Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 am

Best Time to Apply for New Card

I'm considering applying for either the Chase Ink Plus or the CSP.

Maybe a crazy question...Is there a better chance of immediate online approval if you apply during regular working hours, or during non-regular working hours?

I have a Chase Freedom VISA Sig. opened 8 years and 827 FICO.

Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Sounds like you should just apply. Unless you opened a lot of cards recently, you seem like the type that would easily be approved
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by The Suburbs
Results (in order of apps):

Chase Freedom - instant approval
Chase British Airways - instant approval
AMEX Plat - instant approval
AMEX EveryDay - instant approval
Citi TY Premier - instant approval
Congratulations. You've got a lot of minimum spend to meet.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Congratulations. You've got a lot of minimum spend to meet.
Thanks! Was actually planning on delaying the AoR until 91 days after my last two apps, but the Freedom offer was ending and the Platinum offer (via snailmail) was expiring even sooner. It ended up working out well.

Amex Plat was 100k for 3k/3mo, so lower than the standard offer/spend. Luckily there's a promo going on right now in my area for $500 VGC that basically allows me to MS what I need to with a decent profit (before considering points earned on the MS). Also, I had some other decent sized purchases/expenses to help (new mattress, auto insurance).

I've learned a lot from FT and hope to be able to contribute some in the future!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Auto approved for SW Premier
- 26 new accounts since 8/2013
- 6 with Chase, 3 of them closed
- First Personal Chase since 11/2014
- Turned down for SW Biz in 3/2015
- All Chase card limits lowered to $5k a few months ago
^ Great, things aren't as glum on the Chase Personal front as I had thought. Thanks for posting that.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Auto approved for SW Premier
- 26 new accounts since 8/2013
- 6 with Chase, 3 of them closed
- First Personal Chase since 11/2014
- Turned down for SW Biz in 3/2015
- All Chase card limits lowered to $5k a few months ago
Originally Posted by Brugge
^ Great, things aren't as glum on the Chase Personal front as I had thought. Thanks for posting that.
To add to this, had 8 card AOR late 3/2015 and this approval was part of a 5 card AOR (not that it matters since Chase was applied first)

I still think the key is reduced limits and auto approval (similar to Barclay) for best chance and was thoroughly surprised it was auto approved because of the hefty AOR less than 3 months ago.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:56 pm

I still think the key is reduced limits and auto approval (similar to Barclay) for best chance
Well, you're never going to win the oh-so-coveted Post of the Week Award that way.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
Maybe a crazy question...Is there a better chance of immediate online approval if you apply during regular working hours, or during non-regular working hours?
Only if your credit would significantly change in that timeframe.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
Well, you're never going to win the oh-so-coveted Post of the Week Award that way.
I don't follow but cool.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by dingo
I am putting on a conference later this year at a Hyatt property and thought i'd get the credit card to maximize points earning potential. So I applied for the Chase Hyatt card.....

Today, I get the decline letter with reasons given:
Too many credit accounts in relation to my income
They have already extended all of the credit that they can to me

I'm torn as to whether I want to ask for reconsideration. I've never been declined before, so I was kind of surprised.

Also, I could pull credit off the Marriott or Sapphire card and put it on the Hyatt card.
Why not just shift the credit?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by chongl
Sounds like you should just apply. Unless you opened a lot of cards recently, you seem like the type that would easily be approved
+1, time of day doesn't matter. Just go ahead and apply.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:00 pm

Data: Instant approval for Chase IHG card for $29,000. Two open Southwest cards and open Ritz Carlton. Lowered my credit limit on all 3 existing cards more than a month ago.
maybe a dozen inquiries in last 12 months.

Adding to my data point above: after my IHG instant approval, I got an Amex instant approval. Then decided what the heck for another Chase app, since the hp's will be merged.

Shockingly, was instantly approved for the 2nd card (BA 50k offer) with another $29k credit line...

Last edited by cashcow; Jun 30, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by aza72
Also, how many were in the past 1 month? It can day a billing cycle before a card appears, so chase may not know about them.
6 Chase cards, 3 Chase cards in the last 3 months... so they definitely know about them. 2 of them in the last week and a half. Both after calling reconsideration and shifting credit.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:31 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Agreed, esp since AF is now $125. I'll likely cancel my CSP this year as I don't see enough benefits to pay AF again (I kept it this year b/c I happened to be in the middle of a trip delay claim when AF came up).

CSP has excellent travel insurance coverage, but last I checked several other Chase cards offer the same benefits (or similar enough - the big one for me is coverage on award tickets, which only Chase cards provide).

I do hope TYP adds a few useful hotel partners.
Can you explain the coverage on award tickets? I looked through the T&C and didn't see it. Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:10 am
RNE

Originally Posted by beltway
Winner of the oh-so-coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

RNE, welcoming you as my first laureate to achieve "oh-so" status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.