Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any issues with using UR as cash for flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

I have UR points. Not enough for my award booking on BA, but enough to make a dent if I book the flight directly. It is a QR flight.
Basically we would shave several hundred dollars of the cost of the flight by using the UR as cash. I've never booked this way before. Is this possible? Any issues if we have a problem with the flight? Cancellation, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:47 am

No issues. The points redemption is on the front end and between you and Chase, in essence. On the back end, the travel agency uses their blanket credit card to buy you the ticket from the airline. Whether you redeem the minimum points or maximum, there's no difference once the ticket comes out.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much. So I can make any seat assignment changes through the airline directly just as I would with a ticket I purchase via the airlines website? It would be for two one way business class tickets. We always book through the airline and never through a third party or travel agent.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:53 am

Right. Of course, you don't decide the fare class, just travel class. So if said class allows seats to be assigned early on, then you can. Not sure I can think of an example where you would not be able to, but you get the idea. You will get a record locator for that airline in your confirmation and from there, it's yours to handle.

If you were to change or cancel the ticket, you need to go back to the agency, as the airline would not have issued it (would be the case with most agency transactions).
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hilton-gold
Right. Of course, you don't decide the fare class, just travel class. So if said class allows seats to be assigned early on, then you can. Not sure I can think of an example where you would not be able to, but you get the idea. You will get a record locator for that airline in your confirmation and from there, it's yours to handle.

If you were to change or cancel the ticket, you need to go back to the agency, as the airline would not have issued it (would be the case with most agency transactions).
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.