Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Approved

Applied yesterday and got approved within minutes with a credit line of 35k.
I didn't have any card apps within last 2 years.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MotownMJM
Hey points experts. I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Ultimate Rewards card in time to qualify for the 100k points bonus, but am unsure as I'm a loyal Delta Skymiles Platinum Amex member. I'd love your thoughts on what you'd do. My situation:

- Live in Atlanta and fly Delta 90% of the time (occasionally spending a few bucks more, in order to keep my rewards points focused on one airline)
- Spend the $195 annual fee and always use the annual companion pass, which pays for that fee
- Spend about $50k per year on the card, which gains me 20,000 MQM's and bonus miles
- About 8-10k of my annual spend is on delta flights
- A total of about $20k is spent on travel and restaurants combined
- Based on my MQM's and MQS's, I usually achieve only silver status, which still affords me the occasional upgrade to Delta comfort and once in a great while 1st class
- I appreciate having the extra year warranty on items purchased with card (it saved me $1k on a shoddy TV)

The 100,000 point sign on bonus would be nice for Chase, as would the 3x spend on travel and dining. But seeing that Delta will continue to be my default airline more often than not (due to being based in Atlanta), am I better off sticking with my Platinum card? I'm a little skeptical that all those travel points will have a lower cash value since they have to be booked through the Chase Rewards Portal.

Any of your thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!

Matt
I won't bash or promote Chase, American Express or anybody else, so let me say that the Delta Amex cards are great cards for the benefits.

However, earning Delta Skypesos is not very rewarding. Keep your current card for the benefits when flying Delta, but to maximize rewards, you need a second card to put the bulk of your charges on. I am even not saying the CSR is the best card to be your second card. I see you charge at least $10k/year in non Delta travel expenses. That seems like a pretty good candidate for the CSR, but only you know if you charge enough to make the CSR's huge annual fee worthwhile. However, you'll do best if you put some spending on a second credit card.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:05 pm

SO applied and approved in branch on the spot. Not under 5/24 till April, but was not an issue in the branch.

She did not have any preapprovals in the branch last month. Reduced already VERY high CL on existing cards by approx. 40% a month ago and preapprovals showed up in branch for bunch of different cards including Reserve.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:55 pm

Something magical happened so just thought I'd share a data point. Those of you above 5/24, don't give up hope just yet!

I'm at 8/24 as of today. I have held off on applications and hope to get down to 5/24 by Aug 2017 to apply for CSR. I tried visiting a branch in November but wasn't pre-approved. Haven't checked since and was gonna wait. Not CPC.

Once I saw that the 100k offer would expire soon, I figured I'd try online, expecting to get rejected (too lazy to visit store). Pending review when I submitted application online last night, called today and realized that it was already approved!

I find this so hard to believe!!! Didn't visit a branch yet was able to by pass 5/24. My only theory is that perhaps I'm pre-approved but I just didn't check in branch? I was under the impression that only in branch application with pre-approval could be considered for 5/24 by-pass. Anyhow, I'm not complaining about this wonderful exception! Hopefully this data point give some of you hope!

Note: I did intentionally lower all my total credit lines with Chase down to $5k personal and $5k business back in November. Not sure if that had to do with anything.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
From the previous 2 posts and from my own experience I see a bit of a possible trend that indicates having smaller credit lines could be the key that opens up that 5/24 door by generating the necessary pre-approval to bypass the rule. When I canceled my CSP earlier this year I did not reallocate the CL. I had also canceled a SW personal and bus card last year and didn't reallocate credit lines. I was down to a CF and an Ink as my only Chase cards whereas at one point I had 5 active Chase cards. Just speculating of course. It might be helpful if those with pre-approvals or who got approved with 5/24 or >5/24 can add info as to recent reductions on credit lines or canceling cards without reallocating credit.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
Was at 7/24, and hesitant to attempt the application but went for it this morning in branch.
Was notified I was pre-approved and was approved on the spot. Highest CL of all the cards I have so far though.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by justmexp
Was at 7/24, and hesitant to attempt the application but went for it this morning in branch.
Was notified I was pre-approved and was approved on the spot. Highest CL of all the cards I have so far though.
do you have banking accounts with chase?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:52 am

asked this elsewhere but couldn't get an answer... does the CSR code travel the same as the CSP? I am wondering about paying timeshare dues (not DVC) and getting the 3x points..... any Data points at all for this? I thought I'd read the CSP codes timeshare dues as travel..... Also if payment code as travel, does that t include payments due on the timeshare itself, or just the annual dues paid out?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by hsmama
asked this elsewhere but couldn't get an answer... does the CSR code travel the same as the CSP? I am wondering about paying timeshare dues (not DVC) and getting the 3x points..... any Data points at all for this? I thought I'd read the CSP codes timeshare dues as travel..... Also if payment code as travel, does that t include payments due on the timeshare itself, or just the annual dues paid out?
It all depends on how your particular timeshare is classified and we can't answer that for you. Some are hotels, which count, and some are 'other real estate', which doesn't. Some may even be some other group which might or might not count.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
It all depends on how your particular timeshare is classified and we can't answer that for you. Some are hotels, which count, and some are 'other real estate', which doesn't. Some may even be some other group which might or might not count.
Also its not how Chase classifies it for CSP vs CSR. Its how particular vendor has their classification setup with Visa. Generally it should classify same on CSR as it does on CSP, but that doesnt mean its under Chase's approved category for reimbursement or 3x points.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jn in ca
I won't bash or promote Chase, American Express or anybody else, so let me say that the Delta Amex cards are great cards for the benefits.

However, earning Delta Skypesos is not very rewarding. Keep your current card for the benefits when flying Delta, but to maximize rewards, you need a second card to put the bulk of your charges on. I am even not saying the CSR is the best card to be your second card. I see you charge at least $10k/year in non Delta travel expenses. That seems like a pretty good candidate for the CSR, but only you know if you charge enough to make the CSR's huge annual fee worthwhile. However, you'll do best if you put some spending on a second credit card.
I just applied online. It literally told me I was approved in 10 seconds. Is that normal?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just applied online and got the "We need to review your application a little longer" message. I am at 4/24. What I think might be going on is that DOLLARWISE I am at the max Chase will approve me for, as my last card approval was for a low limit and I had to call to get some credit lines reallocated between cards. [Clarification: I called Chase after already being instantly approved for a low limit, to equalize the limits among my Chase products].

Is there anything I can proactively do to make sure this gets in before the 100k expires? If it's an allocation issue, I wish there was a way I could just skip to this step, since I do not need additional credit approved from Chase...I pay off every month!

Last edited by aoumd; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by aoumd
Just applied online and got the "We need to review your application a little longer" message. I am at 4/24. What I think might be going on is that DOLLARWISE I am at the max Chase will approve me for, as my last card approval was for a low limit and I had to call to get some credit lines reallocated between cards.

Is there anything I can proactively do to make sure this gets in before the 100k expires? If it's an allocation issue, I wish there was a way I could just skip to this step, since I do not need additional credit approved from Chase...I pay off every month!
Only thing I can think of is to call Reconsideration Line and be ready to reallocate credit from one card to the other. Also CSR will need atleast 10K in credit line - allocated from other cards plus whatever Chase is willing to offer you new credit.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:49 am

I was at 5/24 with 1 being AU. I received the 7-10 message. Called recon line and first person denied me and would not take off the AU. I called back and asked for supervisor. Supervisor did it with no questions asked. Moved some credit around and had the card 2 days later.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MotownMJM
I just applied online. It literally told me I was approved in 10 seconds. Is that normal?
If you have a good profile and are under 5/24, sure. The card has a high fee and they want to get it to you as much as you want to get it. Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.