Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the cardsuch as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not availablethe card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:51 am

I'm wondering how certain vendors are coded in Chase's system and if you can discuss this with Chase?
There's a restaurant near us (should be 3x points). But this restaurant also has a store area where you can purchase their sauces and wines, etc.

My statements show it as a regular store, even when we go to the diner side, so I'm only getting 1x points. Anything I can do?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:59 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I'm wondering how certain vendors are coded in Chase's system
They are are not coded by Chase. The merchant's acquirer, the company which processes their card transactions, chose the classification.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm wondering how certain vendors are coded in Chase's system and if you can discuss this with Chase?
There's a restaurant near us (should be 3x points). But this restaurant also has a store area where you can purchase their sauces and wines, etc.

My statements show it as a regular store, even when we go to the diner side, so I'm only getting 1x points. Anything I can do?
It's all up to the store and how they categorize themselves. Not much you can do. You might be able to complain and get a one time credit. But don't expect it to go on.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I don't think there's much you can do.

There's a coffee shop I go to by my house several times a week and it gets get coded as something like general merchandise and not a restaurant but the weird thing is they own another coffee shop a little over a mile away and the purchases at that shop code as a restaurant. Same with food trucks some post as restaurants and some post as other even a lot of the food trucks have restaurants and the purchases at their restaurants. At least they are small purchases and I've never called chase for an adjustment since they are small amounts and just use another credit card now at that coffee shop and on any food truck where I'm not sure how it will post.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Depends on the fare class that Chase ends up buying. You certainly *might*, but there's no guarantee. You can see the fare class the tickets would be in before checking out, and then look up yourself what you get for qualifying dollars/miles/segments.
what would be a case where we wouldn't earn miles? Does chase use opaque fares that don't earn miles.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
what would be a case where we wouldn't earn miles? Does chase use opaque fares that don't earn miles.
The portal will sometimes recommend Basic Economy fares, which can have very restricted mileage earning. I don't know if they ever use truly opaque fares, but I have seen it try to recommend BE several times.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
The portal will sometimes recommend Basic Economy fares, which can have very restricted mileage earning. I don't know if they ever use truly opaque fares, but I have seen it try to recommend BE several times.
so since I only ever book Premium Economy tickets on Cathay Pacific and Singapore, then I shouldn't really be worried about this at all?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:02 pm

double post
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

I use this site to check:

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp
for example to decide which card to use in my favorite German store/restaurant.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:12 am

Travel Codex hinted on twitter that he became aware of a method of getting 3 cpp when redeeming using his CSR. Any ideas how this is achieved? Someone suggested it was related to SW companion pass, but I think it might be something else. He said he'd potential post about it later this week on his site.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Travel Codex hinted on twitter that he became aware of a method of getting 3 cpp when redeeming using his CSR. Any ideas how this is achieved? Someone suggested it was related to SW companion pass, but I think it might be something else. He said he'd potential post about it later this week on his site.
https://www.travelcodex.com/2017/07/...ompanion-fare/
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:56 pm

Anyone know if the adding authorized users, is the fee prorated or do they charge the $75 fee no matter what.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:43 pm

$100 global entry credit

guys - can I use my chase reserve card for my kid's global entry fee (she's a minor) or do I have to sign her up as an authorized user

Thx
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Yes you can use it, it doesn't matter who the fee is for.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
You can give it to anyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.