Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for airline tickets purchased mostly with UR points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I bought a couple of EWR-AMS tickets on DL for a cruise mainly using UR points, paying under $50 using my Chase Freedom card (I had just converted a basic Sapphire card to Sapphire Reserve to get the 50% bonus, could not get approved for a new one due to 5/24 rule and couldn't find the old card to use). I'm in the process of buying travel insurance for the cruise and the owner of the company I'm buying the insurance thru suggested not including the tickets in the covered amount because he didn't think the policy issuer would cover tickets purchased with points. However, I have a receipt from the Delta site showing the full purchase price of the tickets being charged to a Visa card (not mine). What is people's experience when covering tickets purchased with UR points? Obviously it's different than buying tickets with miles, since the receipt will not show a real purchase price in that case.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MisterBill
I'm in the process of buying travel insurance for the cruise and the owner of the company I'm buying the insurance thru suggested not including the tickets in the covered amount because he didn't think the policy issuer would cover tickets purchased with points.
Try another company.

When you purchase a travel insurance, how you pay for the trip is irrelevant. When the insurance is unfortunately needed, the insurance has a way to adjust your claim accordingly (however, to ease the process, most insurance companies will simply pay out cash in lieu of points returning to account).
Old May 31, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by garykung
Try another company.

When you purchase a travel insurance, how you pay for the trip is irrelevant. When the insurance is unfortunately needed, the insurance has a way to adjust your claim accordingly (however, to ease the process, most insurance companies will simply pay out cash in lieu of points returning to account).
A couple of Ins. Co. I investigated for my last award trip would only play a flat amount of dollars ($200-$300 range) if you filed a claim. I'm betting that none of them will convert your miles to cash. I never saw this language in any of the many policies I investigated. Of course, you can always redeposit your miles with the airline & pay their onerous fees.

I would look at the policies offered on insuremytrip.com and read the fine print carefully.

I'm not positive how Chase and DL would handle a flt. cancellation.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by philemer
A couple of Ins. Co. I investigated for my last award trip would only play a flat amount of dollars ($200-$300 range) if you filed a claim. I'm betting that none of them will convert your miles to cash. I never saw this language in any of the many policies I investigated. Of course, you can always redeposit your miles with the airline & pay their onerous fees.
I do believe that it may depend on the extent of the claim.

If the insured is able to obtain a re-deposit or some sort, then the travel insurance will only reimburse the cost associated with that. However, when it comes to a total forfeiture, I believe the insurer will have to pay based on the cash equivalent.

Mind telling me which one you have checked so I can take a closer look?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I do believe that it may depend on the extent of the claim.

If the insured is able to obtain a re-deposit or some sort, then the travel insurance will only reimburse the cost associated with that. However, when it comes to a total forfeiture, I believe the insurer will have to pay based on the cash equivalent.

Mind telling me which one you have checked so I can take a closer look?
I ended up using Nationwide Mutual for cruise & travel coverage. Part of the policy says:
The Company will reimburse You for the following:

a) pre-paid non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by the Travel Suppliers;
b) airfare cancellation charges for flights in connection with Your Trip commencing within one day of the Land/Sea
Arrangements;
c) The fees incurred by You for re-depositing frequent traveler awards (frequent flyer miles, hotel point rewards, etc.) in Your
account if You used awards for any part of a Trip that is canceled for a covered reason. The Company will not pay more
than an aggregate amount of $250.00 for all Trips while coverage is in effect and for fees paid for re-depositing frequent
traveler awards,
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
c) The fees incurred by You for re-depositing frequent traveler awards (frequent flyer miles, hotel point rewards, etc.) in Your account if You used awards for any part of a Trip that is canceled for a covered reason. The Company will not pay more than an aggregate amount of $250.00 for all Trips while coverage is in effect and for fees paid for re-depositing frequent traveler awards,[/b]
It actually aligns in how I read it:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.