Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
So you have the option to downgrade from CSP to Plain Sapphire before the first annual fee posts on CSP, but you do not have the option to upgrade from CSP to CSR before the 1st year anniversary?
Correct. The CARD Act forbids cc issuers from increasing your annual fee in the first year. CSP->CSR would increase your AF.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Interesting... I wonder what would happen... I mean I am pre-approved, so I do not think they would not give me the card...
Here is the pertinent language in the Offer Details in the online application.
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.
If this same language exists on the pre-approval application, you will be denied. The banker should print it out for you to sign before proceeding. Read it carefully.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
File me as peeved about this...mainly because I was just about to come out of 5/24 (thanks to a BofA cluster two years ago surrounding the new AGR cards and a bungled rollout*). I actually didn't bother with the CSR sign-up bonus (as indicated in many places, as much as I would have preferred to have an extra 100k in my account there were/are enough bells and whistles attached to the card to make it worthwhile without the bonus) because the whole thing dropped shortly after 5/24.

(This card being my oldest regular-use account has triggered some sub-optimal behavior...I moved it to a CSP, then a CSR, after Amtrak switched banks because I did not want that account going in a drawer and then getting cancelled.)

*Basically, thanks to IT issues, I wound up getting three cards in the space of 48 hours rather than the one I had planned on. On the other hand, this has left me in a surprisingly strong position for status requalification on Amtrak since I can harvest 40% of the SE requirement off of my cards.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
So I was first a CSR cardholder and got the 100K bonus and I shamelessly got a CSP just to get the 55K bonus, and now I have no need for my CSP anymore. I've heard that some can downgrade CSP to CFU or CF. Do I have to wait until 1 year later or can I do it now (just a few months after getting CSP)?

The CSR is a no-brainer to me, as my family annually books over $20K in travel (and thus, I blow through the $300 credit in a week). Plus the PP membership I utilize very heavily and the 3X travel/dining rewards are super rewarding.

I like my CF for the quarterly bonuses, and I want to supplement with a CFU to get the 1.5x for all other purchases (aside from Hilton stays where I have my Hilton cards).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
So I was first a CSR cardholder and got the 100K bonus and I shamelessly got a CSP just to get the 55K bonus, and now I have no need for my CSP anymore. I've heard that some can downgrade CSP to CFU or CF. Do I have to wait until 1 year later or can I do it now (just a few months after getting CSP)?

The CSR is a no-brainer to me, as my family annually books over $20K in travel (and thus, I blow through the $300 credit in a week). Plus the PP membership I utilize very heavily and the 3X travel/dining rewards are super rewarding.

I like my CF for the quarterly bonuses, and I want to supplement with a CFU to get the 1.5x for all other purchases (aside from Hilton stays where I have my Hilton cards).
SM to download the CSP to the CS and then, once complete, change the CS to the CFU or CF.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
SM to download the CSP to the CS and then, once complete, change the CS to the CFU or CF.
I was able to PC from CSP to CFU directly and got a 6 months prorated annual fee refund for the CSP.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Need
I was able to PC from CSP to CFU directly and got a 6 months prorated annual fee refund for the CSP.
You had CSP for longer than 1 year, so you were able to PC directly to CFU. If you've had it for less than 1 year, you almost always need to go the indirect route described in the post that you quoted.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You had CSP for longer than 1 year, so you were able to PC directly to CFU. If you've had it for less than 1 year, you almost always need to go the indirect route described in the post that you quoted.
Ah.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:56 am

Does one who is an AU on a CSP and never had a sapphire card count as someone who has a sapphire product?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by pkoo
Does one who is an AU on a CSP and never had a sapphire card count as someone who has a sapphire product?
No.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
So my wife currently has the CSP since about Dec of 16. Does this new rule mean there is no way for her to get the CSR card anytime soon?

Chase is blocking their own everyday customers for getting their newest card???
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 am

Is this disapproval automatic?
I got the CSR under a month ago, and noticed that i'm still "preapproved" for the CSP.
Any chance, or forget about it?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
So my wife currently has the CSP since about Dec of 16. Does this new rule mean there is no way for her to get the CSR card anytime soon?

Chase is blocking their own everyday customers for getting their newest card???
Sounds about right.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
... CSP since about Dec of 16. Does this new rule mean there is no way for her to get the CSR card anytime soon?
When her Sapphire Preferred has been open for 12 months she should be able to upgrade to Sapphire Reserve. No bonus, but not blocked from obtaining the card.
carlitos likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When her Sapphire Preferred has been open for 12 months she should be able to upgrade to Sapphire Reserve. No bonus, but not blocked from obtaining the card.

I think this is incorrect.

It should be:
After 24 months after you received your bonus points for the Sapphire Preferred, you can then upgrade to the Sapphire Reserve.

You may wish to check out this thread........
​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.