Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Here's one for you guys... I know the terms say entire rental, so think about the following scenario... Would I be covered if I use a "free weekend day" coupon provided by the rental company, but sponsored by Visa? In my mind, technically the coupon is being provided as a benefit to Visa cardholders, and by using my Chase Saphire Reserve Visa, it validates the coupon. I've done this in the past thinking I've been covered. What do you guys think?
Yes. This coupon works like a dollar off coupon (the amount is based on the weekend rental rate) rather than giving you a free rental day.

Your rental agreement will still cover that "free" day. And you still need to pay tax and surcharges for that "free" day.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Would I be covered if I use a "free weekend day" coupon provided by the rental company, but sponsored by Visa?
Originally Posted by garykung
Yes. This coupon works like a dollar off coupon (the amount is based on the weekend rental rate) rather than giving you a free rental day.
When I book a Hertz rental using Hertz points, it works the same way. The rental rate is shown, followed by a promotional coupon in the same amount as the rental rate, then the taxes and fees. Why, then, would a "free weekend day" be treated differently than a Hertz points redemption for purposes of the CSR auto rental CDW?

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The rep initially gave me the wrong answer by saying that I would be covered if I paid the taxes and fees with the card. When I asked her to look again, she put me on hold, and I guess, checked with someone else, before giving me that answer.
I am not so sure that the second answer was correct. Either way, sometimes it depends on who is handling the claim. For example, I was told by a Chase benefits rep that in order for Trip Delay coverage to apply, a round-trip ticket had to be purchased; two one-way tickets or some other routing would not qualify. She was adamant about it, saying that she handled those types of claims every day. A few months later I submitted a Trip Delay claim that by her criteria she would have disqualified, and it was approved. Other FT members have as well. So, bottom line, I would not hesitate to file a claim if I had rented with points and paid the taxes and fees with my CSR. Even if one answer is "right" and the other answer is "wrong", adjusters often have some flexibility in approving claims.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Rare
Why, then, would a "free weekend day" be treated differently than a Hertz points redemption for purposes of the CSR auto rental CDW?
Using any kinds of coupons does not waive the entire rental.

Hertz points redemption waives the entire rental.

Originally Posted by Rare
I am not so sure that the second answer was correct.
You are wrong in this case. CSR's benefit guide does specifiy that the CDW coverage can't be triggered without the "entire" rental paid by CSR.

However, Trip Delay has no such requirement. Some portion is fine.

Also, the rep you talked was clearly wrong because the benefit guide did not mention a RT ticket is required (but instead, it simply need to be a RT).
Old May 31, 2017, 2:22 am

How is the claim paid out? Is it via check?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have a rental coming up with Avis in Spain, booked through Kemwel.

Voucher indicates that it includes insurance for injury or damages to persons or things "outside" the vehicle but not inside the vehicle.

This "outside the vehicle" is I presume is also known as Third Party Liability insurance?

Rental agencies also refer to TP or Theft Protection but the CSR will cover that along with CDW.

It also excludes Fire Insurance. Anyone know how this differs from CDW coverage offered with CSR?

Would it be that fires resulting from collision would be covered by CDW but from other causes would not?

What about vandalism to the car? Looks like it's not covered by CSR but Avis says there is optional coverage to cover personal injuries to the driver or passengers or damages to the vehicle.

Has anyone gotten such coverage?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:17 am

I find that booking car rental through Ultimate Rewards doesn't give you any options for add ons? I was hoping to add Supplemental Liability Insurance. How would one do that for UR booking? I was hoping to use my UR points to redeem.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: AA++
CSP car rental insurance for car rentals in NZ

Anybody knows if I can just waive all insurances offered by car rental company in Auckland NZ, if I pay with CSP and does it get me fully covered?

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA
Yes, I did it 2 years ago.

They will talk about some scary scenarios. If you are determined, just waive it. No questions asked.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA
Actually for that rental, the rental company (I think it's Thrifty) charged me twice after I left NZ 2 months (from its Auckland location) and 6 months (from its Christchurch location which I've never been to) respectively.

I did not know what's it for. I disputed and Chase contacted the bank, but never heard back. Chase waived the charge. For the second incidence, I disputed again and asked Chase to give me a new card #. So make sure to keep the receipt after returning your vehicle.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott
So do we know how this works for free award rentals? So if I redeem Hertz points for a free day? I've never done that before since I don't rent much but I assume you still get charged some taxes?
How is the claim paid out? Is it via check?
Anybody knows if I can just waive all insurances offered by car rental company in Auckland NZ, if I pay with CSP and does it get me fully covered?
I can help with these 3 questions. In March I used my Hertz points to rent a car in Queenstown, NZ using my CSP to cover taxes and a GPS rental. Thinking I was going the wrong way to my AirBNB I did a U-turn and misjudged how much space I had and how hard the small tree was at the edge of a driveway and caused some pretty significant damage (I was actually going the right way which made the whole thing even better). When I returned my car Hertz automatically charged my card $3000NZD plus taxes. I initiated a claim immediately and was scared after reading this forum that points rentals were not covered.

Well after a lot of back and forth with e-claims I finally got a check in the mail today covering the expense. Not only am I happy to get the money back but the fact it was by check made me happier since Hertz charged my CSP I got triple points on the initial charge and don't have to give them back .
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:50 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Holdenbu
I can help with these 3 questions. In March I used my Hertz points to rent a car in Queenstown, NZ using my CSP to cover taxes and a GPS rental. Thinking I was going the wrong way to my AirBNB I did a U-turn and misjudged how much space I had and how hard the small tree was at the edge of a driveway and caused some pretty significant damage (I was actually going the right way which made the whole thing even better). When I returned my car Hertz automatically charged my card $3000NZD plus taxes. I initiated a claim immediately and was scared after reading this forum that points rentals were not covered.

Well after a lot of back and forth with e-claims I finally got a check in the mail today covering the expense. Not only am I happy to get the money back but the fact it was by check made me happier since Hertz charged my CSP I got triple points on the initial charge and don't have to give them back .

This may be a new thing... I am dropping my monthly rental from National that has LDW in the rate and burning a bunch of free days the 1 or 2 days a week I need a car. I called in on my Ritz Visa to discuss this and the rep told me that I would be covered if I pay for taxes, fees, etc... I repeated specifically that the rental would be free aside from the taxes and fees and I was told they would provide primary LD coverage.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I just initiated a claim for damage for a Hertz rental I used Hertz points for and paid for the taxes and fees with my CSR, so I will keep everyone posted on what happens.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:53 pm

CSR car rental insurance in Italy.

Seems like CDW is legally required in Italy, but is usually included in the rate. The prob is that it usually has a very high deductible. With the CSR, does it cover any of the deductible? I don't think I can decline the CDW from the rental company. And does it make sense to spend more on the super excess coverage?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkyc0
Seems like CDW is legally required in Italy, but is usually included in the rate. The prob is that it usually has a very high deductible. With the CSR, does it cover any of the deductible? I don't think I can decline the CDW from the rental company. And does it make sense to spend more on the super excess coverage?
Visa covers the deductible on many countries where the CDW is mandatory - countries such as South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and I guess Italy should also fall in the same category.

Just make sure you check the "excluded" countries listed on the document which should be able to download from Chase website under the section of benefits.

For example, Israel and Northern Ireland seem to be the perpetually excluded countries.

AMEX also does not cover Australia and New Zealand because AMEX could not get into agreements with the governments of the 2 countries on some terms, I was told by an AMEX Plat rep a year ago. These 2 countries remain being excluded on the coverage.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Sapphire Reserve benefits booklet is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

It's vague, they really want you to contact them for specifics:

When and where am I covered?
The benefit is available in the United States and most foreign
countries. Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law or
by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the
rental agreement. Please note: Regulations vary outside the United
States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental
company and Benefit Administrator before you travel to make
sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply.
What if the auto rental company insists
that I purchase its car insurance or collision
damage waiver?
Call the Benefit Administrator for help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.