Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Getting under 5.24 before Chase Sapphire Reserve 100K bonus is cut

I previously applied for the Sapphire Reserve but got declined due to 5.24 rule.
Having reviewed my credit report (via CreditKarma) my 5th most recent card (counting back 5 cards) was opened on Jan 11, 2015, so I calculate that I will be down to only 4 cards opened within 24 months as of Jan 12, 2017.

however, reports are that the 100K signup bonus will be slashed to 50K with last day to apply being Jan 11 (co-incidentally)

Should I apply on Jan 11, 2017, or would I need to wait till Jan 12> to be within the 5.24 limit (and consider an in-branch application)?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
I previously applied for the Sapphire Reserve but got declined due to 5.24 rule.
Having reviewed my credit report (via CreditKarma) my 5th most recent card (counting back 5 cards) was opened on Jan 11, 2015, so I calculate that I will be down to only 4 cards opened within 24 months as of Jan 12, 2017.

however, reports are that the 100K signup bonus will be slashed to 50K with last day to apply being Jan 11 (co-incidentally)

Should I apply on Jan 11, 2017, or would I need to wait till Jan 12> to be within the 5.24 limit (and consider an in-branch application)?
I just read in some article on the front page of FlyerTalk that the January end of the 100k offer is for online applications, but that the 100k offer will apparently remain available through sometime in March in branches. You may want to see if that information can verified, and if so just plan to apply in a branch when your 5/24 timing seems safer.

The other option is to check now, in a branch, for whether you're pre-approved for the CSR there. In-branch pre-approvals seem to evade 5/24, but online pre-approval don't seem to.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by OliverB

My Experian/Fico score is 740 and TransUnion is 716 but both need to be updatedto reflect a credit account that I've since closed. I probably should have waited to apply...
I see you were later approved, but FYI, closing that account would likely decrease your credit score (very slightly - unless you closed one that made up a large percentage of your total available credit) by causing the total credit utilization ratio to increase, assuming nothing else changed.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by SFGuy37

If you're close to a branch, it would make most sense just to wait until after 1/12.

If a branch is inconvenient, you could try applying on 1/11, wait a few days, then call and when they tell you denied for too many cards, make sure they understand that one of the cards was opened >24 months ago. They should still be able to see the credit report showing the account opening dates, so I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I just rolled the dice after getting declined due to the 5/24 rule a few months ago, and had success! I need to do a better job tracking all the applications.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by sonomawine
I just rolled the dice after getting declined due to the 5/24 rule a few months ago, and had success! I need to do a better job tracking all the applications.
so, are you saying you're under 5/24 now and got approved, or you're still over but you were approved regardless? Online? Preapproved?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

No $450 annual fee trick

Just approved and lowered my limit from $10,000 to $1,500 before I even received the card. I did the same thing with the Chase Ritz Carlton Rewards card and I avoided the annual fee for the first year. This hack was widely reported on numerous sites. Google "Ritz Carlton annual fee hack" and you'll see. Both cards are Chase and both are Visa Infinite program, so it will be interesting to see if this works again. Once fee is not charged I will transfer some credit limit from my Freedom back to my Reserve so I will have higher amount and can easily meet the $4K for the bonus.

Per the Credit Card Act from 2009 credit cards cannot have an annual fee that exceeds 25% of the credit limit.

Last edited by joshmo; Jan 5, 2017 at 2:28 pm Reason: forgot info
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by joshmo
Just approved and lowered my limit from $10,000 to $1,500 before I even received the card. I did the same thing with the Chase Ritz Carlton Rewards card and I avoided the annual fee for the first year. This hack was widely reported on numerous sites. Google "Ritz Carlton annual fee hack" and you'll see. Both cards are Chase and both are Visa Infinite program, so it will be interesting to see if this works again. Once fee is not charged I will transfer some credit limit from my Freedom back to my Reserve so I will have higher amount and can easily meet the $4K for the bonus.

Per the Credit Card Act from 2009 credit cards cannot have an annual fee that exceeds 25% of the credit limit.
Not worth it if it gets you flagged by Chase and you lose access to all their other cards/bonuses.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Not worth it if it gets you flagged by Chase and you lose access to all their other cards/bonuses.
Why would I get flagged by Chase? There system allowed me to lower my credit limit. I did nothing illegal and nothing that would violate anything in writing from Chase like a terms of service agreement. For all they know I lowered it just because I wanted to. Just used my knowledge of the law to my advantage like the big banks do as well. Maybe it will work again and maybe it won't, but worth a try to save $450. A billion dollar bank with a billion customers - I doubt they will even notice nor care.

Last edited by joshmo; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm Reason: more info
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Card was delivered today in a plain white envelope within a UPS overnight envelope, no nice box or other packaging. Def not the presentation the R-C card and Amex Platinum had. Doesn't really matter in the end but for $450, you'd think....
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by LR2013
Card was delivered today in a plain white envelope within a UPS overnight envelope, no nice box or other packaging. Def not the presentation the R-C card and Amex Platinum had. Doesn't really matter in the end but for $450, you'd think....
That's how mine came as well and I was slightly disappointed. I mean I know the 100K points but still...it would've been nice to have a pretty box with the card in the middle like I've seen in the unboxing videos.

Why would Chase stop doing this for a premium product like the Reserve card??
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Chris2013
That's how mine came as well and I was slightly disappointed. I mean I know the 100K points but still...it would've been nice to have a pretty box with the card in the middle like I've seen in the unboxing videos.

Why would Chase stop doing this for a premium product like the Reserve card??
Because they know it's just going to be thrown in the trash and they can save some money.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Because they know it's just going to be thrown in the trash and they can save some money.
Well, with that logic, I guess airlines can just give us J and F amenities in recyclable bags. Who needs more Rimowa kits, right??

My wife allows me to keep some of mine, the nicest and the highest points "wins," in a corner on a bookshelf in my office. The Citi AA Exec 100k, Amex Plat 100k, and the R-C box gets a place of honor just for the effort they put into the presentation box.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:13 pm

Applied today online and received the message

"Thanks for applying.
We need to review your application a little longer.

We'll let you know our decision in writing as soon as we can. If we approve your application, you'll receive your card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Please don't resubmit your application.

Thanks for choosing Chase Sapphire ReserveSM."

I am under 5/24 and have had issues in the past where my PO Box mailing address conflicted with the street address in the application. I was afraid that waiting the 7-10 days would push me past the Jan 12 deadline so I called recon only to find out I had been denied because of the amount of credit already extended on existing cards. I asked if I could move some credit to the new card and a very courteous rep said yes and I was then approved. A couple hours later the new CSR card showed up with the others in my online account summary.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Submitted my Global Entry renewal on 1/3 and credit posted at the same time the charge posted.

For those wondering, it does not post as travel (not that surprising since charge is "USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER" which is government agency) so no 3x on the charge.

Credit posts as: KNOWN TRAVELER CREDIT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.