Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally made it to 1,000,000 UR points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:02 pm

Wow, you accumulated 1 million solid without cutting into the stash? Lots of people on here have accumulated 1 million total, but most tend to churn and burn them, so the balance at any given moment may be somewhat low. But piling in 1 million before spending any? Thats some seriously delayed gratification. Go take a few insane trips and treat yourself now!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Seriously, go spend the point ASAP before Chase acting up and close your acct for some stupid reasons and all your points will go bye-bye.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Seriously, go spend the point ASAP before Chase acting up and close your acct for some stupid reasons and all your points will go bye-bye.
Chase allows closed accounts 30 days to transfer the points out. His points are safe but the devaluation has been an ongoing process during the time he amasses such a big pile. UA for example has had a major devaluation in late 2013? followed by another big devaluation in the form of limiting routing and restricted stopovers last year, and another small scale devaluation this year.

The most popular transfer partners, UA, SQ, Hyatt, all have had devaluations.

So the stock pile actually has lost about 20% or more value in the duration to amass them.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by brody24
Wow, you accumulated 1 million solid without cutting into the stash? Lots of people on here have accumulated 1 million total, but most tend to churn and burn them, so the balance at any given moment may be somewhat low. But piling in 1 million before spending any? Thats some seriously delayed gratification. Go take a few insane trips and treat yourself now!
I dipped into them a couple of years ago for a 3 week trip to Europe but between the CSR signup bonus and some strategic spending the total regained it's healthy level.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Congrats on the milestone! I have yet to reach a million in any one program, although I've been very, very close several times, just before booking a trip. The tally is terrific, (so many zeros!) but the travel that it represents is truly a blessing to you and yours, me and mine.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Congrats on the milestone! I have yet to reach a million in any one program, although I've been very, very close several times, just before booking a trip. The tally is terrific, (so many zeros!) but the travel that it represents is truly a blessing to you and yours, me and mine.
We are looking forward to using them. It will be fun!

As a side note... I grew up in San Diego and I have a brother, sister and a son who currently live there now. A great place.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Happy
The trip in Jan/Feb this year to Middle East and Hong Kong was done exclusively on miles and points due to the myriad choices among chains and the SPG to Marriott ratio was of a great help. I actually felt we were wasteful to stay exclusively at Marriott and JWM.
The JWM in Hong Kong is one of my favorite hotels. On my last trip I decided to look at SPG choices due to the merger, but the JWM has the best location. It's on Hong Kong island and is connected to MRT via Pacific Place mall. Can't wait to go back!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
The JWM in Hong Kong is one of my favorite hotels. On my last trip I decided to look at SPG choices due to the merger, but the JWM has the best location. It's on Hong Kong island and is connected to MRT via Pacific Place mall. Can't wait to go back!
Yes. We prefer Hong Kong Island. When you return to JWM. request the double beds room which is a corner room and about 20% larger than the standard room. The nice thing of this property is, it guarantees bed type for the elites. So this is a certain way to get a corner room.

Due to several unforeseen factors we wound up had a 12 nights stay in Hong Kong. (plus 3 nights in Abu Dhabi and 7 nights in Dubai when we originally was to go to Jordan...) The SPG pts came to rescue while we also used some HHonors pts we burnt a ton of SPG pts on that trip.

As much as I like UR pts, I like SPG pts much more because we use 40 to 50 hotel nights each year. The SPG to Marriott ratio is a great arbitrage opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.