Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
I had my CL lowered to $1000 a couple of weeks ago. My first statement just closed. Looking at the statement, I was not charged the AF. In fact, the AF is not listed anywhere on the statement. I had read that others saw it charged and then credited. Does the AF always charge on the first statement?
My account was opened at the end of December and just days later the AF posted on Jan 1st. Haven't yet lowered the CL as I've put on a lot of spend that still needs to post/clear and i need to pay it off before moving the CL over to another card. Assuming this was via SM?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
Just call. No waiting involved!

It's a $900 charge so i was thinking that if I spoke to the rep they may put me on the spot to explain the charge further.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
Have you all called or SM for CL reduction/change. What's the rationale that you tell them? Thanks
I did SM for CL reduction. I explained that I have several credit cards with chase and wanted to keep my total extended credit as low as possible. They wrote right back and said it was lowered. Some have said to expect it to automatically raise back up but as of yet it has not.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
My account was opened at the end of December and just days later the AF posted on Jan 1st. Haven't yet lowered the CL as I've put on a lot of spend that still needs to post/clear and i need to pay it off before moving the CL over to another card. Assuming this was via SM?
Correct, SM.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:24 am

Has anyone managed to get MPX purchases reimbursed?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Has anyone tried the "Buy Extra Miles" offer from United? It's not a good value to buy miles at 2.1 cents each, but I wouldn't say no to 6,500 miles for $137 if Chase would reimburse me for it... Or are they wise to that kind of thing since UA partners with Chase?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:57 pm

So I'm guessing that since I have not been charged the annual fee and my first statement has just posted that I will not be charged for the first year. I would like to raise the CL but I want to be sure I'm passed the point where they will charge me the AF. Should I be safe at this point?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by socrpro192
Has anyone bought any AA e gift cards lately and had them credited? I did my last year ones in $50 increments and it worked last year. Also so there is no clawback if you cancel after you get a new set of incidentals but before the AF is refundable?
working fine.

I got my card mid December, 2015 so I could use up $300 in credit for 2015 and then also $300 in 2016....I bought 2 $75 AA gift cards, and 2 $65 AA gift cards, spread apart by about 2 days each. I also did two $75 gift cards so far this year(might as well knock this $300 out early this year) The key is this, as someone else posted a few pages back. I believe it's routed differently but so far no problems with 6 different requests for reimbursements:

When secure messaging, I found I had trouble when I used subject of "account inquiry" but the subject "other/not listed" was the most successful. Maybe they're routed to different people or departments?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
We've now stayed away from Marriott/Ritz properties for a number of years because the cards that offer gold status still only have free nights as bonuses instead of points (and only nights in certain categories). It's amazing that this one fact has caused us to go to other destinations in the world and focus on other brands. We used to plan trips to the Virgin Islands based on Marriott/Ritz. This is the longest we've gone without touching this brand... years. I had almost forgotten about their resorts until we recently saw our few points about to expire.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
We've now stayed away from Marriott/Ritz properties for a number of years because the cards that offer gold status still only have free nights as bonuses instead of points (and only nights in certain categories). It's amazing that this one fact has caused us to go to other destinations in the world and focus on other brands. We used to plan trips to the Virgin Islands based on Marriott/Ritz. This is the longest we've gone without touching this brand... years. I had almost forgotten about their resorts until we recently saw our few points about to expire.
This is funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I was a SPG loyalist until I signed up for the 140k Ritz Card, now I channel my stays to Marriott/Ritz properties unless I'm trying to hit a bonus somewhere else. I also put most of my spend on this card unless I'm working towards another minimum spend. I originally got the card just for the bonus points, but I'm actually strongly considering keeping it for an extra year and paying the annual fee just because of how much I love this card.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
This is funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I was a SPG loyalist until I signed up for the 140k Ritz Card, now I channel my stays to Marriott/Ritz properties unless I'm trying to hit a bonus somewhere else. I also put most of my spend on this card unless I'm working towards another minimum spend. I originally got the card just for the bonus points, but I'm actually strongly considering keeping it for an extra year and paying the annual fee just because of how much I love this card.
You put almost all spend on this card...I am sorry
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
how long after the CL decrease does the AF drop? They changed mine to 1395 even though i asked for 1000 since i have a 395 bal from the AF fee that was billed. Will my entire AF drop w a 1395 CL?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by fulthrust7
how long after the CL decrease does the AF drop? They changed mine to 1395 even though i asked for 1000 since i have a 395 bal from the AF fee that was billed. Will my entire AF drop w a 1395 CL?
Yes, you will get AF refunded. Probably by the next statement.

Last edited by hiima; Jan 13, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
You put almost all spend on this card...I am sorry
No need to feel sorry for me.

Like I said, when I'm not trying to hit minimum spend, which means I use it for a couple $100 in purchases between when I hit minimum spend and get my next card. I realize my SPG Amex is the best for earning on an ongoing basis, but this card is the most "fun" to use. Its the only card I have that gets comments when I use it and makes for a little conversation Not only that, I use this one for all my airline purchases because of the travel/baggage insurance and for other random purchases because of the purchase protection.

I value points earned on this card at the value of a Rapid Rewards points since I'm just saving up to redeem for the Nights and Flights option. Each additional point I earn will just be towards getting the larger mileage package.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
No need to feel sorry for me.

Like I said, when I'm not trying to hit minimum spend, which means I use it for a couple $100 in purchases between when I hit minimum spend and get my next card. I realize my SPG Amex is the best for earning on an ongoing basis, but this card is the most "fun" to use. Its the only card I have that gets comments when I use it and makes for a little conversation Not only that, I use this one for all my airline purchases because of the travel/baggage insurance and for other random purchases because of the purchase protection.

I value points earned on this card at the value of a Rapid Rewards points since I'm just saving up to redeem for the Nights and Flights option. Each additional point I earn will just be towards getting the larger mileage package.
No need to explain yourself. I spent 10k last year, granted 5k was in the last month via MS. I wanted the extra year of gold status which is pretty useful. Free brekkie and dinner at HK HE marriott, yes please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.