Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 1:04 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Is the 70k + 5k + $50 offer gone? My acc just shows that I'm targeted for 70k + 5k.
Did you try to start a flight booking? Sometimes that adds the $50 credit to the offer on the last screen before paying for the flight.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Yeah, do a dummy booking and click on the offer from there to get the additional $50 statement credit.

I didn't get the offer for my MP card but I did when I applied for my SO. I wonder if I can SM Chase to give me the $50 statement credit as well? Anyone have a good experience with this?

Thank you.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by slm9555
I might be interested in this card primarily for the extra availability & reduced miles required for award tickets. I also like the 2 checked bags free. However, is it true that you have to pay for flights with the united card to get the two checked bags? For me that is a huge turn off because I would rather just book with my Chase CSR for 3x points or my Amex Plat. Some say that the card is worth the AF for the greater availability and reduced mileage requirement.
I found the following on the Explorer Card Offer details:

The primary Cardmember and one traveling companion on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their first standard checked bag free; authorized users are only eligible if they are on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember. To receive first standard checked bag free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus® number in their reservation and use their MileagePlus Explorer Card to purchase their ticket(s).

I agree that this is a major turnoff, especially since I fly United primarily, but this card may be worth it with the introduction of United super stinky Basic Economy fares, in which this card provides the following benefits for those (like myself) who don't have premier status or don't fly enough to accrue Premier status:
  1. Aforementioned checked baggage for The primary Cardmember and one traveling companion
  2. Priority boarding for primary Cardmember and companions on the same reservation.
  3. Full-sized carry-on bags for the primary cardmember only.

So overall, this card may be the best way to deal with United's stinky business practices for those of us unfrequent flyers who live near a United hub.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

So I've had this card for 4 years now. I don't think I've ever gotten the 2x annual lounge passes ever. I SMed Chase maybe 2 months back and they said something like "Yeah we can send you last year's pass and since your membership renewal is almost up, you will get 2017's passes very soon."

I double checked my mailing address and MP # and it was all correct. Yet nothing still.

Honestly it's not a huge deal for me as I have *Gold for international travel and domestic trips I'm usually in such a hurry I don't have time for lounge access. However, I'm still a bit annoyed. Anyone have any issues not receiving their lounge passes? Do they come in some special envelope I may be missing?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Newbie question. My SO is doing a 1k challenge and just applied for a chase mileage plus explorer card online..his first and we dont have and never had any banking relationships with chase ..surprised we did not get an instant approval online ..and the message was that we would receive info by US mail within 30 days. Not even online ..a really bad first impression both in terms of timing and customer channel prefererence His fico score is above 820..and has a 30 year credit history is this usual..
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:44 pm

One more question. Made some calls and the application is in verification..not open until monday..what are they usually verifying...income,app data?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
One more question. Made some calls and the application is in verification..not open until monday..what are they usually verifying...income,app data?
It's Chase, so this is not uncommon for them. Your excellent credit works against you.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
It's Chase, so this is not uncommon for them. Your excellent credit works against you.
Thanks for your post. I know it is somewhat in jest, but what does excellent credit work against you mean? It was just such a terrible first impression of banking, especially since they use the credit report for identity verification with customer service, but cant get you to credit verification. The disconnect between the channel you apply on, and the answer, and not providing an application number online or any contact information was just amazing. You really wonder whether anyone in marketing or IT ever tried to use their own systems to perform any functions.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks for your post. I know it is somewhat in jest, but what does excellent credit work against you mean?
Perhaps people with excellent credit are more likely to be targeted by identity thieves?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:46 pm

I know it is somewhat in jest, but what does excellent credit work against you mean.
In general, Chase is more picky about who they issue cards to. If you have an 820+ score, that means you have outstanding credit and more than likely a good history of paying your cards on time. Chase makes less money when you pay them on time. Chase also has the 5/24 rule, so Chases figures that you've used your excellent credit to take advantage of Chase's (or other banks') bonus offers, and you are flagged as someone who likes to open cards just to get a bonus. People with so-so credit probably don't have the ability to open 5 cards. But 820+ means that you do have that ability, and Chase will scrutinize you.

Last edited by cheaptom; Jun 11, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:52 pm

so I had a mileageplus explorer card for ~3 years. I'm getting mutliple offers for 70K miles if I get the card but I already have it. I am well under 4/24. Do you see any problem in cancelling the existing card and getting a new one within 24 hours turnaround?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Perhaps people with excellent credit are more likely to be targeted by identity thieves?
In general, Chase is more picky about who they issue cards to. If you have an 820+ score, that means you have outstanding credit and more than likely a good history of paying your cards on time. Chase makes less money when you pay them on time. Chase also has the 5/24 rule, so Chases figures that you've used your excellent credit to take advantage of Chase's (or other banks') bonus offers, and you are flagged as someone who likes to open cards just to get a bonus. People with so-so credit probably don't have the ability to open 5 cards. But 820+ means that you do have that ability, and Chase will scrutinize you.
I thought the second as well, but it turns out that the first response is probably more on target. The call this am was a 5 minute call. 4.5 minutes to verify identity and send a verification code, (which concerned them since it was sent to a different phone number than was on the application... duh.. office vs mobile) and then you are approved for a pretty hefty credit limit. This was for the explorer card, which yes, is a rewards card, but tied to an airline which is a little different. did take the benefit, and also closed a citi card at the same time, but not before moving most of the credit limit to another citi card to keep utilization low and score high.. interesting to see the call patterns and questions from citi and chase..
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:56 pm

Does this card provide you with reduced mileage awards for domestic economy or only international economy?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by slm9555
Does this card provide you with reduced mileage awards for domestic economy or only international economy?
Both. I used it for a KIX flight last year on short notice. I had no good options otherwise and this was a nice benefit.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Both. I used it for a KIX flight last year on short notice. I had no good options otherwise and this was a nice benefit.
If the standard domestic economy is 25k round trip how much is it with this card? I understand Europe round trip is normally 60k economy but with the card is only 30k? Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.