Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lss250
Makes sense, thanks for pointing this out.

Someone on Reddit also pointed out another area of ambiguity in that PC-ing is different than "closing" an account. The memo refers specifically to no eligibility for 24 months after closing an account, so perhaps it would still be possible to downgrade the CSP to a Freedom as soon as the CSP bonus posted and then be approved for a CSR with eligibility for a CSR bonus. You haven't technically closed any accounts in that scenario, nor would you be holding multiple Sapphire products at any time.

I personally doubt it, as the intent seems to be to prevent double dipping bonuses (or at least wait a few years before doing so) and this is a fairly obvious workaround. But will be interesting to see.

Edit: whoops, Diplomatico made the same point upthread! Should have read closer
Troopers, in post #5 , quoted the actual language from Chase T&C which means the PC option is dead too. It says:

"The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months."
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:42 pm

Welp there goes my plan to cancel the CSR and sign up for the CSP when the AF hits.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well with sites like TPG encouraging signing up for the "trifecta," it isn't like Chase was just going to standby and let everyone and their mother screw them out of AF and keep the points forever.
Rare and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Welp there goes my plan to cancel the CSR and sign up for the CSP when the AF hits.
You and 15,000 other people.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Me thinks that was why Chase instituted this rule, and when they did. They are coming to the realization of CSR-flight.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jn in ca
+1

I don't think there is any chance that the timing is coincidental. Chase can see that a huge wall of CSR annual fees are about to hit.
And if I understand it, if they don't let you apply for a CSP, bonus or not, then you have to cash out your points or lose them cancelling the CSR.

This affects a colleague who closed his CSP when he got the CSR, but was thinking about downgrading back to a CSP when his AF is up, so he could keep his URs.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Gig103
And if I understand it, if they don't let you apply for a CSP, bonus or not, then you have to cash out your points or lose them cancelling the CSR.

This affects a colleague who closed his CSP when he got the CSR, but was thinking about downgrading back to a CSP when his AF is up, so he could keep his URs.
Wait. Is Chase not allowing downgrading from CSR to CSP? I thought that was still allowed.

On another point, if you have a spouse who has (or could get) a CSR/CSP/INK, you could transfer your URs to him/her. My wife is an AU on my CSR and has her own CF card (two of them, actually). She transfers her URs to my account. Thus, we both generate URs yet between us we pay an annual fee on only one card. (Shhh, don't tell Chase.)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103

Pretty sure that's still allowed.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:08 am

From the language in the memo downgrading seems to be allowed. Just can't receive any new sign-up bonus.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You and 15,000 other people.
So now that I think about it, and assuming I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it's not all that bad...

My understanding is that the 24 month wait triggers only when you receive a Sapphire bonus. Cancelling a Sapphire card doesn't trigger it so come this time next year we can cancel the CSR / sign up for a CSP.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:13 am

From the language in the memo downgrading seems to be allowed. Just can't receive any new sign-up bonus.

So now that I think about it, and assuming I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it's not all that bad...

My understanding is that the 24 month wait triggers only when you receive a Sapphire bonus. Cancelling a Sapphire card doesn't trigger it so come this time next year we can cancel the CSR / sign up for a CSP.
Yeah, this seems right. I think it's annoyed a lot of people who were planning to apply for the CSP in the very short term.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:21 am

What is Chase intending to accomplish by denying people the card itself?

I understand what they're accomplishing by denying the bonus to anyone who has had a Sapphire-series card in the past 24 months, but if I cancel my CSR tomorrow and decide 6 mos from now that I want a CSP (or want my CSR back, for that matter), what is Chase gaining by telling me "no" instead of "sure, but no bonus UR points"?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
What is Chase intending to accomplish by denying people the card itself?

I understand what they're accomplishing by denying the bonus to anyone who has had a Sapphire-series card in the past 24 months, but if I cancel my CSR tomorrow and decide 6 mos from now that I want a CSP (or want my CSR back, for that matter), what is Chase gaining by telling me "no" instead of "sure, but no bonus UR points"?
They're trying to incentivize people to pay the annual fee to keep the CSR for the second year. If you cancel, you can't get another Sapphire product for 12-14 months, depending upon when the bonus posted.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:05 am

Just wondering how PC csp->csr works? When PC it, how much AF will they charge? Keeping same anniversary and prorated 450-95 or whole 450 and new anniversary?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:33 am

This would really hurt if people decided to transfer all UR points to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited and cancelled the CSR thinking they could just wait to apply for CSP..... and then Chase rolled out their rumored no UR points transfer from free card to paid card... Now all your points are locked at $0.01/point forever...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Need
This would really hurt if people decided to transfer all UR points to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited and cancelled the CSR thinking they could just wait to apply for CSP..... and then Chase rolled out their rumored no UR points transfer from free card to paid card... Now all your points are locked at $0.01/point forever...
Yep. To avoid this, transfer/get the Ink Business Preferred if one doesn't already have it or the Ink +. Or transfer out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.