Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by NatasNJ
Hello. Sorry if this has been asked or answered before but I couldn't find it.

I have the Chase United Explorer Credit Card.
I plan to buy a United airline ticket.

1.) If I buy the ticket directly through United and use my United Credit Card I assume I will get my 1st bag checked. Question is will they consider a snowboard bag applicable to "standard bag"? I don't think they charge extra for this type of bag generally but I don't want them to pull off some BS "this isn't standard bag" so you owe $25.

2.) Assuming the snowboard bag is a valid bag for the credit. If I wanted to use Citi Thank You points to buy my ticket but try to charge at least a portion of the ticket to my United Credit Card would that allow me to get the free checked bag credit? (For Snowboard). I wasn't sure if anyone tried the partial payment for the ticket on the United card and if that gave them the free checked bag.

Thanks.
Interested in experience shares of others too. My Delta Amex and Citi AA are far more generous than the Chase card for bag fees. I.e. More passengers on reservation and no need to charge ticket to card. I'd like to use another chase card for my travel i.e. CSR rather than United, but doing so I believe would negate the free bags. Return for two people that's $100/trip.

I fly United rarely now, but might burn a bunch of UR points on UA travel this winter.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I got this card for the promo and to be my backup card. However as a UA Gold (lifetime) I don't see any point in any of the benefits beyond point earnings via spend.

Now, post Marriott/Starwood merger I see I can transfer points at a 1.3-1.4 cent conversion - making this card even worse (and only good when buying United Airline tickets). For $95 I'm thinking of not renewing. Any reason it should be kept?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Now, post Marriott/Starwood merger I see I can transfer points at a 1.3-1.4 cent conversion - making this card even worse (and only good when buying United Airline tickets). For $95 I'm thinking of not renewing. Any reason it should be kept?
Nope. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a strictly better card on a purely earnings basis, so unless you value the PQD waiver for Plat or the club passes I think the MPE is pretty toothless if you have UA status.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Nope. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a strictly better card on a purely earnings basis, so unless you value the PQD waiver for Plat or the club passes I think the MPE is pretty toothless if you have UA status.
I'm waiting for the 10K annual bonus to post next month and then I will cancel this card. I'm also a UA lifetime Gold, and this card is pretty pointless. I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and I will still keep the class UA Platinum card for the PDQ waiver and 10K annual EQMs.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:24 am

I got this card for the promo and to be my backup card. However as a UA Gold (lifetime) I don't see any point in any of the benefits beyond point earnings via spend.

I don't have any status like you guys. I paid the AF solely because of the "Any seat Any time" card benefit, which allows me to find more award seats. But is $95 worth it? Only the card holder can answer the question for himself/herself.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lw7878
I don't have any status like you guys. I paid the AF solely because of the "Any seat Any time" card benefit, which allows me to find more award seats. But is $95 worth it? Only the card holder can answer the question for himself/herself.
The benefits have value if you don't have UA status. A number of them (free bag, G2 boarding, XN award space) are actually quite valuable. It's just that you get all that and more starting at UA Silver, at which point the card seems kind of silly for a $95 AF.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by lw7878
Is this true? Do UA Gold members also get this benefit or is this benefit better with the card only?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
One reason I have kept it, even with status, is cpus on award tickets which have worked for me a few times in years past. But for folks without status it's well worth 95 bucks if you fly them at least twice a year - extra award seats, free bag, group 2 boarding, club passes. I value that for a casual flyer that uses it one round trip per year at breaking even. And small benefits like ife discounts help families too. Good card to have for one person in a family/couple if you can make use of the above mentioned things.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
One reason I have kept it, even with status, is cpus on award tickets which have worked for me a few times in years past.
What does cpus on award tickets mean?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
What does cpus on award tickets mean?
Complimentary premier upgrades on tickets purchased with miles. It only works if you are a premier member and have the credit card.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
Complimentary premier upgrades on tickets purchased with miles. It only works if you are a premier member and have the credit card.
Interesting. I am a UA Gold member. So you are saying if I issue an award in economy then I can still get in queue to get a biz class upgrade? And this perk is only available to cardholders?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this true? Do UA Gold members also get this benefit or is this benefit better with the card only?
Access to the first tier of expanded award inventory (last-seat Standard Awards JN and YN, and Economy Saver Awards XN) is available to CC holders and any United elite Silver or higher. The XN space is an unpublished benefit of the card which may be a long-standing IT bug that no one has ever fixed.

The second tier (Business Saver Awards IN) is only available to UA Platinum and higher, and not to any form of CC holder regardless of CC held.

Interesting. I am a UA Gold member. So you are saying if I issue an award in economy then I can still get in queue to get a biz class upgrade? And this perk is only available to cardholders?
Yes, assuming your route is otherwise eligible for complimentary upgrades. This is the only card benefit other than the two Club passes which is not available to United elites (must be Global Services to get the benefit without the card). Only the primary cardholder, and not any same-PNR companions, will be eligible for the upgrade.

Last edited by findark; Sep 28, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
The second tier (Business Saver Awards IN) is only available to UA Platinum and higher, regardless of CC held.
FTFY...still available to those UA Platinum that have MPE.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Access to the first tier of expanded award inventory (last-seat Standard Awards JN and YN, and Economy Saver Awards XN) is available to CC holders and any United elite Silver or higher. The XN space is an unpublished benefit of the card which may be a long-standing IT bug that no one has ever fixed.

The second tier (Business Saver Awards IN) is only available to UA Platinum and higher, and not to any form of CC holder regardless of CC held.

Yes, assuming your route is otherwise eligible for complimentary upgrades. This is the only card benefit other than the two Club passes which is not available to United elites (must be Global Services to get the benefit without the card). Only the primary cardholder, and not any same-PNR companions, will be eligible for the upgrade.
So in the chart you linked, that would be:

1. Within the continental US.
2. Continental US to Hawaii
3. Continental US to Alaska, Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Central America
4. Continental US to Oceania

Of course on the last one, any kind of upgrades to Oceania is pretty rare?

Also why they may be waiting the upgrade co-pay for MileagePlus upgrade awards to Oceania?

So do you automatically get queued for upgrades if you have an MPE or how would you get yourself on a queue, other than already be in the queue by virtue of being eligible for CPU?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Of course on the last one, any kind of upgrades to Oceania is pretty rare?

Also why they may be waiting the upgrade co-pay for MileagePlus upgrade awards to Oceania?

So do you automatically get queued for upgrades if you have an MPE or how would you get yourself on a queue, other than already be in the queue by virtue of being eligible for CPU?
The Oceana row will only apply to inter-island flights like GUM-YAP. The only flight from Oceana eastwards out of the region is GUM-HNL, which is explicitly exempted from eligibility for CPU.

You should automatically be added to the upgrade list if you have the MPE card in your profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.