Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Reserve - best paired with Freedom or Freedom Unlimited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I just got the CSR. Do not have any other Chase card at present, but would like to sign up for one of the Freedom cards to maximize earning of points and then transfer to CSR for travel redemption.

Any opinions on which is best to get -- Freedom or Freedom Unlimited? (Yes, I'm aware I could get both, but only looking to add one at this point).

I'm the kind of person that has no problem remembering to activate the bonus categories and keeping track of those categories spending-wise, etc. So in that sense, Freedom seems good for me. But I guess what makes it a harder decision is knowing what the categories will be.

If they keep on having lots of quarters with bulk stores, it is a no brainer, because I spend a lot at Costco. Gas might be a good one too. Can one buy gift cards for gas to stock up for the year? Other categories might be harder for me.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
It really depends on your spending. If you plan to spend less than $48000 and can max out the quarterly bonus, the CF would provide more value, though that diminishes as you get closer to $48000.

If you have records of your typical spending, year-on-year, you should be able to estimate which would give you more overall benefit. I would run it as just CF, just CFU, and both. I was surprised at the improvement over my previous everyday card (Discover Escape) and having CSR really makes it worthwhile to max things out points-wise.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Both, IMO
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:48 pm

2 new chase card/30days (typically, there are exceptions)

if you already have a discover 5% (and dont need a 5% rotating card right now), then CFU

if you already have a 2% card (Citi doublecash) and dont have a 5% card, then CF

if you have a SO, get one each (to get under the 2/30 rule)

if you want to flip a coin, i vote for CFU (1.5x -> 50% bonus on UR portal via CSR card= 2.25x)

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 23, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Both, IMO
Yes, but don't want 3 hard pulls in a short period of time or attract attention. Hence, wanting to choose between Freedom and Freedom Unlimited at this time. Will definitely get all 3 in long run.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
get both so you have the ability to choose.

although I may not value the unlimited more than 2% cash back card (citi or fidelity)... when I get so many UR points, I just don't have enough travel to utilize them fully, or I won't travel unnecessarily. 2.25x UR then actually provides less true value than 2% cash.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage
If you want to flip a coin, i vote for CFU (1.5x -> 50% bonus on UR portal = 2.25x)
Note that the 50% bonus is only for those with a Sapphire Reserve, so you would have to have CFU and CSR to take advantage of this as described.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

2 new chase card/30days (typically, there are exceptions)

if you already have a discover 5% (and dont need a 5% rotating card right now), then CFU

if you already have a 2% card (Citi doublecash) and dont have a 5% card, then CF

if you have a SO, get one each (to get under the 2/30 rule)

if you want to flip a coin, i vote for CFU (1.5x -> 50% bonus on UR portal = 2.25x)
Great ideas, thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtree
Note that the 50% bonus is only for those with a Sapphire Reserve, so you would have to have CFU and CSR to take advantage of this as described.
I do have the CSR, so I think he was assuming that.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Freedom Unlimited is a good idea, but you only receive the benefit of the 1.5 points per dollar on general spending if you actually use it. This sounds obvious, but think about reasons that you might not use it. Are you disciplined? Will you consistently pull the correct blue VISA card out of your wallet? Are you typically working on a bonus for a new card from any issuer? If yes, you will probably put your general spending on that card rather than Freedom Unlimited.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Freedom Unlimited is a good idea, but you only receive the benefit of the 1.5 points per dollar on general spending if you actually use it. This sounds obvious, but think about reasons that you might not use it. Are you disciplined? Will you consistently pull the correct blue VISA card out of your wallet? Are you typically working on a bonus for a new card from any issuer? If yes, you will probably put your general spending on that card rather than Freedom Unlimited.
For all the reasons mentioned, in your post, and above, I'm leaning towards the Freedom.

Somewhat related question, is the Chase 30-day rule I read about elsewhere enforced? I.e. if I were to apply for Freedom today, I would have applied for the CSR in the last 30 days. Would that result in denial?

I don't have any 5/24 issues, excellent credit (800+) but just wondering if I should wait 30 days or not from CSR application date.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
For all the reasons mentioned, in your post, and above, I'm leaning towards the Freedom.

Somewhat related question, is the Chase 30-day rule I read about elsewhere enforced? I.e. if I were to apply for Freedom today, I would have applied for the CSR in the last 30 days. Would that result in denial?

I don't have any 5/24 issues, excellent credit (800+) but just wondering if I should wait 30 days or not from CSR application date.
i said 2 chase cards/30..... people have stacked 2 chase apps in a single day to make it only 1 single hard pull, so I don't see any issues with doing it right now

YMMV too (see below)
http://uponarriving.com/2016/03/27/t...lication-rule/

if you got minimum CL from CSR (10k), chase probably isn't ready to extend you more credit. if you got max credit (~34k-50k), go ahead, chase probably wants you. inbetween (10-34k), go flip a coin?

Originally Posted by roundtree
updated my post to clarify this... or maybe thinking that people shouldn't get CSR and cancel after 1 year...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

i said 2 chase cards/30..... people have stacked 2 chase apps in a single day to make it only 1 single hard pull, so I don't see any issues with doing it right now

YMMV too (see below)
http://uponarriving.com/2016/03/27/t...lication-rule/

if you got minimum CL from CSR (10k), chase probably isn't ready to extend you more credit. if you got max credit (~34k-50k), go ahead, chase probably wants you. inbetween (10-34k), go flip a coin?
Got CSR within the max range CL you mentioned so decided to go ahead. Instantly approved online for Freedom with another CL in the maximum range! Quite happy with that. I did not expect Chase to be that generous.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

updated my post to clarify this... or maybe thinking that people shouldn't get CSR and cancel after 1 year...
Oh definitely not planning to cancel after one year. Even during subsequent years without bonus it should be a lucrative card for me, especially combined with the Freedom! Don't know if you were referring to me, but just wanted to clarify my intentions.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:03 am

If only one, Freedom 5%.

$1500 per quarter @ 5x points = 30,000 points for $7500 spent.

Don't think you will spend $1500 per quarter of the special categories? Think again. Read up on the Chase Freedom Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 threads on FlyerTalk to see how others have done it. Hint: It's easier than you think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.