Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
This is a dumb question but do the new quarterly categories start at 12 midnight on the 1st of each quarter or is their some type of reconciliation where it starts at like 2am?
I don't think we've ever had a report on this, but I suspect it's simply a matter of what time the charge is put through. If it's still June 30 in Chase's benchmark time zone (I'm guessing that's ET), you get Q2 treatment; if Chase's home zone has rolled into July 1, you get Q3 even if it's before midnight where you are.

Naturally, I am prepared to be proven utterly wrong on this WAG.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... categories start at 12 midnight on the 1st of each quarter or is their some type of reconciliation where it starts at like 2am?
Some discussion here, though focused on end rather than beginning:

Chase Freedom Transaction Date Error Loses Category Bonus
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Some discussion here, though focused on end rather than beginning:

Chase Freedom Transaction Date Error Loses Category Bonus
Good Stuff. Seems like Midnight Eastern on the 1st is absolutely going on the following quarter. You'd want to be at least 3-4 hours before midnight eastern to capture the current quarter on the last day of the month.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Stuff. Seems like Midnight Eastern on the 1st is absolutely going on the following quarter. You'd want to be at least 3-4 hours before midnight eastern to capture the current quarter on the last day of the month.
Worry more about some merchants posting evening transactions dated the following morning. I've had that issue with several restaurants in the Rewards Network dining programs that gave miles on Thu but not Fri, and when I dined Thu paying around 9:30 pm, even though the restaurant was open to 11 or midnight, they didn't run the bill until the next morning, meaning I couldn't get miles unless I sent a copy of my receipt showing I actually dined on Thu.

The actual exact cutoff time is only going to matter for stuff where you know for sure exactly what minute it's billed. (Restaurants where you can write in the tip on the credit card receipt you can never be that sure! Online stores shipping something to you will bill when it ships usually, not bill when you order it. Etc, etc.)

Meanwhile, are we sure there's one cutoff time? Doesn't it simply go by the date that it's billed? If it's billed 6/30, it'll count as Apr-Jun. If it's billed 7/1, it'll count as Jul-Sep. It wouldn't think it matters what time it's billed, just what date it's billed.

By the way, you might be able to use the above restaurant issue to your advantage, if you know of such a restaurant and eat there 6/30 in the evening, "counting on" them not processing your signed receipt until 7/1 morning, given that the category is transitioning to, not from, restaurants on the 6/30-7/1 date change.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:54 am

Thanks, grocery stores I take it are concurrent with when you check out
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
If you do a transaction today, it's pretty reasonable to believe that it'll count for 2Q. You at least will have a good argument with Chase if you have a dated receipt.

I think that the correct response to the question, however, is don't cut it so close that you have to find out what the cut-off is.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Platinum
I'll have no issue burning through $1500 for restaurants. I'm having my spouse down his Chase Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom so we can have 2 Freedoms, 2 CSR's and one Chase Freedom Ultimate.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:49 am

Question. As Bed Bath Beyond has been a 5% category at times, does anyone have experience with using a BBBy store GC to purchase the array of other GC's that BBBy carries? Essentially, do they let you use GC's to purchase GC's?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:03 pm

Question. As Bed Bath Beyond has been a 5% category at times, does anyone have experience with using a BBBy store GC to purchase the array of other GC's that BBBy carries? Essentially, do they let you use GC's to purchase GC's?
Per here:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...GiftCardPolicy

Gift card is for merchandise only.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Any speculations based on previous years at to what the Q4 "Holidays" category will be? Airline tickets, cruises, hotels/resorts?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Mistletoe????
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
Any speculations based on previous years at to what the Q4 "Holidays" category will be? Airline tickets, cruises, hotels/resorts?
Has been Amazon (coinciding w/holiday spending) in some past years; I'm sure Chase is looking for a piece of the action, so it depends on whether Amazon plays ball.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Has been Amazon (coinciding w/holiday spending) in some past years; I'm sure Chase is looking for a piece of the action, so it depends on whether Amazon plays ball.
Interesting. I have an Amazon Prime card that gives me 5 Amazon points per dollar spend, this would give me UR points.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Originally Posted by physioprof
Interesting. I have an Amazon Prime card that gives me 5 Amazon points per dollar spend, this would give me UR points.
It would be extra cool if they could repeat 2015:
Last year we were too worried about this:
to miss it.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It would be extra cool if they could repeat 2015:
Last year we were too worried about this:
to miss it.
10% on Amazon would be awesome!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.