Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread continues discussion which started here in 2010: JP Morgan Palladium Card

Temporary COVID-19 rewards are documented here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...asehome_3/hero

JP Morgan Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0512_Web.pdf

JP Morgan Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/jpmreserve2

JP Morgan Reserve card features are found here
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/jpmreserve/travel

Print Wikipost

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by dlesin
GHA is gone for JPMR, only PD holders will continue to have it and it will be phased out after conversion.
Too bad. I closed my Pd card a month ago but still have GHA Black Status, so I guess it will expire at some point in the next year.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
It's a little absurd to say that the JPMR is "not even a good [let alone great] perks card," especially when compared to the AmEx Platinum card. Everyone is different, but I find the perks for the JPMR to be much more useful. $300 annual credit automatically applied against any travel spend vs. $200 annual credit against specific charges from a single airline you have to manually select. Primary CDW on car rentals vs. secondary coverage (unless you pay a fee). PP Select with free guest privileges vs. PP Select without guest privileges (unless you pay a fee). And JPMR insurance coverage seems to be superior to AmEx Platinum across the board. Plat doesn't even offer trip delay or baggage delay coverage.

The AmEx Centurion lounges are nice by domestic standards, but the footprint is obviously limited and the lounge locations tend to be out of the way in my experience. I'm sure some people out there enjoy getting to the airport a couple of hours early to eat some decent "free" food, but I generally try to spend as little time as possible in any domestic airport, no matter how nice the lounge is. Personally, I'd take the lounge access that comes with JPMR over AmEx Plat any day, since it is objectively superior when traveling internationally.

FHR and bottom/mid-tier Marriott/SPG/Hilton status is nice, but not very useful to people that already have top-tier hotel status (the target audience of "premium" credit card users).

I haven't found the AmEx concierge to be all that useful lately. The last time I tried to use the AmEx concierge, they kept me on hold for literally 30+ minutes, and they have little to no pull at high-end restaurants these days. I'm not saying the Visa Infinite concierge is necessarily better; I just find credit card concierge services in general to be of little value.

I'm hoping the rumors about additional benefits coming to the AmEx Plat card are true, otherwise I'm closing it down next month when my AF comes due.
I wouldn't consider the $300 travel credit a perk - it just effectively makes the card a $150 AF card, which is in line with the perks, or lack thereof, it offers.

Primary and trip insurance benefits are definitely nice, but almost the exact same benefits are available on Chase's $95 AF cards. Centurion lounges have free drinks including decent wine - if your home airport has one, it's an amazing value. I always get to the airport less than an hour before departure time and still manage to get a good amount of use out of them. FHR is great. I agree that credit card concierges in general aren't very helpful.

The mid-tier statuses are definitely nice, if only for priority check-in lines. I don't believe that the target audience has top-tier status - these boards skew highly toward consultants that need to travel a lot. And when you look at the target audience of the JPMR, they're typically well off enough that they don't need to travel for work as much, aside from some exceptions. The people on this board will definitely skew toward the exceptions.

It's fairly obvious why this all is - the JPMR is essentially a CSR, which has a $150 AF for all intents and purposes and offers 3x UR on travel and dining. It simply can't have great perks at that price point and spend bonus. The Amex Plat, on the other hand, has a $450 AF for a lot of people (very few people know about the MPX trick) with no spend bonuses, so it can have a lot of perks.

The JPMR / CSR are definitely the must have card, but the Amex Plat is a great complement when it comes to perks.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I am trying to read this thread and figure out, is there any reason why a current Pd card holder NEEDS to call and convert now, or can we just wait? A Wiki would be great.
  • Lower annual fee ($595 v. $450) which I heard will be pro-rated
  • Better rewards - if and only if - you don't plan to apply for CSR

Personally I don't plan to convert just yet as I like my Pd card and want to ensure that JPMR still includes UC.

Originally Posted by comptalk
I believe eventually you'll be switched automatically. However, the main benefit is the increased rewards. The rewards suck on the Palladium card. Couldn't justify the annual fee. Now, with the travel reimbursement, 3x for res. & travel, and lowered annual fee, you really cannot lose.
The smart move would be to apply for CSR to get the 100k signup bonus. You can then use CSR to get 3x points on dining and travel. Why forego the 100k bonus?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:30 pm

Does anyone know how the purchase protection claims are paid out? Son filed one for a pair of damaged Berluti sneakers and didn't know if it was going to be paid as a statement credit or via check....?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sfeater
I wouldn't consider the $300 travel credit a perk - it just effectively makes the card a $150 AF card, which is in line with the perks, or lack thereof, it offers.
I think most people would consider a $300 annual travel credit a perk, but I get your point. At the very least, the $300 travel credit on the JPMR is objectively better that the AmEx Platinum's $200, more restrictive airline fee credit.

I guess by perks you're referring specifically to elite status? Because that's the only thing that AmEx Plat really has over JPMR right now. Mid-tier hotel elite status is definitely a nice plus for certain people (e.g. infrequent, casual travelers), and that would make the AmEx Platinum a nice complement to JPMR for those users.

Primary and trip insurance benefits are definitely nice, but almost the exact same benefits are available on Chase's $95 AF cards.
Yes, very similar but incrementally better than the CSP, but more to the point, vastly superior to the AmEx Plat. The insurance/coverage "perks" of the AmEx Plat are sorely lacking. The beauty of the JPMR/CSR is that you can put all of your spending on it, earn some of the best rewards multipliers possible, and have the best insurance coverage possible. With AmEx Plat, both the rewards and insurance are mediocre.

Centurion lounges have free drinks including decent wine - if your home airport has one, it's an amazing value. I always get to the airport less than an hour before departure time and still manage to get a good amount of use out of them. FHR is great. I agree that credit card concierges in general aren't very helpful.
Yup, if you're one of the people that actually use Centurion lounges on a regular basis, it's a great benefit. In my case, the only Centurion lounge I actually use is at LAS a couple times a year; great place to pregame while waiting for your buddies to fly in.

The mid-tier statuses are definitely nice, if only for priority check-in lines. I don't believe that the target audience has top-tier status - these boards skew highly toward consultants that need to travel a lot. And when you look at the target audience of the JPMR, they're typically well off enough that they don't need to travel for work as much, aside from some exceptions. The people on this board will definitely skew toward the exceptions.
Definitely a value add for some people, although I suspect it is a very small subset of Plat users.

It's fairly obvious why this all is - the JPMR is essentially a CSR, which has a $150 AF for all intents and purposes and offers 3x UR on travel and dining. It simply can't have great perks at that price point and spend bonus. The Amex Plat, on the other hand, has a $450 AF for a lot of people (very few people know about the MPX trick) with no spend bonuses, so it can have a lot of perks.

The JPMR / CSR are definitely the must have card, but the Amex Plat is a great complement when it comes to perks.
They are definitely complements, but I wouldn't say the Plat has "a lot of perks." Compared to JPMR, Plat has mid-tier hotel status and access to Centurion lounges. Am I missing anything? (I'm trying to find a reason to hold onto my Plat card.)

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Personally I don't plan to convert just yet as I like my Pd card and want to ensure that JPMR still includes UC.
It's more or less confirmed the JPMR gets UC. Several DPs of brand new JPMR users (who never had JPMPd) getting it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Plat has mid-tier hotel status and access to Centurion lounges. Am I missing anything?
  • Dynamic Currency Conversion prohibited
  • Contactless payment (This greatly reduces the hassle of using a Chip & Signature card for small purchases in a Chip & PIN country.)
  • Delta Skyclub admission when flying DL (I live in an AA hub, but still use this several times each year)
  • Airspace Lounge admission (yes, there are only three, but there are no Priority Pass lounges at CLE, JFK-5, SAN)
  • In addition to the domestic Centurion lounges there are various international American Express lounges.
  • Boingo WiFi (Some have a poor experience with the Boingo smartphone "app", and think the service is poor, but there is generally no need to use the app, and the service is reliable with ample roaming arrangements)
  • Go Go In Flight broadband - Only with Business Platinum.
  • Shoprunner (Not much value for me, but others are enthusiastic.)
  • American Express Offers

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2016 at 8:42 am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive list mia, that helps solidify my decision to drop the AmEx Plat in it current form. With the exception of maybe AmEx Offers, nothing on that list is particularly useful to me.

We'll see if those rumored improvements to AmEx Plat actually happen.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive list mia, that helps solidify my decision to drop the AmEx Plat in it current form. With the exception of maybe AmEx Offers, nothing on that list is particularly useful to me.

We'll see if those rumored improvements to AmEx Plat actually happen.
Stick with your amex for the time being, what's coming down the pipeline should make people happy if it materializes in the form I was told.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
If you pair a free Freedom Signature with the JPMR, you basically get up to 11% value back on $6k spend/year.

Kinda like AmEx offers, but you can also get a free AmEx blue for those.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:55 pm

Does anyone know how the purchase protection claims are paid out? Son filed one for a pair of damaged Berluti sneakers and didn't know if it was going to be paid as a statement credit or via check....?
Check. Damaged shoes... that's brilliant. I'm curious if that's covered as it could be considered regular wear and tear. If it is I have a torn suit to claim as well...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
My friend mentioned that he got the Select to Sapphire Preferred conversion letter last week. Seems like FT member DrMilano got the conversion letter as well. You said you tried to convert your Select card to JPMR and got denied? Strange. I wonder if your card has some weird internal coding.

I didn't receive the conversion letter from Select to CSR from Chase, as I was proactive and requested a product change to the JPMR after reading the forums.

I have found that AmEx concierge is best when sending an e-mail as you don't have to wait on hold and they will get back to you within 8 hrs. Have used the concierge for bizarre requests such as where to watch NFL games when traveling overseas. It is the same concierge agents for both Platinum and Centurion cards as I was sent a confirmation recently thanking me for my Centurion status, but I'm Platinum. Could always flash the JPMR card at the restaurant manager and see if you could get a table that way. Have seen the Centurion flashed at packed clubs in SoBe before to skip the line and I have successfully flashed my AmEx Platinum at Armani Privè in the past.

I find that the international conversation rates are better with AmEx than JPMorgan cards as with ApplePay/installed respective bank apps I have real time conversion when shopping overseas. I plan on keeping both AmEx Platinum and JPMR.

It's a little absurd to say that the JPMR is "not even a good [let alone great] perks card," especially when compared to the AmEx Platinum card. Everyone is different, but I find the perks for the JPMR to be much more useful. $300 annual credit automatically applied against any travel spend vs. $200 annual credit against specific charges from a single airline you have to manually select. Primary CDW on car rentals vs. secondary coverage (unless you pay a fee). PP Select with free guest privileges vs. PP Select without guest privileges (unless you pay a fee). And JPMR insurance coverage seems to be superior to AmEx Platinum across the board. Plat doesn't even offer trip delay or baggage delay coverage.

The AmEx Centurion lounges are nice by domestic standards, but the footprint is obviously limited and the lounge locations tend to be out of the way in my experience. I'm sure some people out there enjoy getting to the airport a couple of hours early to eat some decent "free" food, but I generally try to spend as little time as possible in any domestic airport, no matter how nice the lounge is. Personally, I'd take the lounge access that comes with JPMR over AmEx Plat any day, since it is objectively superior when traveling internationally.

FHR and bottom/mid-tier Marriott/SPG/Hilton status is nice, but not very useful to people that already have top-tier hotel status (the target audience of "premium" credit card users).

I haven't found the AmEx concierge to be all that useful lately. The last time I tried to use the AmEx concierge, they kept me on hold for literally 30+ minutes, and they have little to no pull at high-end restaurants these days. I'm not saying the Visa Infinite concierge is necessarily better; I just find credit card concierge services in general to be of little value.

I'm hoping the rumors about additional benefits coming to the AmEx Plat card are true, otherwise I'm closing it down next month when my AF comes due.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by halfleafclover
Check. Damaged shoes... that's brilliant. I'm curious if that's covered as it could be considered regular wear and tear. If it is I have a torn suit to claim as well...
Wasn't regular wear and tear, an idiot in his dorm at school decided it would be funny to douse them in water since they "looked expensive" they had never left the box
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Wasn't regular wear and tear, an idiot in his dorm at school decided it would be funny to douse them in water since they "looked expensive" they had never left the box
I was going to say, water, so what. Then I looked up these shoes are… right on.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:18 am

I guess by perks you're referring specifically to elite status? Because that's the only thing that AmEx Plat really has over JPMR right now. Mid-tier hotel elite status is definitely a nice plus for certain people (e.g. infrequent, casual travelers), and that would make the AmEx Platinum a nice complement to JPMR for those users.
I travel a lot but not for work. Most people are similar - just not those on this board. The elite statuses are definitely worth the fee, even if you don't get upgraded (I usually do).

Yes, very similar but incrementally better than the CSP, but more to the point, vastly superior to the AmEx Plat. The insurance/coverage "perks" of the AmEx Plat are sorely lacking. The beauty of the JPMR/CSR is that you can put all of your spending on it, earn some of the best rewards multipliers possible, and have the best insurance coverage possible. With AmEx Plat, both the rewards and insurance are mediocre.
Amex coverage on purchased items has always been good and a lot easier to use than Chase's. Your second point, I completely agree with and it's what I've been saying - the JPMR / CSR are amazing spend cards. I almost never put any spend on my Amex Plat.

Definitely a value add for some people, although I suspect it is a very small subset of Plat users.
You honestly think all but a "very small subset" of Plat users already have hotel statuses? The users on this forum are an extremely skewed sample. Almost none of my friends that aren't management consultants have hotel status, and even those that are typically only have status with one brand. This is by far the best benefit of the Amex Plat.

They are definitely complements, but I wouldn't say the Plat has "a lot of perks." Compared to JPMR, Plat has mid-tier hotel status and access to Centurion lounges. Am I missing anything? (I'm trying to find a reason to hold onto my Plat card.)
There's really no card with more perks than the Amex Plat. There are, of course, cards with single perks that might be more useful to certain people. It sounds like you are one of the few exceptions who somehow doesn't find any of the Amex Plat's perks worth it, but ask yourself why so many people pay $450 for the card even though it has a 1x multiplier on everything.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:54 am

Why Wouldn't you just confront the little punk who did it, and hand him a bill for the replacements? Seems a little more justified then a claim, doesn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.