Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Chase Freedom 5% categories gone by end of 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
Post 15 has a link to a Doctor of Credit (blog) post from a source at Chase which indicates nothing is changing in 2017.

Post 54 has a link to a Reddit page where the 2017 Q1 and 2017 Q2 categories are listed.

But as of early December, there is not yet any official word from Chase.

In past years, the next year's quarters were not announced until mid-December, so it's not necessarily indicative of anything much that the 2017 quarters have not yet been officially announced as of early December.
Print Wikipost

Rumor: Chase Freedom 5% categories gone by end of 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:17 pm

2017 categories still not posted with ~6 weeks to go. Did they delay the announcement like this last year?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
2017 categories still not posted with ~6 weeks to go. Did they delay the announcement like this last year?
What do you mean by "delay? According to this short discussion:
the new calendar is always announced (every year) around 15 December. So since that's still weeks away, I don't see anything it not yet being announced as being a "delay".

The new calendar is simply on a different schedule than per-quarter clarifications/signups for a current calendar.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
the new calendar is always announced (every year) around 15 December.
Exactly the info I was looking for. TY.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Any idea/word if the month of December will get an additional bump up in percentage like last year's Amazon to 10%?

Ive been waiting in case Costco might.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:43 am

I never understood why the Freedom was not changed to what the Freedom Unlimited was to begin with. There isn't much "freedom" when you are bound to rotating categories each quarter. It won't be much of a loss for me though. Once they dropped movie theaters and now Amazon the only use I have for it is the gas category.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIPS64
I never understood why the Freedom was not changed to what the Freedom Unlimited was to begin with. There isn't much "freedom" when you are bound to rotating categories each quarter. It won't be much of a loss for me though. Once they dropped movie theaters and now Amazon the only use I have for it is the gas category.
Because everyone's different. I only use Freedom for the rotating categories, so I earn 5x on all my Freedom purchases. I would have no interest in a Freedom Unlimited, because i wouldn't know when to use it. (I have plenty of other cards to use "when there's no bonus anywhere else", and Freedom Unlimited wouldn't win there. It's only because of 5x that Freedom wins in certain categories in certain quarters.

I'd much rather be able to earn 5x on Freedom sometimes than never be able to earn more than 1.5x ever on anything.

Chase makes money because so many people don't limit their spending on Freedom to only where they get the bonus, and so for those people Chase has to hand out less bonus than on Freedom Unlimited. Chase makes more money when they hand out less bonus (if the card used just as much), so while for those of us who follow the categories it's better to use the card only there, for Chase it's better if people use the card everywhere and only get 5x here and there.

Meanwhile, if you like movie theaters, they might come back next year, we don't know yet. Amazon might even come back sometime. Just because they didn't come back this quarter, we have no idea yet what the bonuses will be in 2017's quarters. Just because a quarter bonus ended for this year does not indicate whether it will repeat again next year or not.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry

I'd much rather be able to earn 5x on Freedom sometimes than never be able to earn more than 1.5x ever on anything..

Me too!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
When I upgraded my Freedom Visa Platinum to Signature level, the letter referred to the product as "Freedom Ultimate". Also, the "Freedom" logo on Chase Online Banking changed to the Chase logo. These may be clues that they will be rebranding the product before year's end.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:52 am

Because everyone's different. I only use Freedom for the rotating categories, so I earn 5x on all my Freedom purchases. I would have no interest in a Freedom Unlimited, because i wouldn't know when to use it. (I have plenty of other cards to use "when there's no bonus anywhere else", and Freedom Unlimited wouldn't win there. It's only because of 5x that Freedom wins in certain categories in certain quarters.

I'd much rather be able to earn 5x on Freedom sometimes than never be able to earn more than 1.5x ever on anything.
Which cards do you use for non-bonus spend then that give you more value than 1.5 UR ( or perhaps 1.5 MR points )? Or are you always rotating cards for sign up bonuses?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Which cards do you use for non-bonus spend then that give you more value than 1.5 UR ( or perhaps 1.5 MR points )? Or are you always rotating cards for sign up bonuses?
The only card I could thinking of is the SPG Amex. Only because 1 SPG converts to 3 MR points. Too bad it will probably last another year and that would be it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Need
The only card I could thinking of is the SPG Amex. Only because 1 SPG converts to 3 MR points. Too bad it will probably last another year and that would be it.
The "MR" that 'maxp0wers' is referring to in this instance is Membership Rewards points, not Marriott Rewards.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
The "MR" that 'maxp0wers' is referring to in this instance is Membership Rewards points, not Marriott Rewards.
Yes I understand. But I do think 3 Marriott Points are more valuable than 1.5 UR or Membership Reward Points in traveling. Especially when used to buy Travel Packages (with Miles and Hotel Stays). I spent a lot on everyday spending so I am constantly looking for good points return on everyday spending.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
True...sorry for the confusion. Yes, referencing the 1.5 membership rewards points from the Amex EDP.

There's the usual suspects out there for non-bonus spend, but always good to stay informed.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium

Agreed-the 5% categories are the only reason we still hold 2 Freedom cards
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
If the 5% categories go, I go. I have plenty of cards to pick up the slack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.