Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve Oversea Charges Disappearing?

Chase Sapphire Reserve Oversea Charges Disappearing?

Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Post Chase Sapphire Reserve Oversea Charges Disappearing?

Any experienced their foreign /oversea charges disappearing from their account? I went to S. Korea and made several purchases over the last 10 days. I got instant text/email alert every time a charge is made so I know each charges went through properly. I just got back the other day and noticed one of the charges I made at the local theater in Korea is no longer pending nor display on my account.

Will the charge sudden show up later? All the other line items from all my other purchases are there, granted some are still pending. Since I got instant email alerts, I was able to go back and match up all the charges (including returns and hotel deposits that were eventually taken off from pending) except the movie theater ticket. I thought it was strange. It would seem unlikely that the theater would cancel my purchase after a few days (I did enjoy my movie after all).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:04 pm

Sometimes the pending charge drops off before the charge posts, especially with overseas charges. Give it a few days.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Sometimes the pending charge drops off before the charge posts, especially with overseas charges. Give it a few days.
Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:41 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Also, be aware that the exchange rate shown on the pending transaction is typically not the rate that will apply to the posted transaction.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:05 am

This is probably not the case for you, but sometime I forgot a new card's billing period may not be the same as all my other older cards (which I sync them). So a charge could have been filed into the last statement instead of current activities online.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
This exact situation happened to me with charges in South Africa... on pending for 3-4 days, disappeared, then 2 days later showed up posted.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:22 pm

This is currently happening to me...found it odd.

I ordered 2 laptops from dell...order is confirmed on their end, pending transactions showed up, then disappeared 2 days later...even returning my credit line. Order is still confirmed through Dell and will ship tomorrow.

I assume the charges will just pop up again one day soon. Just seemed odd.

Oh...and I was already credited my UR points because the statement closed.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Oh...and I was already credited my UR points because the statement closed.
Double check, because you shouldn't have UR points for transactions that aren't cleared.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
Double check, because you shouldn't have UR points for transactions that aren't cleared.
I know...which is part of the reason it seems so odd. I transferred them over to my CSP immediately, just in case.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Happens on all my charges. Goes pending at moment of purchase, appears that way for a day or two, then disappears before showing back up a day or two later once it posts.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I recently returned from a two week international trip. All of my charges posted as usual (first pending, then posted), except for two hotel charges. One was charged 9 business days ago and the other was 7 business days ago. This is pretty annoying, since I need to make sure I don't lose track of these expenses.

Anyone have this recently or know why this happens? My first reaction was that it was somehow related to the initial authorization charges by the hotel, but I had multiple other hotel stays during this trip that have already posted to my Sapphire Reserve (and for other stays, AMEX).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by troyb
I recently returned from a two week international trip. All of my charges posted as usual (first pending, then posted), except for two hotel charges. One was charged 9 business days ago and the other was 7 business days ago. This is pretty annoying, since I need to make sure I don't lose track of these expenses.

Anyone have this recently or know why this happens? My first reaction was that it was somehow related to the initial authorization charges by the hotel, but I had multiple other hotel stays during this trip that have already posted to my Sapphire Reserve (and for other stays, AMEX).

This is total speculation on my part but when it's happened to me it's usually on unusually large purchases or places that could conceivably have a higher chance of being fraudulent. My assumption is just that maybe Chase is taking a second look at it before posting the charge but again total speculation.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
2 - 9 days is not that long. I once had an auth drop off, only to be charge 3 months later.

Was an imprint transaction at a chain boutique.

The reason this happens is because the auth is only for a limited time; and the actual charge is a separate process that needs to be submitted through the chain. In fact merchants can choose not to do an auth if they so desire.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
This is why AMEX probably doesn't even show pending foreign transactions. Just to cut down on confusion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.