Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ask Chase to reduce credit limit after approval?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Chase to reduce credit limit after approval?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Interesting. I had Chase tell me to do the exact opposite. I typically always informed them when I was traveling and they emailed me telling me to stop telling them. I guess I travel enough that they didn't see much value in knowing my plans. I use my Chase card in foreign countries all the time, no problem. Interestingly, my brother had his Chase card declined when he tried to buy gasoline at a gas station in the California Central Valley, just 3-4 counties over. So their algorithms do take into account historical spending patterns when deciding whether or not to let a charge through.
Or possibly the constant emails prompted them to pop some sort of flag on your account.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:20 pm

Lowering my Credit Limit

I was approved for a chase freedom unlimited. The reason I will be calling them tomorrow to lower my credit limit from 15k to 2k is because I'm absolutely TERRIFIED I'll overspend.

I read all the comments, and I know I may not get the credit back but credit cards are demons and I'd rather not be stuck with debt I can't pay because I have 0 self control. 😑
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Wendy Owens
I was approved for a chase freedom unlimited. The reason I will be calling them tomorrow to lower my credit limit from 15k to 2k is because I'm absolutely TERRIFIED I'll overspend.

I read all the comments, and I know I may not get the credit back but credit cards are demons and I'd rather not be stuck with debt I can't pay because I have 0 self control. 😑
You can also do it by sending them a secure message.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

Maybe you shouldn't be playing this game then. Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Maybe you shouldn't be playing this game then. Welcome to FT.

yeahhhhh.....
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
You can also do it by sending them a secure message.
Thank you! That seems easier!! :-::-::-:
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Thank you! That seems easier!! :-::-::-:
It is and you don't have to tell them why. Just send a sm saying I want my CL reduced to 2k on this card.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:13 pm

Just giving my experience about lowering credit limits.

I have lots of CC's from chase I have Amazon Prime, CSR, 2x freedom, freedom unlimited, Ink Preffered, Hyatt, Old IHG, Marriott. My credit limit at that time was actually well above 50% my income. Heard Chase was going to expand 5/24 to other chase cards and wanted to apply for both of the new IHG cards. Decrease the limits on all my cards and was few k under 50% my income. Applied to both cards on same day. Both had 30 day message. Few days later, I was approved for the Premium Chase IHG card and still pending for the Traveler card. Chase called me and asked for more information and said I am denied for the traveler card because they can't offer me more credit. Then they hung up on me, I called back and asked to transfer few k from my CSR to the traveler and was approved.

I should have kept my credit limits and applied and ask them to take credit from my other cards instead of decreasing my limit.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:44 pm

I read all the comments, and I know I may not get the credit back but credit cards are demons and I'd rather not be stuck with debt I can't pay because I have 0 self control. ��

Do yourself a favor and pay cash, this game is not for you.
ginmqi and branman1986 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by tanlee07
Just giving my experience about lowering credit limits.

I have lots of CC's from chase I have Amazon Prime, CSR, 2x freedom, freedom unlimited, Ink Preffered, Hyatt, Old IHG, Marriott. My credit limit at that time was actually well above 50% my income. Heard Chase was going to expand 5/24 to other chase cards and wanted to apply for both of the new IHG cards. Decrease the limits on all my cards and was few k under 50% my income. Applied to both cards on same day. Both had 30 day message. Few days later, I was approved for the Premium Chase IHG card and still pending for the Traveler card. Chase called me and asked for more information and said I am denied for the traveler card because they can't offer me more credit. Then they hung up on me, I called back and asked to transfer few k from my CSR to the traveler and was approved.

I should have kept my credit limits and applied and ask them to take credit from my other cards instead of decreasing my limit.
You should have lowered your limits well BEFORE you applied for the new cards

I lower the limit to about the $2K range on every card I churn right after I make the spend. 90% plus instant approvals
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:42 am

I used to secure message them to decrease it everytime they increased it. But then I read that having a larger line actually helps your credit, because you have more liquidity. I say keep it unless you feel that you might splurge and go above what you're comfortable with
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I used to secure message them to decrease it everytime they increased it. But then I read that having a larger line actually helps your credit, because you have more liquidity. I say keep it unless you feel that you might splurge and go above what you're comfortable with
Up to point, that's true, but there's a point beyond which it's not true (credit limit related to income). If several banks increase your credit around the same (not realizing other banks are doing it at the same time), you may end up with so much credit line that they now don't want to offer you any more. So "everything in moderation": don't always decrease it, but don't always let it increase without limit either.

Also, specifically at Chase, they may assume you want no other cards when they increase your limits, and may increase them to the point where they have no more credit limit to give you for a new card (at which point you may have to try to get them to pull credit from an existing card in recon for a new card).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:23 pm

Interesting points/discussion.

In about 2 weeks I'll have 5 total chase cards and from what I've been reading on other forms (reddit) it seems that some people say chase has a "hard cap" on total CL available to someone and that this may affect future card approval availability. Someone said it's 50% of annual salary? (as a CL upper limit).

Between the 5 cards, I'll be right around 110k of CL, which fortunately is not at 50% of my annual income yet, but I am worried it may affect future card approval if Chase does have a rule on how much total CL a person is allowed.

I'm also looking to potentially reduce CL as well due to this reason, but not 100% sure. One thing that may help in my situation is 3 are business cards which may be treated differently than personal consumer cards
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Interesting points/discussion.Between the 5 cards, I'll be right around 110k of CL, which fortunately is not at 50% of my annual income yet, but I am worried it may affect future card approval if Chase does have a rule on how much total CL a person is allowed.
Assuming aggregate utilization isn't an issue for you, makes no difference what you do, except lowering aggregate CLs may lead to a higher chance for auto-approvals. Even with max exposure leading to review, just call them to shift CL allocation, and they'll always approve, assuming you're not running afoul of the 5/24 rule.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Assuming aggregate utilization isn't an issue for you, makes no difference what you do, except lowering aggregate CLs may lead to a higher chance for auto-approvals. Even with max exposure leading to review, just call them to shift CL allocation, and they'll always approve, assuming you're not running afoul of the 5/24 rule.
A data point on this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30832145-post2493.html

Looks like even the 50% of annual income is not truly a rule of thumb. Very dependent on multi factors.

I had to shift some CL around to get the IHG card approved as noted there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.