Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:56 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I've had my IHG card for 2 yrs now and thinking of applying for it again. I've paid AF after the first year, but have yet to bet billed for AF for the second year. Free night had already showed up in my IHG account.

Here's my plan:
1. Cancel my current IHG card before AF is billed. I believe the free night will stay in the account.
2. Apply for a new card in a couple of weeks with an 80k bonus.

Are there any potential problems with the plan?
There's two key points you need to consider and plan for this chur:
  1. First, be sure to know the date you EARNED your last IHG CC bonus, not the date you opened the account. Your new bonus posting date MUST BE 24+ months to be eligible.
  2. Second, ensure that you have not opened more than 5 CC accounts in the past 24-months or Chase will most likely deny your application per their 5/24 rules.

I'm in the same boat, coming up on 2-years but need a few more month to get under 5/24.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Tony300S
There's two key points you need to consider and plan for this chur:
  1. First, be sure to know the date you EARNED your last IHG CC bonus, not the date you opened the account. Your new bonus posting date MUST BE 24+ months to be eligible.
  2. Second, ensure that you have not opened more than 5 CC accounts in the past 24-months or Chase will most likely deny your application per their 5/24 rules.

I'm in the same boat, coming up on 2-years but need a few more month to get under 5/24.

Good points Tony, thank you. I'll check chase statement history to see when the bonus was posted. For your second point, I thought the IHG card is excluded from 5/24, otherwise they'll definitely not approve me. Anyone got data points on this?

Edit: My bonus posted 9/8/2015, will wait a few more days before closing and re-applying.
Tony300S likes this.

Last edited by DiMAn0684; Sep 5, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Good points Tony, thank you. I'll check chase statement history to see when the bonus was posted. For your second point, I thought the IHG card is excluded from 5/24, otherwise they'll definitely not approve me. Anyone got data points on this?
No, I think you're right on the 2nd point... I got it confused with the Chase Freedom and MP Explorer both of which I'm working on.

Recent 5/24 listing here:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...es_This_Affect
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:07 am

I thought the IHG card is excluded from 5/24 [...]. Anyone got data points on this?
It's excluded. For a compilation of data points, see the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...17-onward.html
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:21 am

co-branded cards use the same recon line?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Is the 100k offer gone?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Is the 100k offer gone?
I got the 80k and requested a 100k match through secure message and they said no....
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

paper offer

My husband got a paper offer in the mail with expiration date of Aug 31.

We were out of the country until Sept 16. I notice now logging into his account the 100K offer no longer showing up like in first week of August right before our trip. We were hoping to get him a CSP first so did not want to waste the slot on IHG which is not subj to 5/24. Alas Chase changes its policy so that plan no longer works. Meanwhile the 100K offer does not show up on IHG site any more.

But, when I used the URL to the website of the 100K offer, and it showed up. More over, when click Apply Now, the offer did not redirect to the 80K but instead populated his personal data. However if I used the previously bookmarked link from this page directly, it would tell me offer no longer available and then redirect to the 80K offer.

This makes me wonder going thru the initial invitation site for the 100K offer may still work. DoC article said phone in application can still get 100K but online it is no more.

Is there anyone who got a paper invitation did the application after Aug 31?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by sigma6
I got the 80k and requested a 100k match through secure message and they said no....
I called IHG, they routed to Chase and the chase rep gabe me the same 100k for $2k spends offer.

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Is the 100k offer gone?
Just got the same during the weekend, so guess its still there.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 100K + 5K offer is still available for those targeted.

When logging into my husband's account I notice under My Messages on the front page where all the details are listed, there is one tiny print as below:

My Messages

Earn 100,000 Points. Plus, an Anniversary Free Night.Learn More Link will open in new browser window..

Current Points: 123,456 + Bonus Points: 100,000 = 223,456 Points

Clicked the link and a prefilled app page showed up in new window. Finished the process, hit submit. Took a bit long for the spin wheel to finish, returned an instant approval with 13K CL.

Or you can go thru the phone rep to apply. DoC has a write up on how to do it for those interested.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:14 pm

IHG card

guys - if I get approved for the IHG card tomorrow and expedite it and immediately spend the $1000 required for 80k points, is it likely I'll get them in my IHG account for a stay in Oct 25

Thx
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - if I get approved for the IHG card tomorrow and expedite it and immediately spend the $1000 required for 80k points, is it likely I'll get them in my IHG account for a stay in Oct 25

Thx
YMMV, but it's possible. Spending needs to be met roughly 10 days before the statement cut to have it post on that statement.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I had been thinking about applying for this card for awhile and yesterday I saw a Reddit post referencing an 80K +$50 statement credit. While I have seen plenty of 80K offers this was the first one I saw with a statement credit as well. This seemed almost as good as the 100K offer (Which I wasn't targeted for). Applied yesterday, did not get auto approved. Today the new account showed up. Very excited to get this card.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:55 am

Wife wasn't able to match the 100k from 80k after multiple attempts. Matching definitely seems dead unless you were already eligible to apply for the 100k targeted offer. I believe this also expired faster than Chase's typical 90 day match policy. Best bet seems to be to try to get the 100k when applying.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
I have an active IHG-MC card from about 3 years ago.
Can I apply for a second such card with Same IHG acct# and get the initial bonus points?
Can I keep both cards (linked to Same IHG acct#) and get free nights on Both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.