Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by VH Fan
I posted about this same card with the same message here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28535475-post862.html
Interesting, thanks. but they havent called me...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by junks2010
did you call the application status phone line before the Chase rep called you? If so, what message did you get on the auto phone application status?
Did not call or otherwise contact them before getting a call. Applied the evening of 7/4/17, got the call this morning, 7/8/17.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:21 pm

Did not call or otherwise contact them before getting a call. Applied the evening of 7/4/17, got the call this morning, 7/8/17.
Thanks. Hopefully we will hear from them on Monday.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Mr. SanDiego got a call from Chase to approve him for an app we just did. You folks might get a chuckle from this: When asked "Why do you need so many credit cards?" He answered "Because my wife said to...".
Face-palm!

The card arrived today, so I guess the truth works. Thanks, Chase! He's about 15/24, fwiw.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Calling is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I almost always call and most times are approved. I received the same message (30 days) for the IHG card. Called 10 mins later and was eventually approved (had to move credit around).

A flow chart was created from another forum for Chase cards: http://imgur.com/a/oXlPW
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
reminder on matching to new offers

Most of you probably know this but just a reminder that Chase will usually match you to a new offer if you applied for your current card w/in the last 90 days.

I got the IHG card with the 80K offer in mid-March. I wrote to them last Friday to see if they would match me to the new 100K offer (assumed they wouldn't) and they said "no". So they are pretty strict on the 90 days count.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by druryvanek26
Calling is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I almost always call and most times are approved. I received the same message (30 days) for the IHG card. Called 10 mins later and was eventually approved (had to move credit around).

A flow chart was created from another forum for Chase cards: http://imgur.com/a/oXlPW
Base on the flow chart, it does not look good for me. What should I tell them if the reason for denial is too many cards opened recently? I dont think the line "my husband told me..." would work here 😁. Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Husband applied for the card in May at 60k. I sent Chase a SM requesting the 80k match, which they agreed to after meeting the $2,000 spend.
"We reviewed your credit card account and found that the offer you requested was 80,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Our records show you haven't met the spending requirement. After you have met the required spend, please reply to this email to claim the offer. "

Would you reply to this SM asking to be matched to the 100k offer or send a separate SM requesting the 100k offer? Does anyone think it makes a difference?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:54 am

Base on the flow chart, it does not look good for me. What should I tell them if the reason for denial is too many cards opened recently? I dont think the line "my husband told me..." would work here 😁. Thanks.
I got the 7-10 days and was eventually approved. Have you applied for more than 2 Chase cards in 30 days? In my case they needed to pull some credit from another card (which wasn't yet visible to them).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by druryvanek26
I got the 7-10 days and was eventually approved. Have you applied for more than 2 Chase cards in 30 days? In my case they needed to pull some credit from another card (which wasn't yet visible to them).
No, my last chase card was about 28 days ago. The one before that was at the beginning of May.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:40 am

No, my last chase card was about 28 days ago. The one before that was at the beginning of May.
Update: denied for too many card open recently.
How many days should I wait to reapply? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jul 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Just applied for the IHG card got the dreaded 30 day pending message, is there no more number to call to get them to approve it faster?
I heard nothing from chase but the IHG just showed up in my account. Woo hoo!!!!

Now I want to ask them to match it to the 100k offer. Debating.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Now I want to ask them to match it to the 100k offer. Debating.
What's to debate? Just Do It. Or maybe I should say "Just Secure Message It!"
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
What's to debate? Just Do It. Or maybe I should say "Just Secure Message It!"
Because I'll have to spend $2000 to get the 100k vs $1000 to get 80k not sure if I can spend that extra $1000 easily.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:17 pm

Closed my account a week ago and account still shows up as Closed in my online chase portal. Should I wait until it disappears from my online account before re-applying? It's been 2 years since receiving the bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.