Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Chase Allow an Over-Credit-Limit Charge to Go Through if There's a Credit Bal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Chase Allow an Over-Credit-Limit Charge to Go Through if There's a Credit Bal?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:07 pm

So while I'm happy for RNE, I'm very curious about the answer for this. At some point I will have large charges that will outdo my credit limit (and I don't particularly want to have a credit limit that large). I definitely want to maximise rewards for this - if the vendor will not work with me for split card payments, is there anyway around this?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Productivity
...is there anyway around this?
Yes, see post 2. It's often mentioned that the NPSL feature of VISA Signature/Infinite (and MasterCard World/World Elite) cards will allow spending at 3X the revolving limit, but I do not know the source of that number -and- I am confident that there is substantial variation based on the age of your relationship with the issuer, spending pattern, and known income.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:56 pm

This doesn't exactly answer your question because you want UR, but maybe consider the Amex Business Platinum. It earns 1.5x on any purchase over $5000, but of course they'll be MR and not UR. It is a charge card, though, so there's no preset limit.

Edit to add: My credit limit across all my Amex credit cards is $43,500. (I just canceled my personal Platinum today.)

Edit 2: I see you've found a workaround anyway. Have fun with those UR!

Name:  chrome_2017-09-16_17-54-54.png
Views: 4970
Size:  34.0 KB
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, see post 2. It's often mentioned that the NPSL feature of VISA Signature/Infinite (and MasterCard World/World Elite) cards will allow spending at 3X the revolving limit, but I do not know the source of that number -and- I am confident that there is substantial variation based on the age of your relationship with the issuer, spending pattern, and known income.
All good information, but see earlier you referred to going over 10x the limit being unlikely. I only have vague ideas now, but that amount is conceivable. It honestly seems somewhat strange that there's no way to tee this up with Chase formally - surely these sorts of transactions are a big win for them.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
In the USA credit cards are generally not linked to a specific deposit account. They are unsecured personal lines of credit, and there is no necessary connection between the issuer of the card and the bank account used to pay it.
Wouldn't this just be a de facto debit card connected to a checking account that's linked to some secondary checking/savings account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.