone by June 30. It will become a 1% card with quarterly promo a la Discover fashion.

The $50 bonus when you redeem $200 reward will also be gone, actually earlier than June 30 but I forgot the exact date.

Granted, the Freedom card only earned $63ish reward in a span of almost 2 years (after the initial sign up bonus of $250), Chase isn't too keen to upgrade me to Sapphire.

I did get an offer for spending $250 on travel and entertainment expenses between Apr and June, that would earn 3% instead of 1%. I am still building on this but this letter takes away the incentives.

Schwab 2% card will take the place of both Chase and Citi to become our primary card.

Last edited by Happy; May 12, 2009 at 11:04 am Reason: Add more data pt
Old May 11, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've been waiting for this for a long time. We have Gold, Platinum, and now Sapphire.

I am holding out for a Plutonium card.
Old May 12, 2009, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Schwab 2% card will take the place of both Chase and Citi to become our primary card.
Wait, really? I thought educated FTers used TYN cards exclusively?
Old May 12, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I don't like TYN, but persuasian is possible.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skofarrell
That is BEFORE TYP devaluation.

Your info is at least 3 months outdated, in case you have missed out the clearance redemption of the TYPs that was a frenzy on this board between January and March. May be you need to read the first page of the Sticky that is still up on this forum?

Educated FTers go with what pays out the most at the present. Actually, there are some FTers still enjoy a 3 to 5% rebates on the TYP card(s), depends on what card(s) you hold and how you were able to talk Citi into offering the lucrative retention offers.

Go find and show the forum a card that could still yield up to 7% when couples it with retention bonus and flight point other than the TYP PPE some folks have had huge success on. I am all for it if you can find one and show it to us.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Actually, the changes to Chase Freedom are worse - because now the $30 annual fee is a requirement.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patchmonkey
Actually, the changes to Chase Freedom are worse - because now the $30 annual fee is a requirement.
Do you refer to the Freedom Plus or whatever the version that has an annual fee? That is the one that has more categories eligible to earn 3%, right?

The regular Freedom (both the Plat and the Signature versions) dont have annual fee, do they?

The letter I received has not mentioned anything about annual fee.

Citi's Plat AMEX with 3 to 5% earning rate, even after TYP devaluation to only 1c worth per pt, still is a better earning if the gift cards offered by TYP suit your needs, or you use Expedia to book flights.
Old May 12, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Originally Posted by Happy
Do you refer to the Freedom Plus or whatever the version that has an annual fee? That is the one that has more categories eligible to earn 3%, right?

The regular Freedom (both the Plat and the Signature versions) dont have annual fee, do they?

The letter I received has not mentioned anything about annual fee.

Citi's Plat AMEX with 3 to 5% earning rate, even after TYP devaluation to only 1c worth per pt, still is a better earning if the gift cards offered by TYP suit your needs, or you use Expedia to book flights.
I have a Citi Plat AmEx too (I'm actually getting ready to convince them to either waive the annual fee or extend the 3-5% on it) and a Schwab Invest Visa Signature.

But my Chase Freedom is a Chase Freedom World Mastercard. My letter states the following:
  • 3% cash back on eligible gas, groceries, and fast food
  • 1% on everything else with no caps and no expiration
  • 3% bonus categories sometimes
  • cashback at $50

And then has the following changes:
  • Unlimited non-expiring rewards
  • no annual fee for the first year, $30 thereafter
  • no more $250 for $200
  • crappier bonus structure.

I have actually already spent an hour trying to get the Sapphire promo. Apparently they can't switch because the "Ultimate Rewards" program hasn't gone into effect yet; nor can they transfer my credit line. Boo that.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:18 pm

so..

Chase Freedom World MasterCard --> 3% on quarterly changed categories, no annual fee.
Chase Freedom World Elite MasterCard --> 3% on gas/groceries/fast food, plus 3% on quarterly changed categories, $30 annual fee.

boo..
Old May 13, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I have the original Chase Freedom Visa..3% groceries,gas,fast food.

There is no annual fee and I recently received a letter stating it was being upgraded to a Signature Visa,but all rewards and terms would remain the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.