Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Priority Pass memberships (2016 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OverThereTooMuch
Basic Entry Information:
If you have never used a Priority Pass lounge click HERE to read how it works.

philemer's PP card arrived 20 days following approval of CSR. Others have reported an even quicker delivery. Yes, it comes via USPS.
Authorized User will receive their own PP card.

The PP Select membership offered through the CSR now includes digital pass access. Sign up in advance here: https://www.prioritypass.com/chasedmc
Note: Some lounges may not accept the digital pass. Make sure to check the PP lounge directory details for the specific lounge you plan on visiting.

To sign up for Priority Pass Select, as soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card can't be expedited. Some members have reported success in charging the lounge access to their CSR account and requesting a refund from Customer Service. However, others have reported that the lounge access was refunded via the travel credit.

Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass value: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rth-money.html

Here are some other links where you can discuss other bank perks, since PP does not have a definitive home in the FT forums:

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751

Non-Lounge Benefits (see post 853 for details)
  • US$28 towards restaurant bill (DEN, LGW, PDX, SYD)
  • Minute Suites (ATL, DFW, PHL)
  • Sleep ’N Fly Pods (DXB)
  • Bliss Spa/Aspire Lounge & Spa (LHR)
  • 30% at IHG Hotels by logging in through the Priority Pass membership portal
  • AVIS Preferred Plus
Print Wikipost

Chase Priority Pass memberships (2016 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hman414
Whatever...

I'm not impressed with PP or C SR or Amex Plat. If it wasn't for the 100,000 bonus points my wife and I each got ($2,000.00 in my families bank account) I would have never even considered signing up.

You will not have to worry about me using any PP clubs after next year because I will not be renewing our C SR's...
That tells me that you may not have researched the card well enough before applying to determine whether it's the best fit for your situation. For instance, Chase has promoted the fact that the points are worth a minimum of 1.5 cents each when used on their travel portal. (Of course, you can potentially get much higher value than 1.5 cents through point transfers.)

For me, PP is a nice feature but not 100% crucial. I've done without airline lounge visits for years before getting this card and can probably do without if I get rid of the card. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That tells me that you may not have researched the card well enough before applying to determine whether it's the best fit for your situation. For instance, Chase has promoted the fact that the points are worth a minimum of 1.5 cents each when used on their travel portal. (Of course, you can potentially get much higher value than 1.5 cents through point transfers.)

For me, PP is a nice feature but not 100% crucial. I've done without airline lounge visits for years before getting this card and can probably do without if I get rid of the card. YMMV.
I did research it, I did not read through all the fine print though. Like anything, the devil is in the details...

The sales pitches you see for these cards (especially the Amex Plat card adverts very prominently displayed at many USA airports) I think are a bit misleading.

What the cards portray (club access wise) versus what you actually get are very different in my opinion.

From what I can see with the Amex Plat club access for the Delta clubs you need to actually be flying on Delta to be able to use the Delta club.

I also got the United Club card (free for the first year) and love it. For my travel patterns it's a much better fit and I will probably renew next year.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean restricting the access hours for Priority Pass, or turning away Priority Pass during the published hours?

Priority Pass exists to allow lounges to monetize excess capacity. Priority Pass represents extra income for lounges operated by international airlines (at airports where they operate only a few flights per day), and for contract lounges that provide service for airlines which do not operate their own lounges. With the exception of the handful of lounges operated directly by Collinson, none of these rely on Priority Pass as their primary profit center.

It's certainly worth telling Chase that Priority Pass isn't as useful as you expected, -and- mentioning that for $450 the card should include access to UA lounges when flying UA, BA lounges when flying BA, etc, but Chase cannot change Priority Pass' policies which are built into their business model.
I never heard of Priority Pass until I signed up for Chase SR. Now understanding their business model, I can see why the number of clubs (especially in the USA) is somewhat limited.

$399.00 (+$27.00 per guest) for a year membership is pretty steep. I wonder how many non-credit card USA based members they have...

Membership through Chase SR is a steal compared to their standard rates ($450 - $300) $150/year, guests included.

If you frequent airports which actually allow you to use the clubs offered, it's a good deal. Unfortunately O'Hare is not one of those airports...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did research it, I did not read through all the fine print though. Like anything, the devil is in the details...

The sales pitches you see for these cards (especially the Amex Plat card adverts very prominently displayed at many USA airports) I think are a bit misleading.
So clearly you didn't do very deep research, especially as you said you've never heard of Priority Pass. Priority Pass has been a common benefit among premium credit cards for years, long before the CSR existed. ORD has always been a weak link. That's not new, or is it news to us.

Also, IME, I'm only bombarded by Amex Platinum advertisements in airports where they have a Centurion Lounge.

Since you won't be renewing your CSR, cool beans. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tmiw
That tells me that you may not have researched the card well enough before applying to determine whether it's the best fit for your situation.
Based on this thread and the post in the other thread it does seem like more due diligence up front would have benefited the OP, although if someone doesn't have the time or inclination to extract more value out of the points, $1k (per card) is still $1k.

Personally I hope to do better than $1k but could see how for someone else just a straight cashout might be more appealing.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Based on this thread and the post in the other thread it does seem like more due diligence up front would have benefited the OP, although if someone doesn't have the time or inclination to extract more value out of the points, $1k (per card) is still $1k.

Personally I hope to do better than $1k but could see how for someone else just a straight cashout might be more appealing.
I got 2 GE membership renewals with my new C SR's, so I'm up to $2,200...

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So clearly you didn't do very deep research, especially as you said you've never heard of Priority Pass. Priority Pass has been a common benefit among premium credit cards for years, long before the CSR existed. ORD has always been a weak link. That's not new, or is it news to us.

Also, IME, I'm only bombarded by Amex Platinum advertisements in airports where they have a Centurion Lounge.

Since you won't be renewing your CSR, cool beans. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
ORD and PHX, for example, do not have Centurion Lounges (from what I can see there are only 7 USA locations that do). Amex Plat adverts in many areas of both airports...

I'm glad to see other forum members (like yourself) see ORD as a PP weak link. What can be done to get that changed???

Last edited by mia; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:50 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:18 am

I got 2 GE membership renewals with my new C SR's, so I'm up to $2,200...
That would have been at the very least $3,200 if you used the points correctly. No matter what other benefits of the card you use, you left at least $1,000 on the table by taking the statement credit.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...see ORD as a PP weak link. What can be done to get that changed???
There are only two possibilities.

Priority Pass can enroll existing lounges that have surplus capacity. This is their core business model. AA, DL and UA all previously accepted Priority Pass at some locations. They no longer do, so let's rule those out. What other lounges are at ORD, but not in Terminal 5?

Priority Pass can build it's own lounge. The lounges named The Club at [airport name] are the only locations operated by Priority Pass itself (actually by a related company.)

One problem you will encounter dealing with Priority Pass is that they won't know who you are. Chase chose to arrange their version of Priority Pass through a third party, and the Sapphire Reserve memberships don't appear to exist at Priority Pass in the way that American Express and Citi sponsored memberships do.

Last edited by mia; Mar 28, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:17 am

$399.00 (+$27.00 per guest) for a year membership is pretty steep. I wonder how many non-credit card USA based members they have...
I've wondered that myself, but since I have PP I've seen so many people abroad with PP cards entering lounges, that I don't think they can all be US-based, let alone US-based with a premium credit card.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:54 am
mia

Moderator reminder

...booking through the C SR travel portal is not worth it at all, at least in this instance...
Correct, booking a chain hotel through any credit card rewards portal is generally not good value, but let's save that discussion for the other thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...l#post28093113
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There are only two possibilities.

Priority Pass can enroll existing lounges that have surplus capacity. This is their core business model. AA, DL and UA all previously accepted Priority Pass at some locations. They no longer do, so let's rule those out. What other lounges are at ORD, but not in Terminal 5?

Priority Pass can build it's own lounge. The lounges named The Club at [airport name] are the only locations operated by Priority Pass itself (actually by a related company.)

One problem you will encounter dealing with Priority Pass is that they won't know who you are. Chase chose to arrange their version of Priority Pass through a third party, and the Sapphire Reserve memberships don't appear to exist at Priority Pass in the way that American Express and Citi sponsored memberships do.
Ok, now I am really confused. You are saying the C SR PP membership is not really a PP membership?

Can you please explain more???
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
That would have been at the very least $3,200 if you used the points correctly. No matter what other benefits of the card you use, you left at least $1,000 on the table by taking the statement credit.
Actually the correct way to say it, if you could use the UR pts to buy travel - ONLY when that is feasible then you achieve that $3,200 value.

I have tried to book travel with UR pts and have found NONE of the flights I need, the UR site would offer that with the CORRECT Fare I needed.

So to me, the UR pts to book flight is totally WORTHLESS. Hence the 1.5 cent redemption value is just in theory but not at all in reality - not because I do not know how to correctly use it, but due to UR site has not had the capability to CORRECTLY display the fares needed. Period.

Good for those who could buy a flight with their UR pts that is the flight they want / need. Just as a reminder - be very diligent that the fares you are buying are NOT the Basic Economy fares offered by UA/AA, Else you will find out you would need to pay even the carry-on bag at the airport!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, now I am really confused. You are saying the C SR PP membership is not really a PP membership?

Can you please explain more???
It is a "Bulk" membership account between Chase and PP.

PP itself has NO CLUE who you are, even if you give PP your PP card number as PP only deals with Chase, not any PP cardholder who acquires the membership via their Credit Cards (not just Chase, but Citi and AMEX as well, as any other banks in other countries - Asia in particular.)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:28 pm
mia

... not really a PP membership?
Scroll back to September and read post 228. It's a valid membership, but the administration of the accounts has been contracted out. I believe there are other reports confirming that if you call Priority Pass they have no knowledge of your membership, and they refer you back to Chase. This is, apparently, a reason that the physical card is required for entrance - memberships provided by American Express and Citi can use the Virtual Card feature of the Priority Pass smartphone app.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:29 pm

I'm glad to see other forum members (like yourself) see ORD as a PP weak link. What can be done to get that changed???
Realistically, not a lot can be done.

Looking at the lounge options (https://www.loungebuddy.com/ORD):

Terminal 1 is entirely United clubs,
Terminal 2 is Delta & United,
Terminal 3 is American Airlines.
Terminal 5 has Swiss, Korean, AirFrance/KLM, BA, SAS, Alitalia, and Swissport (Contract lounge).

Out of all of the T1-T3, only Delta offers 3rd-party access (Amex Plat, and only for the cardholder and only if you hold a Delta ticket for the day). The US airlines sell memberships to their clubs. Thus, why would AA/DL/UA cannibalize their own membership and allow a 3rd-party to use their clubs?

I should note that rest of the world's airlines tend to allow lounge access for status/fare class only, no additional memberships. So, these lounges generally won't be as crowded as the US carriers' lounges since fewer people have access. This is where Priority Pass comes in -- selling unused capacity.

Keep in mind Priority Pass (Collinson Group) is a UK company, so I'm not entirely surprised to see a better showing abroad. That said, they did create a US company, Airline Lounge Development, which is responsible for "The Club at...", so they are aware of their shortcomings in the USA.

Unfortunately, most airport terminal buildings are never built as large as they should be. The focus when building airports is moving metal, not people. Sure, at some point people come into the equation, but by that point the terminal's footprint has already been decided. I've had this discussion with one of the US engineering/design firms which has designed and built numerous terminals in the US. Lounges take away from gate/retail space, both which is in high demand, especially at existing terminals. Take a look at ORD on Google Maps and look at the spaghetti-mess of jetbridges -- gate space is at a premium. Sure, you could build upwards, but that's going to take retail space and/or gates out of service for awhile, neither which is going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.