Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:02 pm

I used the Sallie Mae card (RIP) a lot for amazon. I ended up getting the prime card because it included 5% cash back and a $70 sign up for no annual few. Pretty easy choice since I don't plan on getting rid of prime anytime soon.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by eldy
This card gets 2% back at drug stores and you can cash out the points directly to your checking account. How come there hasn't been more talk of it being a viable MS card?
I'm actually very curious about this too since I just saw the drug store bit... could you transfer these points from this card to a Chase Sapphire Reserve? Because then it's not 2% back but actually 3% back if you used it on travel/hotels... ya not HUGE, but that beats the other guys by 1% :P

For every $500 gift card you would earn $15.15 worth in travel spending on the CSR. Your total fees would be $6.15 so it nets you $9/gift card. Even if you just decided to do this once a week to try to stay off the radar as a heavy hitter, that's more then $450/year, or basically the fee of the CSR. Or a nice weekend getaway hotel cost.

I'm not a big Amazon spender, maybe $1,000 a year or less... usually I just buy small stuff that's ~$50 and then maybe one or two decent ticket items of $200 or so a year. So it's not really worth another hard credit pull and yet another card to manage... BUT, if I can transfer over to CSR... then it becomes worth while!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm actually very curious about this too since I just saw the drug store bit... could you transfer these points from this card to a Chase Sapphire Reserve? Because then it's not 2% back but actually 3% back if you used it on travel/hotels... ya not HUGE, but that beats the other guys by 1% :P

For every $500 gift card you would earn $15.15 worth in travel spending on the CSR. Your total fees would be $6.15 so it nets you $9/gift card. Even if you just decided to do this once a week to try to stay off the radar as a heavy hitter, that's more then $450/year, or basically the fee of the CSR. Or a nice weekend getaway hotel cost.

I'm not a big Amazon spender, maybe $1,000 a year or less... usually I just buy small stuff that's ~$50 and then maybe one or two decent ticket items of $200 or so a year. So it's not really worth another hard credit pull and yet another card to manage... BUT, if I can transfer over to CSR... then it becomes worth while!

These points are just cashback they are not UR points. You cannot transfer them. 2% at drugstores is OK. There are credit cards that gives 2% on everything.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
These points are just cashback they are not UR points. You cannot transfer them. 2% at drugstores is OK. There are credit cards that gives 2% on everything.
Right, but those other cards that give 2% on everything can't transfer to the CSR to gain that extra 50% in value when you redeem the points. 2% still would be a profit, but unless you hit it really hard and buy gift cards like every day, your profit is only like ~$200 or something for the whole year (and that's still with weekly visits). Personally not worth it for another hard pull and card to manage for me.... now if I could get to ~$500 or so, a value that might be two nights at a decent Marriott or SPG property (thinking like the W Seattle on a somewhat slow weekend) then that's a little weekend getaway for free with just once a week visit to a drug store to buy a gift card and then drop by the post office to get a money order. I don't want to suddenly show up on the radar as 5 times a week right after work each time for a couple bucks under $500 and I don't want to be that guy that buys two but swipes four cards. I want to look as normal as possible and just trying to pay my bills while not trusting the banks to hold my money or some crap :P
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:59 pm

Anyone else still not receive the new card yet. Both my brother and father who each have there own account got the new card weeks ago.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mirskyc
Anyone else still not receive the new card yet. Both my brother and father who each have there own account got the new card weeks ago.
I was automatically upgraded from the regular Chase Amazon card to Amazon Prime several months ago and get 5% back on my Amazon purchases, but never received a new card. I didn't care, since I don't carry the card and never use it for anything except on Amazon.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

I didn't receive a new card either.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mirskyc
I didn't get the new card either. I went online and requested a replacement and received the metal card. Weird thing is that they kept the same expiration date which is a couple of months out instead of just extending it
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:03 am

I recently signed up - the physical card has not actually arrived yet happy to share if it's metal or not

One thing that looks interesting is you can also ask for statement credit.

Also in some cities you can buy transit passes in drug stores, something to note.

Anyways, for someone like me who does not travel often enough to justify a CSP or United Explorer this seems like a nice card.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:00 am

Transit card from Whole Food (Amazon)

Originally Posted by Castoreum
Also in some cities you can buy transit passes in drug stores, something to note.
In CA Bay Area in Whole Food stores you can get then add value to your Clipper transit card. 5% back, instead of the drug store 2%.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll check in my area.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:56 am

If you can get your pass using tax free commuter benefits at work, thats still the best option due to a reduction in your effective tax rate.

Otherwise that seems like a good deal, 5% back for little effort (as someone who lives in NY where whole foods may not offer this option)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:29 am

it arrived, it's kind of odd - seems like metal outside but core is still plastic, not entirely metal?

and restrictonthehanger you are prob right in a majority of cases

but I walk to work so I just keep a small bit on my card for errands, refilling at a drugstore is probably optimal for irregular fill ups. (Going to see if whole foods also sells them)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Castoreum
it arrived, it's kind of odd - seems like metal outside but core is still plastic, not entirely metal?

and restrictonthehanger you are prob right in a majority of cases

but I walk to work so I just keep a small bit on my card for errands, refilling at a drugstore is probably optimal for irregular fill ups. (Going to see if whole foods also sells them)
Does it have the contactless logo on it? The new contactless 'metal cards' are really just thin strips of metal with a lot of plastic. I suppose those NFC signals have to go through somehow.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by caliform
Does it have the contactless logo on it? The new contactless 'metal cards' are really just thin strips of metal with a lot of plastic. I suppose those NFC signals have to go through somehow.
All I see on back is "Chase", "amazon" and a hologram of a bird. On the front, top right says prime, top left says Visa. There is an EMV chip above my name on the front.

I guess they decided to bring the "Amazon Basics" aesthetic to the credit card

I used to have a Chase Saphire, and it felt much more sturdy.
caliform likes this.

Last edited by Castoreum; Jun 30, 2019 at 9:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.