Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by mia
No connection to Ultimate Rewards. The current card awards 5% in the form of points redeemable at amazon.com. There are (or were, haven't kept up) some other redemption options. Years ago the points could be converted to BA miles, but that ended (with no notice).
They started pushing users to redeem points for Amazon purchases several years ago, but it is and always has been available as straight cash back via statement credit ($20 minimum) or checking account (no idea the rules here, because why bother?).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:48 am

Approved and not subject to 5/24

I applied and was approved. I am >> 5/24
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:03 am

It really is too bad it's not connected to UR like Freedom & Freedom Unlimited. Too bad the 2% back doesn't include groceries
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
The Amazon merchant STORE card (not this card) at 5% cash back as statement credit is a wonderful card, not just for the 5% immediate statement credit, BUT FOR THE GREAT ITEM LEVEL LISTING ON THE SyncBank ONLINE AND MONTHLY STATEMENTS. SyncBank shows each ITEM purchased as a charge so it is very easy to track and reconcile. This card should be given an AWARD for listing each item and amount purchased as an individual charge.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:28 am

I wonder if Express Script counts as drugstore...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
My account was converted to a 5% Prime account when my last statement closed on the 9th. I had over $100 in rewards when the account converted. When I logged into the Chase online account, my rewards balance was no longer visible. There were no options to redeem the rewards on the Chase site, either.

But when I logged onto my Amazon account, the cash balance was visible, and there was an option redeem the award as a credit at Amazon.com. I prefer not to use the points towards an Amazon.com purchase. In my mind, if I use a $100 credit on Amazon.com, then I don't get the 5% cash back on that purchase. That would add up over time.

So I called Chase. Over the phone, they processed a request to credit my checking account for the full balance. I just got the e-mail conformation from Chase regarding the points redemption from the Amazon card.

Even if I have to call periodically to get them to issue the transfer to my checking account, I hope that Chase keeps that as an option.

Thanks.

Last edited by jeanie; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Saw this in the fine print:

How you can use your points: You can use your points to redeem for eligible purchases at Amazon.com. You can also use your points to redeem for cash, starting at 2,000 points, through an account statement credit or electronic deposit into an eligible checking or savings account held by a financial institution located in the United States. Other redemption options include travel, gift cards, and products or services made available through the program or directly from third party merchants.
Any idea what the travel / gift cards referenced here are? I don't / have never had an Amazon card so am not familiar with their points program in any way (so if there is an obvious answer my apologies).

FYI, T&Cs quoted above also indicate that once you are at 2000 points (aka $20 of rebate aka $400 of Amazon spend since 1% = 100 points) you can cash out the rebate to your bank or as an account statement credit.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Duke787
FYI, T&Cs quoted above also indicate that once you are at 2000 points (aka $20 of rebate aka $400 of Amazon spend since 1% = 100 points) you can cash out the rebate to your bank or as an account statement credit.

The phone agent I spoke with specifically said that the account statement credit was no longer an option. However, they transferred me around because not all of the agents could view the awards balance in my Amazon account. All of the agents I spoke with sounded like they were in India.

Hopefully, the fact that multiple agents and I couldn't see the rewards balance is just the result of a glitch of some sort that will be fixed soon. It is encouraging that the fine print says other types of award redemption are still available other than just the Amazon credit.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeanie
The phone agent I spoke with specifically said that the account statement credit was no longer an option. However, they transferred me around because not all of the agents could view the awards balance in my Amazon account. All of the agents I spoke with sounded like they were in India.

Hopefully, the fact that multiple agents and I couldn't see the rewards balance is just the result of a glitch of some sort that will be fixed soon. It is encouraging that the fine print says other types of award redemption are still available other than just the Amazon credit.
Hmmm seems like uninformed agents - I just double checked the T&Cs again on the offer and they are same as I posted above and include this bit that is relevant:

You can also use your points to redeem for cash, starting at 2,000 points, through an account statement credit or electronic deposit into an eligible checking or savings account held by a financial institution located in the United States.
Hopefully they'll sort it out - seems odd they would include the above in T&Cs if they intended to remove statement credit redemptions.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:44 pm

This is good ...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
My account was converted to a 5% Prime account when my last statement closed on the 9th. I had over $100 in rewards when the account converted. When I logged into the Chase online account, my rewards balance was no longer visible. There were no options to redeem the rewards on the Chase site, either.
I just logged in to the site, and after clicking to "See balance" for my rewards points, and then "Redeem Rewards", one of the options on the rewards sub-site is a statement credit (alongside an ACH deposit). It's been a while since I used this card enough to redeem rewards on it so I didn't go through the whole process, but I think that's the way it's always been.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by meraki
It really is too bad it's not connected to UR like Freedom & Freedom Unlimited. Too bad the 2% back doesn't include groceries
Amazon wouldn't want it to include groceries because they want you to "grocery shop" with them. Hence why the 2% categories are things that don't really threaten Amazon: dining, gas, drugstores. Even office supply stores, which had been a 2% category for a long time (little advertised), are going down to 1% after May 31.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kdm31091
...they want you to "grocery shop" with them. ...
The categories predate Amazon's entry into the grocery delivery business. They also sell many things that are otherwise purchased at drugstores. (I think the office supply category was inherited from the discontinued business version of the original card. Anyone still have one of those?)

This looks like a typical Chase me too refresh to match Synchrony Bank's offer, plus generally updating the card to include fashionable features. Chase wants the card to be just attractive enough to earn a place in some wallets, but not to be heavily used for bonus category spending because they probably cannot buy Amazon "points" at a discount as they can airline and hotel rewards.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Several
I had no idea you could redeem your Amazon points for an ACH deposit! I was happy with the 3% at Amazon alone as I do a lot of shopping with them. My account shows 5% back now which made me even more happy, and now I've found this thread! I really hope this option doesn't go away.

My Citi 2% back card and this Amazon card have been my go to for everyday purchases (I use the Amazon card A LOT due to where I live I.E. nearest Walmart and even McDonalds are an hour away). With my first child on the way, cash back has become far more lucrative compared to airline or hotel points.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
The Amazon merchant STORE card (not this card) at 5% cash back as statement credit is a wonderful card, not just for the 5% immediate statement credit, BUT FOR THE GREAT ITEM LEVEL LISTING ON THE SyncBank ONLINE AND MONTHLY STATEMENTS. SyncBank shows each ITEM purchased as a charge so it is very easy to track and reconcile. This card should be given an AWARD for listing each item and amount purchased as an individual charge.
The downside to this card is that transactions are not available for download to Quicken until the close of a statement cycle plus it can't be used used outside of Amazon. Would not be surprised to see this card go away in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.