Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on upcoming changes to the Chase Amazon.com Rewards Visa or whether Chase and Amazon are releasing a new card altogether. I just saw the banner below when I was checking out. However, when I hit the "See Details" button it takes me to the normal page for the Amazon.com rewards visa with the same 3% back benefit for Amazon purchases. It's clear from the image in the banner that this is not the AZ store card either.

I've had the Chase AZ visa for a while, but hardly use it as I can get better returns for AZ purchases through other cards. I don't want to rehash old conversations about how to achieve 5% back on Amazon purchases, but rather see if anyone knows whether the current AZ visa is about to become more valuable.
Attached Images  

Last edited by halamadrid; Jun 25, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Do you have the *Prime* card?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Do you have the *Prime* card?
That's the heart of halamadrid's question. There is an "Amazon Prime" Store Card issued by Synchrony Bank, and there is an "Amazon Rewards" VISA issued by Chase, but the graphic shows a card that seems not (yet) to exist: an "Amazon Prime" VISA.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
It would be interesting if Chase were to launch a 5% Amazon Visa to compete against the prime card issued by Synchrony.

The name of the card in the picture seems to indicate it may be a separate product. Although, i guess there isn't anything stopping Chase from changing the name of an existing product.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm not seeing the banner today, but yesterday hitting the "See Details" button link would take me to information on my current AZ rewards visa from Chase, which is what had me wondering whether they are changing the current product.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I hope this is true since Freedom didn't have an Amazon 5% category last year. Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum

Amazon.com, Inc. and Chase today introduced the new Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card:
5% Back on all Amazon.com purchases and rewards everywhere else you shop
2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores
1% Back on every other purchase, available exclusively for eligible Prime members.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...0111005311/en/

For the casual user, this is probably one of the best out there for amazon purchases if you don't want to go through too much effort with buying giftcards and stuff on rotating categories
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interesting card. It's of no interest for me since I can get 5x on Amazon GCs all day, but I wonder if this spells the end for Amazon being a 5x category on the freedom card to avoid cannibalizing the new Amazon prime card...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:54 am

Does it give you 5 UR points or $0.05 cash back?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by Need
Does it give you 5 UR points or $0.05 cash back?
No connection to Ultimate Rewards. The current card awards 5% in the form of points redeemable at amazon.com. There are (or were, haven't kept up) some other redemption options. Years ago the points could be converted to BA miles, but that ended (with no notice).

Last edited by mia; Jan 11, 2017 at 7:03 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
No connect to Ultimate Rewards. The current card awards 5% in the form of points redeemable at amazon.com. There are (or were, haven't kept up) some other redemption options. Years ago the points could be converted to BA miles, but that ended (with no notice).
I was hoping it would be like Freedom Unlimited where 1.5% cash back is really 1.5 UR point which is worth more than 1.5% to me.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here's the link on the Amazon website:

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember/
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:05 am
mia

Existing Amazon Rewards Visa Signature cardmembers with an eligible Prime membership will be upgraded to the new Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and enjoy 5% Back on all Amazon.com purchases, a newly designed metal card and no foreign transaction fees when traveling abroad or for cross-border shopping. Prime members can begin taking advantage of these new benefits by using their existing card until their new card arrives.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Interesting card. It's of no interest for me since I can get 5x on Amazon GCs all day, but I wonder if this spells the end for Amazon being a 5x category on the freedom card to avoid cannibalizing the new Amazon prime card...
sorry just to clarify, that's the rotating categories on Chase Freedom, and perhaps Discover card? Any other I'm missing?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
sorry just to clarify, that's the rotating categories on Chase Freedom, and perhaps Discover card? Any other I'm missing?
Yes. Not in 2016, but Amazon was a very common Q4 bonus category on the Freedom, even 10% briefly in 2015!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.