Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:53 pm

Does lowering the CL trick work for refunding the CSR AF?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Mod hat on-

We have a separate thread discussing the $300 annual credit so let's use it please. I just moved a few posts over there.

Mod hat off-
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:32 pm

I applied a couple of weeks ago and got the letter denying the application under 5/24 (I'm exactly 5/24). I called recon Monday morning and asked them to remove a card that I'm AU on. They asked me to move $10,000 from my CSP to the CSR and I was approved immediately.

The card (metal) arrived today in an envelope.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
I got the card today - I had applied 3 weeks ago and got the "review" status online so I assumed I was denied. I think I am close to 5/24.

I did not get any information about the 100K MR bonus in my materials - do they arrive separately?

Also, I plan to close down my Chase Sapphire card now - any experience with moving the annual fee paid there to the CSR card, or getting a pro-rated refund?

I had assume I would be denied so I booked a $9000 trip just a couple of days ago on the CS card. Called the airline (Cathay) and they said I would have to pay cancellation charges and rebook!! :-(
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just for my experience, was pre-approved and applied in-branch on 9/19, showed up online by the time I got home, was sent on 9/20, and metal card arrived via UPS next-day air - in regular envelope. On 9/20, I did call in asking how long it would take, and as part of that call, agent offered to, and then applied for the PP membership for me. Obviously no card yet, but I'm not in a huge rush as I don't have travel planned right now.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by nirajashah
I did not get any information about the 100K MR bonus in my materials - do they arrive separately?

Also, I plan to close down my Chase Sapphire card now - any experience with moving the annual fee paid there to the CSR card, or getting a pro-rated refund?
Chase does not mention the signup bonus in any materials. If you are paranoid about it, you can send them a message through the website asking for what offer you have and when you have to meet spend.

You should downgrade your Sapphire to the no-annual fee Sapphire or a Freedom instead, since your UR points are now worth more and you will keep the line open with Chase in case they release another good card you may want to change to. You'll get a prorated fee refund when you do this.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Chase does not mention the signup bonus in any materials. If you are paranoid about it, you can send them a message through the website asking for what offer you have and when you have to meet spend..
Thanks. Not paranoid, just wanted to check that others had the same experience

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
You should downgrade your Sapphire to the no-annual fee Sapphire or a Freedom instead, since your UR points are now worth more and you will keep the line open with Chase in case they release another good card you may want to change to. You'll get a prorated fee refund when you do this.
I have a Freedom (25 years now - it was my first CC and I keep it open for the sake of account longevity on my credit score). Didn't realize there was a no fee Sapphire as well!

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by nirajashah
I have a Freedom (25 years now - it was my first CC and I keep it open for the sake of account longevity on my credit score). Didn't realize there was a no fee Sapphire as well!

Thanks
You can have another Freedom, which may be useful if you max out the rotating categories. Some people don't know that, so figure I'd mention it too.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mia
Chase has bungled the Reserve rollout. They launched three new cards simultaneously (Reserve, JPM Reserve and refreshed Ritz Carlton). [...]

Is this offer a good deal for us? Absolutely, $450 fee with $600 rebate and 100,000 points ^. Is it a success for Chase? They won't know until renewal time in August 2017.
Chase closed an important gap in their card portfolio this year to be a serious contender to Amex who has ruled the high end of the business since decades. Amex is bound to react, but also doomed to loose marketshare, simply because they had no competition to their Plat and Centurion product line. (Which explains to relatively minimal effort they made to attract and hold Plat customers).

The current offering/bonus is far to good to make them any profits in the long run, but I doubt they will claw it back too fast. Its part of the marketing budget. I'm curious on how much it has cannibalized their CSP customer base. I was soo happy to get an offer for the CSP this year and got it. Then came the CSR, got that one too. I'm going to close the CSP come 2017, since the 150$/yr cost of the CSR will outclass the CSP.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the push!

Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. Why did you not ask Chase to not count the cards on which you're just an authorized user, and re-evaluate? Lots of people have been successful with that.

2. Chase and Amex may have different timelines.

3. Many banks only update a credit card to the credit report once a month, after the statement closes. So it could be that the AU removal will only show up then, I'm not sure.

Anyway, why wait to re-apply again? Why not recon again and this time ask if Chase can skip the AUs from the 5/24 count? (Chase may or may not see the fact that you removed yourself as an AU "instantly", depending on the whether the look in their internal systems or just on your credit report.)

Please see the wikipost atop this thread:
It says in there:
in some cases Chase may reconsider a denial if the applicant has <5 new cards excluding cards on which s/he is an authorized user. You may need to escalate to the next level of customer service agent, as many front-line agents seem to be unable or unwilling to remove the authorized user accounts from the count.
(This thread you're in is specific to the Reserve card. The thread I linked above is the one specific to applying for Chase cards in general. Your question about AUs is not specific to the Reserve, which is why it's answered in the wiki of the other thread rather than this thread.)
Called them back, a clerk said no, they would not reconsider. I requested a supervisor and was told the supervisor would call me back within 48 hours. She called me this morning, said she would be happy to do a judgmental review, and... Voila! I have been approved for the card. Yipee, and THANK YOU for the advise!!^^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm guessing it will be a success...the number of card holders that don't utilize $150 in benefits or carry a balance is >>>>> than the number of card holders that cancel before renewal time.
THIS! The best part for Chase is that so many noobs have signed up for it without even knowing why they need it.

Many of them did so because some random 'hole on a blog told them to do so and to "use my link for the best bonus!!!!" while the 'hole pockets $100-$300 per referral.

The Slick Deals thread on this card has provided me with some good entertainment in the evenings. One of my fav questions from there: "Do balance transfers count towards the $4,000?" ::facepalm:: I also read about people pondering how they would possibly spend $4k in 3 months (hint: if that's an issue, this isn't a card for you), or the ones who signed up for both a CSP & CSR, thus $8k spend in 3 months required to get the bonus. For a few of them, it sounded like the initial $450 might even put them in a bad financial position.

I'm willing to bet Priority Pass activations will remain under 50%, while out of those who do, only about 50% of those will use them, with the majority of those using the lounges visiting less than 4x/year.

Originally Posted by mia
Chase has bungled the Reserve rollout. They launched three new cards simultaneously (Reserve, JPM Reserve and refreshed Ritz Carlton). All three are made of non-standard materials, and now they don't have enough to fill the orders. (Underestimating demand sounds like a nice problem to have, but this is a serious error.) Chase also bundled Priority Pass with all three of these cards, Collinson cannot ship the membership cards timely, and Chase inexplicably opted out of the electronic version which would have made this much less important.
I completely disagree -- this was brilliant on Chase's part. People want what they can't have, or what they perceive they can't have. Case in point: Look at the people who wait in line for hours or days for a new cell phone. Or, the way people clear out a grocery store because a storm system is brewing. Newsflash: You can still buy that snazzy new iPhone tomorrow and the grocery stores will be open after the storm hits.

Likewise, Chase knew exactly what they were doing with the physical-card-only policy. This meant fewer people would use the lounges due to the perceived hassle of carrying another 5 grams in one's carry-on. Yes, there are people who won't use the lounges due to this, thus less expense for Chase to incurr.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Chase closed an important gap in their card portfolio this year to be a serious contender to Amex who has ruled the high end of the business since decades. Amex is bound to react, but also doomed to loose marketshare, simply because they had no competition to their Plat and Centurion product line. (Which explains to relatively minimal effort they made to attract and hold Plat customers).
Amex is relying upon its once-glorious reputation and depending upon old-school customers who are too lazy/unknowledgeable to research credit cards. My parents would fit into that group. My mother puts all of her spend on a Delta Amex, my father puts all of his spend on a Wells-Fargo credit card. I've tried to get them to look at alternatives, but that's been a no-go. Unfortunately for Amex, the market has caught up, and is exceeding them.

Sadly, you can count me as part of this group until the initial announcement of the Costco-Amex breakup. I used my Costco Amex for years as my primary card. With the breakup, I decided to see what was out there... and wow, did I miss out on some great deals, not to mention some serious point earning!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
THIS! The best part for Chase is that so many noobs have signed up for it without even knowing why they need it...

The Slick Deals thread on this card has provided me with some good entertainment in the evenings.
The SD crowd is a pretty wide demographic, and even though there are some knowledgeable posters on that thread it's obvious many signed up for CSR because the internet told them it was a good deal. The CSP thread got plenty of traction too, and I suspect that for those that got both cards, the average SD poster will cancel the CSR next year and keep CSP. Conversely, the average FT poster will likely do the opposite.
Amex is relying upon its once-glorious reputation and depending upon old-school customers who are too lazy/unknowledgeable to research credit cards...
For Amex, this is not good news. They were getting clobbered in charge volume before. That trend is likely to accelerate, and now they risk losing the semi-high end. (I'm guessing that the Centurion (black card) demographic probably doesn't worry too much about the value proposition.)

Last edited by Ratamacue; Sep 23, 2016 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:10 am

Should I bother applying for this card if I regularly churn the BoA Alaska airline card? I assume it will violate the 5/24 rule..
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:15 am

Don't waste the hard pull.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass

The Slick Deals thread on this card has provided me with some good entertainment in the evenings. One of my fav questions from there: "Do balance transfers count towards the $4,000?" ::facepalm:: I also read about people pondering how they would possibly spend $4k in 3 months (hint: if that's an issue, this isn't a card for you), or the ones who signed up for both a CSP & CSR, thus $8k spend in 3 months required to get the bonus. For a few of them, it sounded like the initial $450 might even put them in a bad financial position.
Yeah I got a laugh at of that too. You forgot to mention the ones who also seemed concerned about how to utilize their travel credit. Of course you didn't have to go to slick deals to read all that. I've read quite a bit about it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.