Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by joe318
I'm a little confused by all the negativity about Walmart. I was planning on buying gift cards (not Visa) and I thought everyone else was doing the same. Would this not work?
Does Walmart sell gift cards besides their own? I would love to get some Best Buy gift cards and I know Kohls used to sell them but not sure if that's the case.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here are the specific inclusions and exclusions from the FAQs

Department Stores
JCPenney®
Kohl's®
Macy's®
Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack
Sears®
Barney’s
Baskins®
Bealls
Beiter’s
Belk
Bergdorf Goodman
The Big Store
Bloomingdale's
Bon-Ton®, including
Bergner's®
Boston Store®
Carson's®
Elder-Beerman®
Herbergers®
PARISIAN
Younkers®
Boscov's
Burke's®
Cayman's®
Cee & Cee Department Store
Cook Brothers
Dillard's
Flemington Department Store
Getz's®
Gumps
Jeffery
Joe Brand
Loehmann’s
Lord & Taylor
Magic Mart
Neiman Marcus and NM Last Call
RH Renny
Saks Fifth Ave and Off 5th
Shopko
Von Maur®
Weaver’s Store

Merchants Not Classified as Department Stores:
Target
Kmart
Discount stores such as TJ Maxx
Electronics stores
General merchandise and Variety stores
Gift cards purchased at any locations other than the department stores on the inclusion list

Walmart Category Inclusions
Walmart Discount Stores
Walmart SuperCenters
Walmart Neighborhood Markets
www.walmart.com
Walmart branded gas stations operated by Walmart

Walmart Category Exclusions
Non-Walmart merchants operating within or on Walmart premises including merchants that sell fast food, beauty services, and gas stations that are not Walmart branded
Walmart affiliated merchants including Sam’s Club
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
This blows. Looks like zero Freedom spend for Q4 for me.
Ditto, although there is a Walmart gas station on my way to work so I guess there's that at least.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:57 pm

Walmart Gift Cards

For those of us who want to buy gift cards at Walmart, what are some of the more popular cards to purchase (that don't come at an additional cost to what the face value of the card is already)?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe318
I'm a little confused by all the negativity about Walmart. I was planning on buying gift cards (not Visa) and I thought everyone else was doing the same.
One of the problems with Walmart is that it's not everywhere. It's everywhere for much of small-town or suburban America, but nowhere for some people who live in big cities. Walmart avoids (and/or is not allowed into ) some big cities.

So for those of us without a Walmart nearby, this promo is for department stores only plus walmart.com if we choose to use it with shipping (instead of store pick-up), unless we happen to end up near a Walmart in our travel this quarter.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
One of the problems with Walmart is that it's not everywhere. It's everywhere for much of small-town or suburban America, but nowhere for some people who live in big cities. Walmart avoids (and/or is not allowed into ) some big cities.
Speaking of this, the Walmarts within the city limits here don't have full grocery stores (possibly due to city ordinances?), while the ones in the cities and towns next to me do.

Anyway, I'm also not sure how much use I'll get from this. Target for instance is much closer to me than Walmart is but it's not one of the included merchants. Maybe I'll get a Christmas gift or two from Macy's or something.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Gift cards from walmart?

Originally Posted by cameljockey
For those of us who want to buy gift cards at Walmart, what are some of the more popular cards to purchase (that don't come at an additional cost to what the face value of the card is already)?

I hate Walmart! But I will buy gift cards there. Which ones are the most liquid, popular?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
So if I'm calculating this correctly, using the Freedom to shop at Macy's through the UR shopping portal will get 11x points. You'll get 5x for the Q4 category plus 6x bonus points for using the portal to shop at Macy's.

I'll be testing that hypothesis on 1 October.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
So if I'm calculating this correctly, using the Freedom to shop at Macy's through the UR shopping portal will get 11x points. You'll get 5x for the Q4 category plus 6x bonus points for using the portal to shop at Macy's.

In the past this has worked exactly like this for me.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:30 am

According to the terms the rate on the shopping portal is encompassing of the cards rate and is supposed to be the total rewards benefit. However, it may play out differently to your advantage but no gaurentees.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Duplicate post,
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Jrc1896
In the past this has worked exactly like this for me.
Nice to know, thanks.

Originally Posted by slm9555
According to the terms the rate on the shopping portal is encompassing of the cards rate and is supposed to be the total rewards benefit. However, it may play out differently to your advantage but no gaurentees.
I just read the T&Cs at the Shop through Chase portal and found nothing that equates to what you've stated. Where does it state what you suggest?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
So if I'm calculating this correctly, using the Freedom to shop at Macy's through the UR shopping portal will get 11x points. You'll get 5x for the Q4 category plus 6x bonus points for using the portal to shop at Macy's. .
Correct, except that the shopping portal earning rate for any merchant is subject to change. There is no connection between these two offers. The Department Stores category bonus is offered by Chase. The shopping portal bonus is paid for by the merchant (Macys, in this example.)
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, except that the shopping portal earning rate for any merchant is subject to change. There is no connection between these two offers. The Department Stores category bonus is offered by Chase. The shopping portal bonus is paid for by the merchant (Macys, in this example.)
Concur.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume this only works for shopping at macys.com, not at Macy's brick&mortar stores, right? So to me that's not "at Macy's", but "at macys.com". (When people say "at Macy's" without qualifying, to me it should mean both/either online or in person.)

It depends what you're buying of course, but Macy's is a store that I use mostly for things I want to try on, to handle and test the feel of, and thus in person. Anything I can buy online at macys.com I tend to be able to buy at lots of other stores online. and it tend to buy it other places online (that give me free shipping, where I already have an account, etc). Or does Macy's now have a way to mark things online that you might want to buy, go into the store to try them out, and then still use the online payment to pay for them? (Since clothes, etc, don't have "model numbers", it would think it might be tricky to know if what you found in store was exactly what you can order online, though. That's much easier with things that have "model numbers".)

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.