Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Am I misremembering, or is June 15 unusually late for Chase to announce the Q3 bonus category/ies? (IIRC, they've typically done it at least a month in advance in the past.)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Am I misremembering, or is June 15 unusually late for Chase to announce the Q3 bonus category/ies? (IIRC, they've typically done it at least a month in advance in the past.)
Did they give only murky descriptions (in this case "summer fun and more") ahead of time half a year in advance before? Ie, the problem is not when in June, IMHO, the problem is that at the start of the year only the first two quarters were clear and the last two quarters are extremely muddy (see post 1 of this thread).

Registration has always started June 15. IIRC, at least some of the categories were announced for Q3 at the start of the year before, but not this year.

The Q4 2016 categories were certainly not announced till September 14 (the start date of this thread):

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:39 am

Q3 should include restaurants/dining and perhaps one or two specific merchants or merchant types; i.e. rental cars, amusement parks.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Uh seriously when does Chase plan on releasing the calendar for the last two quarters? I mean registration for "Summer Fun" begins in just four days and they still haven't even announced WTH it is yet! Really, what kind of business is that?! SMH
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:16 am

Probably wishful thinking, but hopefully it means they're going to roll out that 5% category for monthly recurring bills.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Uh seriously when does Chase plan on releasing the calendar for the last two quarters? I mean registration for "Summer Fun" begins in just four days and they still haven't even announced WTH it is yet! Really, what kind of business is that?! SMH
They're probably trying to find a category of business which one cannot buy gift cards in...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by aoumd
They're probably trying to find a category of business which one cannot buy gift cards in...
yes, that's what my suspicion was as well. i maxed out q2 in 2 months (though probably could've done it in a few minutes with pharmacies on every city block).

i hope q3 summer fun includes dining out. do they switch things up every year? this is my first year with the freedom.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe "summer fuN" means that you only 5x points for any purchase for which you write an essay explaining how it led to "summer fun"?

C'mon, the time to complain about them not announcing the Summer categories (if they still haven't by then) will be June 15, not June 11. Why should they announce and open registration in two separate steps a week apart? I mean, if they didn't announce long ago, then they probably had no intention of announcing until it's time to register. So I understand complaining about them not announcing long ago, and I would understand complaining if they didn't announce on June 15, but I don't understand why the expectation that they should announce days ahead of registration if they didn't announce earlier?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe "summer fuN" means that you only 5x points for any purchase for which you write an essay explaining how it led to "summer fun"?

C'mon, the time to complain about them not announcing the Summer categories (if they still haven't by then) will be June 15, not June 11. Why should they announce and open registration in two separate steps a week apart? I mean, if they didn't announce long ago, then they probably had no intention of announcing until it's time to register. So I understand complaining about them not announcing long ago, and I would understand complaining if they didn't announce on June 15, but I don't understand why the expectation that they should announce days ahead of registration if they didn't announce earlier?
In that case I guess they might as well use the logic of why not just wait until the earning period starts on 7/1 to announce it?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aphoward13
In that case I guess they might as well use the logic of why not just wait until the earning period starts on 7/1 to announce it?
That would be the wrong timing for a bank that does not offer a Hilton Hotels card and never has.

Ie, it's Hilton who doesn't tend to announce a promo until sometimes the day it starts. Just about everyone else gives some advance warning. (Plus US Bank also perennially sends me a card telling me I can earn extra LAN-now-LATAM miles several days after the regular spring promo they always give me has started.)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Q3 Chase Freedom Bonus Categories are...

Restaurants & movie theaters.

Yawn.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Where do you see this?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this?
Under the Freedom UR tab calendar.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nwflyboy

Yawn.
Pretty worthless since it's only 2 more points than I'd get with the CSR and I might go to a movie theater once ever 5 years.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:09 am

Wait...isn't 5 better than 3?

Most useful category for us by far...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.