Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best way to double or triple dip for Freedom Q4 2015.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

The freedom has 5x on amazon this quarter as I'm sure everyone knows. However I am planning on maxing out the category with two freedom cards in the next few days and was wondering if anyone has thought of a way to double or triple dip the points yet. You can buy through amazon on the United mileageX App and that gives you 1x per dollar of United miles plus the 5x for the freedom effectively giving you 6x. but I'm wondering if anyone as any other portal suggestions to make this more beneficial. I am only familiar with my go too portals but if anyone knows of any other portals with amazon being a partner i'd love to hear about it!

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Carsten1408
You can buy through amazon on the United mileageX App and that gives you 1x per dollar of United miles plus the 5x for the freedom effectively giving you 6x.
Have you confirmed this works?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
Have you confirmed this works?

I have not Check if this example works exactly but I have double dipped with the mileageX app before. I often use my sapphire to pay for food through the app at places like Panera, ihop, and BJs and I always get the 2 points per dollar of the sapphire plus the 3-5points per dollar on the Mileage plus app. so I am pretty confident that it will work and will be confirming on a small order i am making this week. However i'm looking to see if I can double or triple dip with a portal that gives me more than 1x. If i could get like 4x or 5x like some of portal offerings than we are talking 9x or 10x which if I maxed out the freedom category for two cards is 30,000 points so hopefully there is a portal out there somewhere.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Carsten1408
I have not Check if this example works exactly but I have double dipped with the mileageX app before. I often use my sapphire to pay for food through the app at places like Panera, ihop, and BJs and I always get the 2 points per dollar of the sapphire plus the 3-5points per dollar on the Mileage plus app. so I am pretty confident that it will work and will be confirming on a small order i am making this week. However i'm looking to see if I can double or triple dip with a portal that gives me more than 1x. If i could get like 4x or 5x like some of portal offerings than we are talking 9x or 10x which if I maxed out the freedom category for two cards is 30,000 points so hopefully there is a portal out there somewhere.
Purchases through MPX should classify as a United purchase, not Amazon.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:34 pm

givingassistant.org
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I heard on reddit that one reason why MPX worked with bonus categories is because even though the purchase is via MPX/United, they put the correct category in which triggers the bonus.

The question is (haven't checked for an answer yet) is since this quarter is Amazon, a specific merchant and not a category, how it will work since the category bonus is AMAZON and not category based (like restaurants/fast food, which should transmit correctly). In other words, not sure if MPX simply transmitting a category of 'Bookstores' or whatever Amazon is will trigger the bonus points.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:51 pm

I'm not absolutely sure about this since I only read it online somewhere, but I think MPX codes as United only for AmEx cards and with Chase it codes as the merchant category. So I would think Amazon GCs via MPX would get the 5x on the Freedom. (I didn't read anything about Citi WRT Prestige reimbursements.)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:44 pm

Made a small MPX*Amazon purchase. No 5x bonus.

I feel like this should maybe warrant a complaint.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:58 pm

No, it doesn't warrant a complaint. The Freedom category is purchase at Amazon.com, not MPX*Amazon.

The reason it works for things like restaurants, is because those go by MCC and not a specific merchant. You did NOT place a purchase with Amazon.com using your Freedom, you placed a purchase with United to get a gift card for Amazon.com.

"What types of purchases qualify for 5% cash back in the Amazon.com category?
All purchases you make at Amazon.com, including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.com’s marketplace are included. 5% cash back does not apply to purchases made at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other website operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates and subsidiaries. "
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:12 pm

I actually don't care about getting the points, as it was a small purchase and I don't want to use up any Goodwill for that, but more that I think it should count in the future.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:06 pm

But why do you think it should count? The category is for making purchases at Amazon.com with your freedom card. Not for buying an Amazon gift card from United and then using that to buy from Amazon.com.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:56 pm

What if there's a 5x quarterly bonus at United next year, I'm assuming you wouldn't think that'd be eligible for the bonus?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by NotYouTu
But why do you think it should count? The category is for making purchases at Amazon.com with your freedom card. Not for buying an Amazon gift card from United and then using that to buy from Amazon.com.
im not sure how this amazon and freedom card works but i just tried mpx on Bdubs and my CSP card. For some reason, i thought it might trigger my travel x2, but it triggered dining x2. :\

But i can confirm, double dipping CSP with mpx purchases...
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:09 am

That sounds correct, MPX passes along the MCC for whatever the card is for, so in your case dining. AMEX on the other hand sees it as United, so you should see it in the travel category.

The Freedom category is Amazon.com specifically, not bookstore or online store, so MCC doesn't matter.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by NotYouTu
I would assume no, because I know it uses the correct Merchant code on Visa/MC, but also because with entries on your card like:

MPX*Boston Market
Categories: Restaurant, Eating Place

I would find it hard to argue that that's really a United Airlines purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.