Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
Question here: I applied on my wife's name for a Fairmont card and got the page where they asked me to call with a reference number. It's been almost a week and I haven't asked my wife to call them yet. Is there a chance they they want to reduce the credit line from other cards and move it over to Fairmont and more importantly, unless we call, they want approve the card. From what I have read here, the best strategy is not to call.
I have had two where we received the reference number and the request to call in. The first, I didn't call in because we were on a southwest flight and by time we were on the ground, I didn't have a reference number anymore, so I just left it. They called me after about a month and offered to let me move limits. The other had the same message, I immediately called with my reference number and after a brief set of questions, was denied, even after I offered to close another card to open the new one.
In my experience, if they are willing to move limits around, they will call you with that option. If you call them, by time you get to that option, it will have already been ruled out by the conversation leading up to it.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA peon
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Do not call in unless you're in some sort of rush to get denied. . .
That should be in the Wiki!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Compare and contrast:
We're gonna need a bigger boatdata set.
A few months back there are a few data points in the BA thread that the posters confirmed getting the bonuses even though their 25K/$10K were less than 24 months before.

My gut feeling is, if you could make the spend, just do it if your initial bonus in the past was over 24 months.

Have we not learned now that these days it is better NOT to contact Chase when things aint clear cut? This applies to both the application status AND bonus questions.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Looking for more data points:

I applied for Ink Cash on 9/28 and got the 30 Day message. It has now been five business days and I am still getting "30 days"on the automated line. Has anyone been approved after more than five days from apping and getting that message?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:49 pm

Am an unabashed credit limit haircut/trimmer.

My 3rd Chase card in 2015 (4th total). APPROVED. Hyatt with $28K limit. Will haircut on activation to probably $6k.
My DW's 3rd Chase card in 2015 (3rd total). APPROVED. Hyatt with $28K limit. Will haircut on activation to probably $6k.

This will be my 7th new account in 2015. My DW's 5th. Income $112k.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Soulag
I applied for Ink Cash on 9/28 and got the 30 Day message. It has now been five business days and I am still getting "30 days"on the automated line. Has anyone been approved after more than five days from apping and getting that message?
Yes, people have been approved after more than a week. Be patient, if they'd already make a decision you would be getting a different message on the automated line.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:36 pm

Yes, we have been approved three times after receiving the 30 day message, twice pretty much at the 30 day mark. It happens quite a lot for business cards.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
You may want to wait for a little while, just because on the application there's the little box you have to check that indicates if you've been denied credit by Chase in the past six months. I don't know whether or not that automatically disqualifies someone from being approved for a new CC, but you might want to wait for a bit.
How long do you suggest based on recent data?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:26 am

Is the 30K Explorer or 4oK Sapphire the best right now if upfront miles is all I am looking at?

Last edited by randys1; Oct 3, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:59 am
RNE

Originally Posted by randys1
Is the 30K Explorer or 4oK Sapphire the best right now if upfront miles is all I am looking at?
40k Chase Ultimate Rewards are worth much more than 30k United redeemable miles—assuming you can get approved for that card.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by RNE
40k Chase Ultimate Rewards are worth much more than 30k United redeemable miles—assuming you can get approved for that card.
Thanks, have one in my darling wife's name now but the first year about to expire, so as to not pay the annual fee, I just filled out the form and was approved for one in my name.

Will transfer the points in wife's acct to United then cancel.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mulliganman30
How long do you suggest based on recent data?
6 months.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:29 pm

This morning I applied back to back for SW Plus and SW Premiere 50,000 point offers.
One got the "7-10 days" message and the other the "call us" message. Following advice here my plan was to sit tight and wait. Well, my wait was short. Just now I logged into Chase and there are two new accounts opened for me! Strange no communication, but it looks like 2016 Companion Pass here I come!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
6 months.
Sadly, yes. This is Chase's way of saying "it's not that I don't like you, I just think we need some time apart, you know, to see other people." Go ahead and apply for some Citi cards and then come back after a few months. She'll probably be ready to receive you with open arms.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
CSP Should I call recon?

Hello all and thanks for the awesome advice here. I'm left with one question that I've not found a definitive answer to and would be grateful for some advice from the pros or those of you with a similar recent experience.

My situation: just applied yesterday for the CSP and got the 7 to 10 day message. Long time Chase relationship, 800+ credit score, 4 HP's for individual accounts and 2 as an AU, 3 of the 6 are closed accounts - (Citi Exec's). I held off t0 allow a couple of apps to fall off the 2 year window before I applied. And...I've made it a point to use my BA, Hyatt, Chase Ink cards fairly often in the past few months.

Question: should I call reconsideration? I will be prepared to answer questions...not really looking for more credit but will be traveling more and benefits ABC and F would be very helpful - I'd be more than happy to reallocate credit lines, etc. (The above is true and the card would be used regularly.)

Thanks in advance to those of you who can help. I'm so thankful for the entire FT community!

Last edited by aglasgow; Oct 4, 2015 at 10:19 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.