Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by zerosoul
Closed my account a week ago and account still shows up as Closed in my online chase portal. Should I wait until it disappears from my online account before re-applying? It's been 2 years since receiving the bonus.
In my experience, closed cards will stay in your online Chase account for years afterward & have no bearing on whether Chase will approve you for another. If it annoys you, go to your account settings & hide the offending card.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I am over 5/24 by about 2 and was approved for the IHG card after moving over credit from my Hyatt card. I got an email from IHG today offering me 100k points after $2,000 in 3 months to apply for the card. Sent Chase an SM asking them to match and will see how it goes.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Chase matched the 100k offer.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:25 am

I applied for this a couple weeks back with only the 60K offer. Thanks to the advice on here I called Chase (via the number on the IHG card on the back) and they said they would send a letter in the mail in 7-10 days, stating they will match the 80K offer after I spend the $1,000 and call them.

Did not inquire about the 100K offer, I need the points sooner than later and I don't see how I can get to $2,000 within the next couple of weeks.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:44 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Chase matched the 100k offer.
Did you apply for the 60 or 80K offer? Was there a cash bonus tied to the application that you used? We used a 60K, $100 statement credit offer, and we are not having any luck with a match, although initially we were told that if we met the spend, send a request and Chase would upgrade the offer.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:59 am

Just another data point. I applied last week for the IHG card at 80k/1k spend and got approved. I messaged chase to get in on the 100k/2k deal. They approved

We reviewed your credit card account and found that the
offer you requested was 100,000 bonus points after you
spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your
account is open.

Our records show you haven't met the spending requirement
of $2,000. After you have met the required spend, please
reply to this email to claim the offer.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I got an email invitation last night for a 100k/$2k signup bonus + 5k/AU. It has a 12 digit offer code and expires in about three weeks. I'm glad I've waited a few months since my 24 month period ended. I'll probably apply in two weeks, after I get closer to finishing the initial spend on another card I opened recently.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
In my experience, closed cards will stay in your online Chase account for years afterward & have no bearing on whether Chase will approve you for another. If it annoys you, go to your account settings & hide the offending card.
My Hyatt card auto removed itself from my Chase account ~1-2 months after closing automatically.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Did you apply for the 60 or 80K offer? Was there a cash bonus tied to the application that you used? We used a 60K, $100 statement credit offer, and we are not having any luck with a match, although initially we were told that if we met the spend, send a request and Chase would upgrade the offer.
I applied for the 80k offer. No cash bonus. Are you aware of an 80k offer with a cash bonus? Shame I missed it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:06 pm

I closed my card since my 24-months since bonus is coming up, I am still platinum apparently until the end of the year AND targeted for 100k offer on ihg.com!!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Recently applied and was approved for this IHG card for the 80k points and 5k points after AU makes first purchase plus no fee for first year offer.

Any experience in how long it takes for the IHG status to update in their system?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Recently applied and was approved for this IHG card for the 80k points and 5k points after AU makes first purchase plus no fee for first year offer.

Any experience in how long it takes for the IHG status to update in their system?
I got the card a few weeks ago (80k/5k). From when I received it about 7 business days (give or take).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:03 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
I closed my card since my 24-months since bonus is coming up, I am still platinum apparently until the end of the year AND targeted for 100k offer on ihg.com!!
Good to hear.. I'm in the same boat in September. ^
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:18 pm

Do points from the IHG credit card count toward elite status? Because my IHG account is showing 287 elite qualifying points and the only IHG activity I have had in months was 287 points from the IHG credit card.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:19 pm

My Hyatt card auto removed itself from my Chase account ~1-2 months after closing automatically.
I closed my Marriott card like 2 months ago and it still shows up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.