Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussing the mechanics of points transfer: qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer. For advice on which partner to transfer to for a given travel goal, see Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to? and the master threads compiled there.
For the pre-2017 version of this thread, go here.

Q. Can I transfer UR points to airline/hotel programs?

A. Yes, but only from a UR account tied to one of the following premium (i.e., fee-based) Chase cards:
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • JP Morgan Reserve
  • JP Morgan Palladium (discontinued)
  • JP Morgan Select (discontinued)
  • INK Preferred
  • INK Plus (discontinued)
  • INK Bold (discontinued)

Holders of non-premium Chase UR cards,
  • Freedom
  • Freedom Unlimited
  • Freedom Flex
  • Sapphire (discontinued; different from Sapphire Preferred)
  • INK Cash
  • INK Classic (discontinued)
  • INK Unlimited
may not transfer directly to airline/hotel programs. However, if you hold both a premium and non-premium UR card, you may freely combine your UR points into the account of the premium card. (Similarly, if your spouse/domestic partner holds one of the premium cards, you can make an internal UR-to-UR transfer to his or her account. See below.) Even though Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash are marketed as "cash back" cards they actually earn UR points.

Q. What airline or hotel programs can I transfer UR points into?

A. UR points may be transferred at no charge to these airline programs at a 1:1 exchange rate:

ONEWORLD
  • British Airways Executive Club (BA)
  • Iberia (IB)
SKYTEAM
  • Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) (AF)
  • Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (VS)
STAR ALLIANCE
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • United Airlines MileagePlus (UA)
  • Air Canada Aeroplan (AC)
    • Chase Aeroplan credit cardmembers get a 10% transfer bonus after transferring 50,000 or more Ultimate Rewards points in a single transaction from an eligible Chase credit card to their Aeroplan account. Maximum of 25,000 bonus points per calendar year. This offer was previously scheduled to end on 12/31/23, but has now been made permanent.
    • 20% bonus on transfers ended Jan. 15, 2024
INDEPENDENT
  • Aer Lingus (EI)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • JetBlue (B6) - 25% bonus on transfers ended on Jan. 10, 2024
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards (WN)
and to these hotel programs:
  • IHG Rewards Club - 60% bonus on transfers through March 1, 2024
  • Marriott Bonvoy
  • World of Hyatt

Transfers to Amtrak were previously available, but ended permanently on December 8, 2015. See Announcement regarding Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. In many cases, yes, although transfers to at least one partner (Marriott) may take several days. A summary:
  • AC: Variable. Generally posts instantly (as noted in this July 2023 post). On the other hand, a report from August 2021 indicated a delay of 72-96 hours and a June 2023 post reflects a delay of roughly 30 hours.
  • BA: usually Instant
  • SQ: "Most Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer point transfers process within 2 business days." Several reports suggest it takes 24-48 hours, although there appears to be a lot of variation.
    Post #128 reports 7 business days; post #214 reports a turnaround of 2hrs 15mins. NOV 2017 - 24 hours
  • WN: Normally Instant but see posts starting at #451 about delays
  • UA: Normally instant, but see this thread: UR to United transfer is not reliably instant
  • AF: Instant
  • VS: Instant.
  • Hyatt: Occurs within a minute or less (numerous reports)
  • IHG: One business day. Instant on 10/30/19. Instant on 9 March 2022.
  • Marriott: Transfers "will process by the next business day"; actual experience is approx. 2 business days
  • Ritz:

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Chase UR airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit transfers to a spouse or domestic partner's frequent traveler account, and prohibit all other transfers. On November 13, 2015, Chase announced the further complication (and perhaps additional restriction) that effective November 15, 2015, as a holder of a UR-earning business card "you can only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account." For discussion of this policy statement and its impacts, see this thread.

Transferring UR points from one household member to another's FF account:
If, for instance, you'd like to transfer UR points from your spouse to your United Airlines account, here are the rules: To transfer directly from [her] UR account to your UA account you would have to be members of the same household -and- you would have to be an Authorized User on [her] Chase card account.

Points can only be transferred to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user on your account eligible to receive point transfers.

Combining UR point accounts: To combine points from a UR account with your UR account you would have to be members of the same household. Here are the rules:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q. I heard that Chase has closed accounts for unauthorized transfers. What's the story?

A. Those reports involve sharing (aka combining) points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another Ultimate Rewards account. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit combining points with a spouse's or domestic partner's UR account, and prohibit all other internal sharing of UR points. See this thread:

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Credit card and rewards accounts may also be closed if Chase decides to close your personal or business bank accounts for any reason.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

My transfer of 16,000 UR points finally posted on my Southwest account, 71 hours later. Wonder how long it's taking for everyone else? Certainly a far cry from the "instantaneous" promise that Chase's marketing makes. Definitely devalues UR if I don't know I'll be able to snag a good fare using them.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by atltravel2
Calling seems useless. Southwest told me there is nothing they could do, and it could take up to 6-8 weeks. Chase told me it's a known issue lately with a number of partners, and they expect it would take up to 7 business days to resolve.
Calling Chase about anything lately is a waste of time.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:11 pm

My transfer also posted this morning, also about 3 days.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:57 am

This is unbelievable. I just transferred 75K UR into Hyatt to book a last-minute stay and the points haven't shown up. This doesn't look good ... and it's going to kill my plans. I don't know what to do ...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:43 am

Points showed up this morning. Phew
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
This is unbelievable. I just transferred 75K UR into Hyatt to book a last-minute stay and the points haven't shown up. This doesn't look good ... and it's going to kill my plans. I don't know what to do ...
Really disappointed today! Chase is unwilling to assist (as usual) and I actually needed the Hyatt points to book a stay starting tonight.

Terrible excuse ... "overwhelming demand due to the holiday rush"

Terrible.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: CSR
Booking flight to india using miles. which airlines? probably lower mile usage.

I am looking to book a oneway tkt to a yoga retreat in india (i plan to travel to other countries after the retreat is over so this is just one way tkt to India )

I have almost 105k UR miles.
And another 35k miles with my chase sapphire.

what is the lowest number of miles to use for EWR / JFK to maa on Jan 17 or Jan 18 or Jan 19 ?

which airlines will give the best use of the miles for this one way?

I apologize is this has been already answered. I am looking for a fresh look on the lowest miles to use.

I have done some research and have read several threads and wikis.
- the chase UR portal consumes lot of miles ... so i am ruling that option out.
- the best way is to transfer to partner sites
---- which is the best partner site to transfer to for this scenario?

Kuwait Airways and Emirates have some cheap tickets from consolidated/aggregated deal sites for these dates.

having said that, which partner site is the best?

Last edited by MagicAngel; Jan 2, 2017 at 1:37 pm Reason: more
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MagicAngel
How many points? The number of UR points is directly related to the price of the ticket.

Have you looked for award availability on united.com?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MagicAngel
I am looking to book a oneway tkt to a yoga retreat in india (i plan to travel to other countries after the retreat is over so this is just one way tkt to India )

I have almost 105k UR miles.
And another 35k miles with my chase sapphire.

what is the lowest number of miles to use for EWR / JFK to maa on Jan 17 or Jan 18 or Jan 19 ?

which airlines will give the best use of the miles for this one way?

I apologize is this has been already answered. I am looking for a fresh look on the lowest miles to use.

I have done some research and have read several threads and wikis.
- the best way is to transfer to partner sites
---- which is the best partner site to transfer to for this scenario?

Kuwait Airways and Emirates have some cheap tickets from consolidated/aggregated deal sites for these dates.

having said that, which partner site is the best?
The first step is to see what carriers fly to MAA, and from where. Work backward from there.

My guess is that the lowest combined cost (miles plus surcharges) will come from redeeming UA miles on Star Alliance carriers. UA does not collect surcharges for award travel on any carrier, but does charge a close-in award booking fee.

Do an award search at united.com to see if there is availability on your preferred dates.

Aren't your Chase Sapphire "miles" also UR points?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:37 am

I just transferred to Southwest instantly without issue.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:16 pm

Really disappointed today! Chase is unwilling to assist (as usual) and I actually needed the Hyatt points to book a stay starting tonight.

Terrible excuse ... "overwhelming demand due to the holiday rush"

Terrible.
Points just showed up in my Hyatt account ... 29+ hours after initiating the transfer.

Glad the points are in but not at all pleased with Chase at the moment.

For now Chase can't be trusted for last-minute transfers and I would recommend for others to plan accordingly. This unexpected delay messed up my own plans lovely. And Chase shows no love in these instances.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond
Adding another data point - I transferred 119K UR to British Airways on Jan 2. Points still haven't shown up on British Airways. Very frustrating since UR to BA have always transferred instantly in the past. I want to book a flight before the award space disappears. I contacted Chase and they weren't helpful at all - just a canned response that sometimes it can take days to complete.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by bta80
Adding another data point - I transferred 119K UR to British Airways on Jan 2. Points still haven't shown up on British Airways. Very frustrating since UR to BA have always transferred instantly in the past. I want to book a flight before the award space disappears. I contacted Chase and they weren't helpful at all - just a canned response that sometimes it can take days to complete.
I had exactly the same problem a year ago trying to transfer points to British Airways. Finally pulled it off after a 6 week ordeal that centered around how my name appeared on a seldom used Chase savings account despite that my BA name and Chase UR name were identical. Ultimately you have to be prepared to persist, my situation likely having been 15 calls As my ultimate intention was to then move the points from BA to IB for tickets not involving fuel surcharges, well IB was even worse! More name compatability issues between BA and IB. Ultimately the whole ordeal between Chase/BA/IB took me 4 months to complete. Final result was my trip to Marrakech had to be postponed from 2016 to 2017.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Just did a transfer to Hyatt five minutes ago and the points were in my account nearly instantly.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bta80
Transfer finally completed last night. I was able to book the flight - thank goodness award availability hadn't changed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.