Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: Were changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, were changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Heres whats changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Yes, too much to expect.

If you don't want to answer, don't answer. Very simple.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Yes, too much to expect.

If you don't want to answer, don't answer. Very simple.
Reading 2 pages back is too much to expect... Hope those who hold such attitude have better luck in their real life than online babbling.

Exactly here. If you dont like my posts, then just dont read it instead of stalking them and post against them. Even simpler.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

If you think I'm "stalking" you, you should seek assistance.

Your daily "read the thread!" lectures are boring and counterproductive, and I guarantee I'm not the only one who feels that way.

People have quick questions and they ask them. Not everybody spends 20 hours per week worrying about CC details.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
People should start doing some work themselves so they would not cluster a thread with same questions that the answers are readily found.

[...]

Have some common sense, use some brain, instead of just asking questions and wanting quick answers without putting in any efforts.
This.

Nobody should have a problem with newcomers--but everybody should have an issue with lazy people (new or old) who parachute into a thread to ask a question that has been answered in an obvious place (wiki or last page or two of posts). You wouldn't put up with some clueless twit at a cocktail party who barges into a conversation without getting a feel for the discussion & tries to derail it, so why put up with equally loutish behavior online?

These people, and the posters who would excuse them, are the reason it's useful to have an Ignore List.

Last edited by beltway; Feb 15, 2016 at 5:53 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:55 pm
Suspended

We're not trying to cure cancer here or debating the merits of feminism or whatnot. It's absurd to expect people to read 67 pages to find out if Chase matches some $50 offer. (And again, for the hundredth time, the Wiki isn't even viewable to people on mobile devices.)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:58 pm

It's absurd to expect people to read 67 pages to find out if Chase matches some $50 offer. (And again, for the hundredth time, the Wiki isn't even viewable to people on mobile devices.)
Not asking to read the thread from the beginning, but at least the last 2-3 pages. Maybe if people did this there wouldn't be 67 pages to begin with? And therefore yes, asking people to search instead of giving them the answer on a platter will hopefully discourage that kind of lazy behavior in the future.

In this case the answer was in the very same page already so it's really indefensible.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:07 am
Suspended

You're preaching to the choir. Most people pop in, ask a question, and then leave.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mk712
. Maybe if people did this there wouldn't be 67 pages to begin with?
Cooooorect!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Adding to the data point:

Applied for the 60k offer 2/2/2016. Once I got the card and activated it I sent a secure message on chase.com and was told that they would give me the extra 20k. It doesn't appear to be coded on the account though. I was told to PM them once I hit the 1k spending threshold and they would apply the 20k.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mk712
Not asking to read the thread from the beginning, but at least the last 2-3 pages. Maybe if people did this there wouldn't be 67 pages to begin with? And therefore yes, asking people to search instead of giving them the answer on a platter will hopefully discourage that kind of lazy behavior in the future.

In this case the answer was in the very same page already so it's really indefensible.
Thank you for pitching in on this matter.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Cooooorect!
Looks like jsk1973 would always disagree!

You're preaching to the choir. Most people pop in, ask a question, and then leave.
As others point out, if nobody hands out an answer that can be found so easily with less than a minute's effort, then there would not be a 67 pages thread.

If people do want to put in an oz of effort, then why those who diligently read the thread and learn, should entertain those who just want a free lunch?

Oh, forgot, you can be the dedicated free lunch handler from now on.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dascc
Adding to the data point:

Applied for the 60k offer 2/2/2016. Once I got the card and activated it I sent a secure message on chase.com and was told that they would give me the extra 20k. It doesn't appear to be coded on the account though. I was told to PM them once I hit the 1k spending threshold and they would apply the 20k.
When Chase does manual matching, it is always relying on you inform them once you meet the original spend requirement. Then the adjustment would be made at the statement close of the cycle in which the requirement is met.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Happy
When Chase does manual matching, it is always relying on you inform them once you meet the original spend requirement. Then the adjustment would be made at the statement close of the cycle in which the requirement is met.
Good to know. This was the first time that I've requested a match to a different offer.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dascc
Good to know. This was the first time that I've requested a match to a different offer.
Dont worry. It will work exactly as they have told you in the SM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:24 pm

Are you guys getting instant approval?

Called the 877 number with 80K offer, submitted the app and it is pending for approval/ denial
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by radenzo
Are you guys getting instant approval?

Called the 877 number with 80K offer, submitted the app and it is pending for approval/ denial
My significant other, mom, and dad all got instant approvals when they called in. I can't apply I burned Chase about 4-5 years ago (even though I eventually did pay the small charge off.) No Chase products for me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.