Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Help me understand why I should value this card beyond what I have or in complement to. Also, wish the sign up bonus was a little more enticing.

I already have Ink and Sapphire for UR.

I have Arrival for 2% on any spend. Why would I put spend on a 1.5% when I can put it on a 2%? Show me why I might want 1.5% in UR instead of 2% Arrival. I currently do the most of my non-cat spend on the Arrival and then use those points for various travel needs especially for lodging not affiliated with a program (for instance villa rentals). I'm open minded so appreciate ideas on making the 1.5 card more valuable via points transfers. I mainly use AA for award flights and for hotel programs: Marriott, IHG, SPG and Hilton. Most of the time I find myself just cashing out UR even though that's just 1:1. Inspire me.
I think the difference is that UR points can be transferred to miles on freq flyer programs. On my last trip to Hawaii-Japan-South_Korea-Los Angeles, I transferred 360,000 UR points to United to get 3 round trip business class tickets. The same amount spent on the Arrival will get 480,000 miles so it will be $4800 to spend on the tickets. I don't think it will be near enough to get 3 business class tickets.

Since then United is increased the points needed.. so it is more like 480,000 to get 3 business class tickets. It will be like $6400 on Arrival. I still don't think it is enough to get 3 tickets... but maybe 2.. if on discount? I am getting really tired of searching on United and not finding any saver award. Maybe I should switch to arrival...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Will be one of the top cards (along with Fidelity Visa) to use at Costco. (In fact, could be the reason Chase is issuing the new card.) Why bother with the official Costco Visa (Citi), when this card will earn 50% more? (Of course, this assumes the FU card is Visa like the other Freedom card.)

Last edited by ohmark; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:50 pm

I hope they don't put a limit on the annual bonus. The name does have "Unlimited" on it..
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:45 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
If there are no major caveats to this it will definitely replace my Amex Everyday, which recently replaced my Freedom after having been booted from the 10+10 perks.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
If there are no major caveats to this it will definitely replace my Amex Everyday, which recently replaced my Freedom after having been booted from the 10+10 perks.
I think I would have to do the same with my Everyday Preferred....Doing quick math..,, having $50,000 spend with $4,000 being at a supermarket (3x), and $1,000 gas stations (2x)...and a 50% point bonus:

Everyday: = 88,500 MR points

Freedom UN: 50,000 UR points + $750

If you exchange for GC (which im not recommending but doing for comparison), that would be $885 vs $1,250

Throw in there is no AF.... and the fact I can call this my "FU" card all year long...

Last edited by elg26; Mar 1, 2016 at 3:05 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Even without the $750, I'd value 50K UR points about the same as 88K MR points.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:00 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by elg26
Freedom UN: 50,000 UR points + $750
Sorry, I don't follow this. If you were to spend $50,000 on Freedom Unlimited you would earn 75,000 UR points.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:21 pm

I think this card would have been much more valuable if it offered a flat 2% cashback or 2 UR points per dollar. I currently use the Cap One Spark Cash Business card and get 2% back on everything with no annual fee. I used to have the Citi Double Cash card, but I cancelled it since I can redeem the cash anytime with Cap One instead of waiting for the rewards to reach $25 as with Double Cash.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Sorry, I don't follow this. If you were to spend $50,000 on Freedom Unlimited you would earn 75,000 UR points.
Whoops ignore...I misread...thought you were getting both.. too good to be true...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

It's possible to have the Freedom and the FU?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
It's possible to have the Freedom and the FU?
Yes

I have 2 Freedoms now, both have PC options for CS & CSP, one has 2 versions of Slate and the other has Freedom Unlimited listed as an option now.

Freedom 1 options CS, CSP, Slate, Slate Exclusive

Freedom 2 options CS, CSP, Freedom Unlimited

Call and ask.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Two Freedoms? Did you apply for one when the MC card version was still offered?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Two Freedoms? Did you apply for one when the MC card version was still offered?

One was originally a MC, both predate Chase.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is NO but i'm gonna ask anyway:

is there any co-branded chase card that can be converted to freedom, slate, or sapphire?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is NO but i'm gonna ask anyway:

is there any co-branded chase card that can be converted to freedom, slate, or sapphire?
You're right about the answer. Can't be done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.