Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I think it would work just as well to contract the property directly to notify them, however you may find that the property does not have any record of a reservation made through Chase's site until a day or two before the stay begins. If advance notice is critical to securing a suitable room this is probably not the best way for you to book.
Thanks--the cash price is pretty cheap, so I think I'll go that route.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:10 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with the Chase travel portal? For example, today I was looking at lodges/resorts at Kruger National Park. For some reason only about 1/5 of the hotels are appearing today. Also, if you search HDS and then Kruger you will notice Baobab Lodge is $200+ more when you search HDS airport for Jan 16th.

I know that the shopping portal had issues loading a few days ago. Anyone else experience similar issues?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If I book a Delta ticket in the chase portal will I still have until midnight the next day to cancel? Do they just rebate the points used? I'm
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: delta
Delta

Booked a flight on Delta through Chase portal. For some reason, 3 days later, it still hasn't posted. At the very bottom it says "activity not eligible for mileage credit."

Seems odd that it wouldn't earn any miles or MQD's as I'm Silver Medallion and was upgraded to first class. I assume if the ticket wasn't able to earn miles, it also wouldn't be able to be upgraded. I'm confused...Maybe they'll appear in a couple more days. Has anybody else had this experience?

I fly Delta 15 times a year so hopefully, worst case scenario, I can call and pester them to give me the miles...If they're interested in doing right by their loyal customers, that is.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Hotels: Chase Ultimate Rewards Price vs. Booking Direct

So I'm trying to use my Ultimate Reward points to book hotels in Hokkaido Japan. I know there's 20% discount by booking with Ultimate Rewards but I wanted to do a direct comparison between that and booking direct with the hotel just to see what price Chase is basing their "discount" on. However, what I'm finding is that Chase doesn't always display/tier the room type/prices the same as the hotel. For example, one hotel I've been looking at is the Cross Hotel Sapporo. From the hotel's website you can see that they separate their rooms into 3-4 distinctive styles (Hip, Urban, Nature, etc.) and then within each "style" type they have twin and double and then beyond that, rooms on one of the lower floors and rooms at the top floor (Cross Floor), rooms w/ breakfast and rooms without. What Chase does not show is the room "style" type. For this reason it's not possible to directly compare their price with the hotels because you don't know which rooms they're referring to. This is true for other hotels as well. Chase may use words like "premium" room or "deluxe" room while the hotel might not use these words. I'm interested to know if any of you have run into this problem and how do you get around it. Just whose price is Chase basing their 20% discount off of? If it's off of the highest price returned by TripAdvisor and that highest prices just happens to be perhaps 20% more than booking direct with the hotel, then I'm obviously not going to use my rewards points for that and save it for something else.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redleader74
... 20% discount by booking with Ultimate Rewards...
There is no discount. Chase changes the fixed monetary value of the points from $0.01 to $0.0125 when used to book travel. They make no representation about the prices.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is no discount. Chase changes the fixed monetary value of the points from $0.01 to $0.0125 when used to book travel. They make no representation about the prices.
Exactly.

The Chase prices are OPAQUE in a way because in many cases there are NO direct comparison as the poster has found out.

I have long resorted to this "realization" -

1) you would get a "good deal" IF you book a flight that has the same price as booked on airline's own website, AND it is not those "basic economy" type fares.
We have already found that there are fares only sold on airlines own websites, as well as Chase portal only offer the "basic economy" type fares, leaving you to pay much higher fee to checked bag.
In one DP reported, the poster booked a business fare with an airline in Czek but at check in the airline told him it was coach, and basic coach too - so he had to pay checked bag. The poster said he filed a claim with Chase but he did not come back to update the outcome so we would not know how it all ended.

2) you would get a "good deal" IF you book a room that you can READILY Verify both the price AND the actual booking - so you know the price Chase shown, is the price you would have to pay while either booking direct with the hotel or thru major OTAs such as Booking.com. More importantly. you can readily Verify with the hotel that you INDEED GET A ROOM. So you would not be caught in a situation when you arrive but find out you have no room - either the hotel does not have the booking record / sold out, or the hotel simply refuses to honor the booking (happened with one of my bookings that the owner just ignored my repeated requests on the status of the booking - had to involve Connexion Help Desk supervisors to eventually cancel the booking with full refund).

Too much hassles to go thru and too many traps / perils to avoid, in order to achieve the extra 0.25 to 0.50 per pt value. It would work for some whose travel needs can use such. Definitely a big disappointment to me on the less than a handful occasions I tried to use it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Hi - I'm want to use my UR points to transfer to Korean Airlines to book a trip on from LAX to SJU, Korean seems to have the least amount of miles needed for this.

My understanding is that I transfer my UR points to my KoreanAir account.

1. How quickly does it show up on KoreanAir?

2. If I look on Delta's site and see there is award availability there will Korean see it too?

3. Is calling KoreanAir better than trying to book through their website (which seems to be having trouble today (or is it just me?)?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Hi - I'm want to use my UR points to transfer to Korean Airlines to book a trip on from LAX to SJU, Korean seems to have the least amount of miles needed for this.

My understanding is that I transfer my UR points to my KoreanAir account.

1. How quickly does it show up on KoreanAir?

Thanks!
Can't answer 2 and 3 but I found this the other day and bookmarked it.
https://upgradedpoints.com/transfer-...ol-calculator/
I know that points that I transferred to United were instant.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by cajunguy
2. If I look on Delta's site and see there is award availability there will Korean see it too?
!
No. Not all award seat inventory is available to partner airlines. It's difficult to identify the qualifying inventory on Delta because they do not publish award redemption charts. This means you may not know which flights have seats at the "lowest" level, and only that level is available to partners. Instead, look on the Air France site. If they show award seats available on Delta, those should also be available to Korean Air, Virgin Atlantic, and other partners.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:05 am

Anyone know/have any experience with any 3rd party that is willing to acquire Chase UR points in exchange for Alaska Air Mileage Plan award seats?

I am trying to get points over to Alaska, and it turns out that I can only transfer to Virgin Atlantic, which can then (for some reason) NOT transferred to Virgin America.

Anyway, need some help.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:29 am

THere is an inefficient way to do it. You can transfer UR to Marriott, transfer Marriott to SPG, then transfer SPG to Alaska. Even in the proper increments, you will 0.417 Alaska miles for each UR point you started with, but if you are desperate for Alaska miles, it can be done.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:23 am

Does anyone have experience on a flight ticket refund from the airline when the ticket is purchased thru Chase UR Travel with UR points? I bought some tickets with cash and some with points on Delta. I had to cancel the trip and the tickets because of a death in the family. Delta approved the refund due to bereavement and I can see the cash bought tickets refund shows up on my CSR a week ago. I have not seen any refund for the tickets I got with UR points.. (either in points or cash equivalent).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:32 am
mia

Some relevant discussion in the recent portions of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...efundable.html
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
Some relevant discussion in the recent portions of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...efundable.html
Yeah I looked thru that thread, but my case is a little different. I know my tickets were non-refundable (normally), but Delta Air has done the refund due to death in the family. I just don't know what happened to the "refund". I have send a secure message to Chase to see if they know where the refund is. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with a Chase UR Travel points refund on CSR. Lets say you spent 100,000 points, do you get get 100,000 points back? Or you get $1000 back? Or dare I dream $1500 back because that would be the value of the points with CSR using UR Travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.